Anyone who still believes Fox News is "fair and balanced"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:16:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone who still believes Fox News is "fair and balanced"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anyone who still believes Fox News is "fair and balanced"?  (Read 3824 times)
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:10 AM »

The average IQ of someone who watches FAUX rarely climbs above 70.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »

NBC interview on Sun afternoon, I don't know the exact time or reporter giving the interview

There's no mention of this interview in the news search or on the NBC News web site.  There are no transcripts, no blog mentions and no relevant Google results.  I am not convinced that this interview exists.

Ok, don't be convinced but I saw the interview and they flashed on the bottom of the screen, "Turner says he is 'progressive liberal'"
He probably saw this on FOX.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 07:50:10 AM »

Fox News = more fair and balanced than MSNBC and CNN

Examples, please. Interviews with Ted Turner don't count, I mean actual footage from CNN or MSNBC.

Anyway, anyone who really thinks Fox News is fair and balanced should watch "Outfoxed".
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 07:54:13 AM »

Alcon, are you seriously suggesting CNN does not have a liberal bias?  I mean seriously you can't get more liberal than hiring someone like Anderson Cooper

When did I suggest that?

And, yes, you can.  CNN may have its biases, but there are news sources that don't even bother to assume the pretext of neutrality.  Just look at the U.K. newspapers.

My point is Fox News may be slightly conservative tilted, they just are so far to the right of other news stations.  Basically think of it like this.  If they are 2 to the right on a scale of 1 to 10, there is a big difference from 0 to about -4 where most networks are

That's like saying Hitler was slightly conservatively titled, but just so far to the right to his political opponents.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »

The only US news show worth watching is PBS's Newshour with Jim Lehrer. It's only biased if you consider reporting in depth about worldwide issues leftist.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:12 AM »

Media bias is an inherent reality.  It's a shame, of course, but newscasters are people with opinions too.  And most people in journalism are liberal; it's not a conspiracy, but it's a business that tends to attract anti-authority folks, who are more likely to be liberal.
No.
It attracts people who prefer soundbytes to thought, and people ready to report what their boss wants to hear (which includes, but isn't limited to, what the boss thinks the public wants to hear). It's also a job with a relatively low medium age. And of course, a disproportionate amount of journalists grew up in the cities where the major media outlets happen to be.
It's chockfull of FDPish types. That it's dominated by registered Democrats in the US is due entirely to the particular oddities of the US political alignment.
And of course, these Democrats are heavily concentrated in a particular wing of the party - and (except on purely social issues) it's certainly not the left one.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 11:00:31 AM »

Fox's bias is effective in influencing only the already stupid.  CNN, CBS, etc. exert a much more effective rightwing and pro-american influence due to their subtlety - they are actually capable of duping sentient persons.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »

Fox News is a joke.  All of it.  I used to read it simply to balance out the opinions of the BBC and CNN and others... but I don't really read them anymore.

I get most of my news from the BBC, the Minneapolis Star Tribune and our local paper.  For national outlets, I sometimes read CNN..

I've learned that all news sources have some sort of bias, even if it is very slight... So I just read as many sources as possible and make up my own mind.

And I stay clear of opinion pieces.  Fox News is full of opinion pieces.  I hate Fox News.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »

CNN is a joke too. Two examples from just today:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200611150004/
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 02:40:02 PM »

Note Alcon, Tim Groseclose is a conservative and his research design is flawed.

Ultimately, there will always be claims of media bias not necessarily because each side thinks the media is biased against them but because it is in one's interest to claim media bias even if one does not think the media is biased against you. After all, all political positioning is relative, and it is always in one's best interest to tilt source perceptions toward one's favor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 04:51:10 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2006, 04:54:21 PM by jfern »

Ultimately, there will always be claims of media bias not necessarily because each side thinks the media is biased against them but because it is in one's interest to claim media bias even if one does not think the media is biased against you. After all, all political positioning is relative, and it is always in one's best interest to tilt source perceptions toward one's favor.

But the media really is biased. Why else did the US media never report on the Florida scrub list, when the BBC reported on it?

The media refused to criticize Bush for a year after 9/11. If they were liberal, they would have hardcore attacked him being weak on terrorism on Sept. 12th, 2001, like Salon.com did:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=41549.0
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 04:54:18 PM »

And what are you trying to say?
Deano963

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 05:41:21 PM »

LOL.

I was just watching Fox News about an hour ago and the headline was so predictable:

"Powerless Pelosi: Good or bad for the stock market?"

I guess since her choice for majority leader - John Murtha - lost, she is powerless in Fox News' opinion. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that Steny Hoyer is much more ideologically in tune with the rest of the Democratic caucus, now could it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »

Fox news has become basically a parody of itself. On election day when the exit polls came in, they said the exit polls were wrong, and they'd wait for the actual votes to call races. I guess they think that the votes are wrong too. And the pre-election opinion polls.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 06:49:14 PM »

But the media really is biased. Why else did the US media never report on the Florida scrub list, when the BBC reported on it?

All that proves is that the US media is conservative relative to the BBC. Or that the BBC is liberal relative to the US media. Both believable. I think the media as a whole was somewhat conservatively favoring from about 1997/98 when I first started paying attention, until really very recently, 2005/06. I remember for example TIME Magazine ran a glowing article on Jeb Bush the year he was first running for Governor in Florida in 1998.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sept. 12th would have been too early for that crap among the MSM. The recriminations among the bureaucracy didn't even become serious until much later.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 08:40:11 AM »

Fox news has become basically a parody of itself. On election day when the exit polls came in, they said the exit polls were wrong, and they'd wait for the actual votes to call races. I guess they think that the votes are wrong too. And the pre-election opinion polls.

Heck, maybe we should just be done with it and let Fox call the elections from now on.

Actually, on second thoughts, let's not.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies