V for Vendetta
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:51:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  V for Vendetta
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is more appealing to you?
An Anarchy created by V

The totalitarian state under Sutler

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 1756 times)
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:36:54 PM »

I'm interested to hear why.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »

Well given the choice of the two anarchy is an improvement over totalitarianism.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »

Anarchy always gives rise to warlords and a period of extreme discomfort for the populous.  So this is like saying do you prefer the Warlord period of China vs the Mao-era of China.  Neither one is good.  But forced to choose I go anarchy and warlords.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »

Option 1. I probably would have been thrown in a concentration camp under Sutler's regime.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 05:46:27 PM »

Read the V for Vendetta graphic novel instead of the crappy movie.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »

I concur.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 06:16:08 PM »

I like the character V so I'd go with his state.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:54:16 PM »

I've done both, and I found the movie to be better.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 07:44:14 PM »

Well given the choice of the two anarchy is an improvement over totalitarianism.

Until you are shot.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »

Until you are shot.

Well I have a very high chance of getting shot in both. All the totalitarian government would have to do is look in my bookshelf and I'd be in a concentration camp in about 2 seconds.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 09:23:28 PM »

Adam Susan is the only man who can stop the radicals of the Scottish Republican Army from sundering Britain in this hour of crisis!
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 10:29:20 PM »

I agree with fezzy.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »

In this specific case, it is likely that anarchy would not be long-lasting; in the story, the UK is still a developed country that apparently retains democratic ideals and would probably reinstitute democracy and government shortly after Sutler's overthrow. That isn't necessarily the case (c.f. Iraq), but in the case of developed countries it generally is (c.f. Japan, post-WWII).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »

V doesn''t create an anarchy. Bush has created an anarchy in Iraq. It's implied in the end that the characters try to reconstitute the democratic government that existed before the Sutler government took over. That said, I didn't like the movie.

There are different kinds of totalitarianisms. If we were talking about a communist totalitarian regime, Joel and fezzy might have different answers. A fascist totalitarian regime is very segmented. If you're in one of the "favored" groups, it might be preferable to anarchy, but if you're not in one of those groups, but are in a targeted group, you might as well be dead, so an anarchy would be favorable.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »

Where the Contra's terrorists? Where the Polish resistance? What do you consider a terrorist? One who kills people for an ideology? Or one who kills people for an ideology you consider vile? Is a terrorist that fights for democracy a terrorist? Is a terrorist that fights to end a horrific regime a terrorist? Some of this doesn't appy to V I just want to know your opinion.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »

Where the Contra's terrorists? Where the Polish resistance? What do you consider a terrorist? One who kills people for an ideology? Or one who kills people for an ideology you consider vile? Is a terrorist that fights for democracy a terrorist? Is a terrorist that fights to end a horrific regime a terrorist? Some of this doesn't appy to V I just want to know your opinion.

Oh, it's quite simple. People who do that sort of stuff and who are on my side are "freedom fighters" (or maybe "insurgents" if I want to appear to be somewhat impartial), while people who do that stuff and who are on the other side, are terrorists (or maybe "rebels" if I want to appear to be somewhat impartial).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 08:30:24 PM »

Well, anarchy would give a chance for a decent government to rise or a warlord ruled totalitarian state to rise, so I guess I might as well roll the dice instead of a sure loss.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 08:33:41 PM »

Oh, it's quite simple. People who do that sort of stuff and who are on my side are "freedom fighters" (or maybe "insurgents" if I want to appear to be somewhat impartial), while people who do that stuff and who are on the other side, are terrorists (or maybe "rebels" if I want to appear to be somewhat impartial).

Al, of course, has the correct answer. Congradulations Al, you have won are fabulous prize. You're own fully functioning terrorist organization. Let's give Mr. Realpolitik a round of applause. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 08:38:40 PM »

Al, of course, has the correct answer. Congradulations Al, you have won are fabulous prize. You're own fully functioning terrorist organization. Let's give Mr. Realpolitik a round of applause. Tongue

Does it come with a fully-functioning terrorist?

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 10:08:43 PM »

Does it come with a fully-functioning terrorist?

Well he's more of a fixer-upper.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 11:45:05 PM »

Well, anarchy would give a chance for a decent government to rise or a warlord ruled totalitarian state to rise, so I guess I might as well roll the dice instead of a sure loss.

Only an anarchy would allow me to take over and implement a libertarian dictatorship-so anarchy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies