Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:51:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage  (Read 6679 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »

The Senate shall have power to set a minimum wage, as it deems necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia.

Sponsor: Sen. Dave 'Hawk'
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:14:13 PM »

NAY
Any wage law should be done not at the National, but at the local level.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 01:25:54 PM »

The administration supports a national and fair minimum wage. Any progress made towards a truly national minimum wage is progress in the right direction.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 01:40:40 PM »

I shall definitely consider voting in favour of this bill. However, would regions still be allowed to set their own (regional) minimum wages?
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:48:53 PM »

Im debating whether I will support this.  My main fear is that we will set the minimum wage at some rediculously high level which will end up hurting more than helping.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:42:04 PM »

I shall definitely consider voting in favour of this bill. However, would regions still be allowed to set their own (regional) minimum wages?
Of course, though not one lower than the federal minimum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:52:52 PM »

I wouldn't be certain about.  There's language in Article I Section 5 Clauses 4 and 6 that could be interpreted to require that any minimum wage set by the Senate would have to be a uniform minimum wage which the Regions would be unable to alter.  It probably would be best if you want the Regions to be able to establish a higher minimum Wage to make that explict so as to forestall a potential court case.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 12:11:19 AM »

I wouldn't be certain about.  There's language in Article I Section 5 Clauses 4 and 6 that could be interpreted to require that any minimum wage set by the Senate would have to be a uniform minimum wage which the Regions would be unable to alter.  It probably would be best if you want the Regions to be able to establish a higher minimum Wage to make that explict so as to forestall a potential court case.
My only problem with setting a federal minimum wage is that it might not necessarily work for every region. If the regions want to make their minimum wages higher, they should obviously be allowed to do so.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 06:35:16 AM »

Should this amendment pass and be ratified by the Regions, in your opinion Senator, couldn't any Federal Minimum Wage Bill allow the Regions to set a higher minimum wage over the national minimum or would this need to be explicit in this Amendment?

'Hawk'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 09:11:23 PM »

Should this amendment pass and be ratified by the Regions, in your opinion Senator, couldn't any Federal Minimum Wage Bill allow the Regions to set a higher minimum wage over the national minimum or would this need to be explicit in this Amendment?

If the courts rule as I think they might, then such a provision in a Federal Minimum Wage Bill would be unconstitutional.  The Amendment as it stands now would make the power to establish a minimum wage a Federal one and the Senate cannot delegate to the Regions an ability to make it non-uniform if itself does not possess such an ability.  If the Constitution were held to require that any minimum wage set by the Senate be uniform, then it would not be able to escape that restriction by passing a law that said the Regions could do so absent a specific grant of power in the Constitution.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

This should have been taken care of months and months ago. It is our responsibility to protect the people of this fine nation, and the clause in the Consititution that is blocking us from doing so must be removed. When the votre comes, Im voting AYE and I encourage my colleagues to do the same.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 10:05:11 AM »

I propose the that the amendment be altered to read as follows:.

The Senate shall have power to set a minimum wage, as it deems necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia. The regions shall also have power to set a minimum wage, within their jurisdictions, but this shall only have effect where this wage is greater than that which has been set by the Senate.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 12:01:12 PM »

I propose the that the amendment be altered to read as follows:.

The Senate shall have power to set a minimum wage, as it deems necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia. The regions shall also have power to set a minimum wage, within their jurisdictions, but this shall only have effect where this wage is greater than that which has been set by the Senate.

As the sponsor of the orginal Amendment, I'm more than happy to support your altered Amendment, Senator, since this should rectify the concern raised by Senator Ernest

'Hawk'
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 12:20:01 PM »

As the sponsor of the orginal Amendment, I'm more than happy to support your altered Amendment, Senator, since this should rectify the concern raised by Senator Ernest

'Hawk'

Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »

I hereby open the vote on the following amendment to this Amendment:

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 11:07:34 AM »

Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »

Aye
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 11:18:35 PM »

Aye
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 12:57:47 AM »

Aye
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 01:43:30 AM »

NAY
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 08:28:26 AM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »

Abstain
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 04:16:20 PM »

Since this vote was not on the final Amendment itself, with 6 'Ayes', 1 'Nay' and 1 Abstention, this amendment has passed

'Hawk'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 09:39:17 PM »

I'd like some feedback as to whether the Amendment in its current state would allow the Senate to establish a separate minimum wage for the insular territories and the federal district or whether further change is needed to preserve that ability.  Given the economic conditions of the insular territories, a level of minimum wage that would have an effect in Atlasia proper would be disastrous there.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies