The Hotline: Lott elected Minority Whip by vote of 25-24 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:11:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hotline: Lott elected Minority Whip by vote of 25-24 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hotline: Lott elected Minority Whip by vote of 25-24  (Read 9136 times)
Conan
conan

« on: November 15, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »

No it is secret ballot.

After seeing Reid constantly outmanuever Frist, I am glad we have Lott back on the leadership team.

I don't think Lott is any better at maneuvering than Frist, though I think he's slightly better at behind-the-scene work (which is what a whip does) and my gut tells me, better than Lamar Alexander would have been. 

Of course, McConnell is not a public figure, so that means Lott will probably be front and center again in the media (for better or worse, can't tell right now).  Ironically, the one thing my Al-like grandfather and me agreed on was that Lott really got a raw deal on the whole Strom Thurmond incident.  I suspect many here will not agree.

Having McConnell rather than Frist at minority leader is where the difference will be found.  Frist didn't know jack about Senate rules, whereas McConnell is a master of them.  That's where the difference.
I dont think what he said was racist. But I do wonder what he thought would be better had Thurmond been president.
Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:11:44 PM »

Lott was a fantastic choice to be Republican Whip?

Why?

1) He has long tenure in the Senate, he knows the rules.
2) He has served in the minority, and majority.
3) He is a nice person, unlike a lot of staunch Conservatives.
4) He is able to work across the asile despite his views. Some conservatives, like Saxby Chambliss, hate democrats and think all democrats go to hell.
I have always liked Trent Lott for those reasons. I have said so previously on this forum.
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:14:40 PM »

LOTT'S going to WHIP MINORITIES!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies