Tom Tancredo to visit MSU on the 29th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Tom Tancredo to visit MSU on the 29th
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tom Tancredo to visit MSU on the 29th  (Read 2170 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2006, 04:02:21 AM »

Hopefully I'll get to meet him and have a conversation, see whether I'd support him in a 2008 run.  I'm sure plenty of protestors will be there.  Your thoughts?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 04:18:20 AM »

Tom Tancredo is a one-noter and a really weird guy for a "libertarian" to support.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »

not necessarily, his economic veiws are pretty conservative-it's the most I can really ask of an elected politician at this point.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:58:32 AM »

not necessarily, his economic veiws are pretty conservative-it's the most I can really ask of an elected politician at this point.

In congress, which has he championed more - economics or immigration-related stuff?  He's pretty one-note.  He's a neocon.  You can do better.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:26:32 AM »

Tancredo is a one-trick pony, hardly presidential material.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 08:31:14 AM »

Hopefully I'll get to meet him and have a conversation, see whether I'd support him in a 2008 run.  I'm sure plenty of protestors will be there.  Your thoughts?

Does State still have its "Great Issues" series? Is his visit part of that? If so, I am surprised that ASMSU would actually invite him to campus. As pointed out by Alcon, it seems to me Rep. Tancredo is more suited to the Constitutionalists than the Libertarians and I do not intend any malice in that statement.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »

In congress, which has he championed more - economics or immigration-related stuff?  He's pretty one-note.  He's a neocon.  You can do better.

What are you talking about, he's a paleoconservative.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:22:32 PM »

What are you talking about, he's a paleoconservative.
From what I've seen and heard of him the latter description would probably be more accurate.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 12:54:43 PM »

Not at all, he's a paleocon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »

I've always thought of him as a fascist
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 04:33:41 PM »

Why?  Tancredo is no more hardline conservative than the major of conservative America, his immigration views just stick out more and they are extreme.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »

Well he has more in common with all those far-right xenophobic parties popping up around Europe lately than with out and out fascism. He is a one-trick pony though. All he has is his hatred of immigrants, gotta love this from a guy whose last name is Tancredo and whose ancestors were probably hounded in the same way.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »

Neocon, paleocon, whatever.  The latter descriptor is probably more correct, now that I think about it, but whatever he is, he's not a libertarian.  Nor does he have an outstanding history of championing libertarian causes.  He's just going into the race to harp the immigration issue.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 05:48:36 PM »

Well, I never said for sure I'd vote for him.  I said hopefully I'd get a chance to converse with him, so I'd be able to tell whether or not I would support him.  And, paleoconservatism and paleolibertarianism are rather similar ideoglogies.  Minus the appeal for tradtional marraiges and the silly protectionism-I can't think of all that much difference.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 06:20:51 PM »

No excuses, M&C; it's quite obvious you are a LINO
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 06:26:08 PM »

Well, I never said for sure I'd vote for him.  I said hopefully I'd get a chance to converse with him, so I'd be able to tell whether or not I would support him.  And, paleoconservatism and paleolibertarianism are rather similar ideoglogies.  Minus the appeal for tradtional marraiges and the silly protectionism-I can't think of all that much difference.

And minus the immigration issue, which - not to be a broken record - is the issue that Tancredo is going to be running on.  Tancredo is looking for the populist anti-immigration vote; I wouldn't be surprised if he drifted a bit to the left on economics during a primary run.

I wouldn't think it's weird if Tancredo gave equal shake to all issues, but he's one of a handful of congresspeople famous for one issue.  And it's one that most any libertarian would strongly disagree with.

Cool to meet him, though.  But, really, I'm not sure I'd allow myself to be swayed by my personal impression of politicians.  It seems like most of them, even ones I disagree with strongly, are probably not Satan incarnate in short speaking engagements.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 05:22:16 AM »

Cool to meet him, though.  But, really, I'm not sure I'd allow myself to be swayed by my personal impression of politicians.  It seems like most of them, even ones I disagree with strongly, are probably not Satan incarnate in short speaking engagements.

I've seen Mike Rogers (MI-8) give a speech in person.  He came off as too 'Republican standard' and too 'slippery politician' and hence I didn't vote for him.  Seeing someone in person is probably the best way to tell..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies