Brits: do you want a constitution?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:59:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brits: do you want a constitution?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brits: do you want a constitution?  (Read 1406 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »

Does it bother the British citizens here that you don't have a constitution, or do you think it's beneficial?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:45:01 AM »

We do have a constitution. It's just that it's an unwritten one.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:30:39 AM »

Does it bother the British subjects.....

corrected
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:45:50 AM »

What difference does that make?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:22:05 AM »

Well, lets' see what the dictionary defines as a "citizen" and a "subject".

sub‧ject  /n., adj. ˈsʌbdʒɪkt; v. səbˈdʒɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[n., adj. suhb-jikt; v. suhb-jekt]
–noun

1. a person who is under the dominion or rule of a sovereign.
2. a person who owes allegiance to a government and lives under its protection: four subjects of Sweden.
3.    being under dominion, rule, or authority, as of a sovereign, state, or some governing power; owing allegiance or obedience (often fol. by to).

cit‧i‧zen  /ˈsɪtəzən, -sən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sit-uh-zuhn, -suhn]
–noun
1.   a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection (distinguished from alien).
2.   an inhabitant of a city or town, esp. one entitled to its privileges or franchises.

Though the differences may seem subtle, I'd say they are quite profound.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »

And like I asked you the last time you brought this up and you failed to answer, just how many Brits do you think would 'obey' if their monarch ordered them to bow down to her?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 10:09:04 AM »

And like I asked you the last time you brought this up and you failed to answer, just how many Brits do you think would 'obey' if their monarch ordered them to bow down to her?

I imagine quite a few would. I doubt Al would, he's a bit of a maverick like that...this boards demographics are in no way at all indicative of the real world.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:59:23 AM »

I imagine quite a few would. I doubt Al would, he's a bit of a maverick like that...this boards demographics are in no way at all indicative of the real world.

I'd disagree strongly.  Few Brits these days would actually listen if she decided to try and exercize any real power whatsoever.  However, since neither of us are British and we both lack any kind of evidence, this isn't the kind of argument that is likely to go anywhere.

However, how many Americans do you think would bow down if for some reason the President ordered them to?  For the sake of argument, let's assume that it'd be a more popular one.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2006, 11:40:52 AM by Michael Z »

Most people I know don't want a written constitution. Either that or they don't really care. Things are working fine as they are, why have one? This country has been doing fine (well, more or less) for a couple of millenia without it.

Notwithstanding that there are documents, such as the Magna Carta and the EU Human Rights charter, which basically function as unofficial constitutions. And if we had an official one, we'd probably just ignore it.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 01:46:32 PM »

We've managed for about a thousand years now without one; we can probably manage another thousand.

I fear that a written constitution would be used by the human rights brigade and the chattering classes (and their counterparts on the rabid right) to get the Courts and the Judges to do what they haven't got enough support to achieve through the ballot box.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »

I think it shows how antiquated States' thinking is rather than any of us who are citizens in modern constitutional monarchies.

We know the Monarch has no power - she's a figurehead and rather than a symbol of tyranny etc etc wank wank - she's a figure of apolitical continuity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies