Pakistan Moves Toward Altering Rape Law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:59:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pakistan Moves Toward Altering Rape Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pakistan Moves Toward Altering Rape Law  (Read 1128 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:11:04 AM »

By SALMAN MASOOD
Published: November 16, 2006

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan, Nov. 15 — After months of delay, the Pakistani government on Wednesday finally pushed legislation through the lower house of Parliament to amend rape laws that human rights advocates say have led to punishment for thousands of innocent victims.

The passage of the legislation, which has been opposed by Islamist parties, is seen as a litmus test for President Pervez Musharraf’s commitment to steering the country toward moderation and enlightenment. Because of the pressure by the Islamic groups, though, the measure passed on Wednesday still contains provisions that concern human rights groups.

To become law, the bill must be approved by the Senate, which is expected, and by General Musharraf. Months of wrangling and political opposition cast doubts on whether the government would succeed in passing the changes to the current law, the Hudood ordinance, under which women who report rape can end up being prosecuted for adultery. The law was enacted in 1979 by a former military dictator, Gen. Muhammad Zia al-Haq, to appease Islamists who contended that he was secularizing the country.

Late Wednesday, General Musharraf made an appearance on state-run television and congratulated the nation on the passage of the measure, the Women’s Protection bill, saying, “This process of empowerment, protection of women will continue.”

Under the Hudood ordinance, rape is included in matters covered under Islamic law, like marriage and divorce. A woman who reports that she has been raped must produce four male witnesses to prove it. If she fails to do so, she can be prosecuted for adultery. Thousands of women have been punished under the law, often on the flimsiest evidence. That risk has kept many women from trying to bring their attackers to justice.

The legislation passed Wednesday gives judges the discretion to try rape cases in a criminal rather than an Islamic court. The new legislation allows forensic and circumstantial evidence to be used as a basis for convictions, as with other crimes...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »

Good for them.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »

They should definitely change those backward laws.

To punish women for 'adultery' on such flimsy evidence is just as bad as punishing men for rape on very flimsy evidence (are you listening, Nifong?)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:56:35 PM »

About time. As much as I detest Islam-bashing, I find sharia law absolutely abhorrent.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:13:12 PM »

About time. As much as I detest Islam-bashing, I find sharia law absolutely abhorrent.

As you can see, there are reasons sometimes why islam comes under criticism.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:35:32 PM »

There are reasons why aspects of Islam come under criticism, absolutely.  I still maintain that the religion itself is not incompatible with the 21st century, however, with the justification that if it weren't, then there would not be 2-3 million Muslims living peacefully within the United States.  I personally find those who actively want a "War on Islam" to be far more frightening than Islam itself.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »

Of course, but I think Gabu hit the nail on the head earlier - there are aspects to Islam I find disagreeable, but to criticise the entire religion because of it makes little sense, especially seeing as the majority of Muslims living in western countries have had absolutely no trouble adjusting to life in the West and don't want to enforce sharia law.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 01:27:39 PM »

Of course, but I think Gabu hit the nail on the head earlier - there are aspects to Islam I find disagreeable, but to criticise the entire religion because of it makes little sense, especially seeing as the majority of Muslims living in western countries have had absolutely no trouble adjusting to life in the West and don't want to enforce sharia law.

Finally someone's talking about how they disagree with islam, and not being a complete moron. Good on you Michael!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 02:41:19 PM »

Finally someone's talking about how they disagree with islam, and not being a complete moron. Good on you Michael!

Thanks for giving a mention towards the person with whom he was essentially just completely agreeing... Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »

Great for Pakistan Smiley

(and yay for Gabu and Michael Z, too)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length