If Jimmy Carter was re-elected
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Jimmy Carter was re-elected
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ..would the USSR still exist?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: If Jimmy Carter was re-elected  (Read 6274 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:29:30 PM »

Yes. He would have surrendered to the reds. The man was as bad as Henry Walalce or George Mcgovern.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »

Vladimir Putin would be President of the United States.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:04:53 PM »

No.  After all, the  Reagan defense build up that the Reaganistas love to claim as a major contributing factor in the decline of the Soviets was largely planned for by the Carter administration.  About the only major changes were the recommissioning of the battleships and the building of the B-1B after Carter canceled the B-1A, which despite having the same number was a very much different airplane.  Not only that but considering that the Soviets didn't increase military spending much if at all during the Reagan years also shows that vis a vis the Soviet Union, there would not have been much difference between Reagan and Carter in effects.  The main difference between a second Carter term and the first Reagan term would have been economic.  Carter's probable fiscal policies would not have been as complimentary as Reagan's were to the monetary policies that Volcker put in place once he was appointed to the Fed in 1979 that got us out of the worst of our economic malaise.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »

It is doubtful that the USSR would still exist, but it would have existed longer under Carter than Reagan.  Reagan forced the USSR to spend what little capital they had left to compete against the US in the arms race.  Carter would not have spent so much in modernizing the US military as Reagan.  So, whether or not the USSR would exist today is unknown, but it would have lasted longer under Carter.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:11:59 AM »

Given that CIA reports in mid 70s predicted the fall of the USSR by exactly the time it happpened in real life, then Reagan's impact on the Cold war wasn't as large as imagined.

But hey, maybe in this reality people would believe that President Walter Mondale was responible for ending the cold war.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »

Nope. I think around this time both Daniel Patrick Moynihan and a British MP predicted that the Soviet Union would not survive until the end of the century.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »

Maybe it'd've lasted a year longer? Military spending or no, communism sucks.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 04:18:59 PM »

Given that CIA reports in mid 70s predicted the fall of the USSR by exactly the time it happened in real life, then Reagan's impact on the Cold war wasn't as large as imagined.

But hey, maybe in this reality people would believe that President Walter Mondale was responsible for ending the cold war.

More likely, President George H.W. Bush (or whoever the Republican nominee in 1984 was) would have gotten the credit when the Berlin Wall fell in the middle of his second term.  If Carter had won a second term, I can't see Mondale winning in 1984.  Carter's second term would not have been as prosperous as Reagan's first was, and Mondale would be facing a challenge from Kennedy and other liberal critics of Carter's conservative policies such as his firing of the air traffic controllers instead of allowing them to break the law by striking without consequences.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2006, 07:57:02 PM by Wakie »

Given that CIA reports in mid 70s predicted the fall of the USSR by exactly the time it happened in real life, then Reagan's impact on the Cold war wasn't as large as imagined.

But hey, maybe in this reality people would believe that President Walter Mondale was responsible for ending the cold war.

More likely, President George H.W. Bush (or whoever the Republican nominee in 1984 was) would have gotten the credit when the Berlin Wall fell in the middle of his second term.  If Carter had won a second term, I can't see Mondale winning in 1984.  Carter's second term would not have been as prosperous as Reagan's first was, and Mondale would be facing a challenge from Kennedy and other liberal critics of Carter's conservative policies such as his firing of the air traffic controllers instead of allowing them to break the law by striking without consequences.

Had Carter won a second term it is highly unlikely HW Bush would have been the nom in '84.  I suspect he would have faded into the background.  And to be quite honest, if you look at the numbers you will see that Reagan's first term really (especially the first 2 years) wasn't that spectacular.

I think '84 would have seen Mondale ultimately winning the Dem nom.  As for the GOP, traditionally a party out of power for 8 years runs a moderate.  It is probably my being from PA but I remember there being a lot of buzz about John Heinz as a Presidential contender.  With Reagan and Bush out of the picture it could have opened the door for him to run and probably win in '84.  Heinz would probably be painted as Republican JFK.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »

Carter would have been killed, like Reagan almost was by contractionary monetary policy (circa 81-82). Like you said, I doubt Carter would have done things, fiscal policywise (tax cuts etc) to ease money tightening
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 01:04:18 AM »

Definitely not. Its downfall would've come at about the same time as it did in real life, possibly plus or minus a year or two.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 01:05:45 AM »

Another interesting what-if about Carter getting reelected is would he still have been shot the way Reagan was? Probably, since Hinckley shot the President to impress Jodie Foster. He had nothing personally against Reagan in particular, so presumably he would've shot Carter as well if he had still been in office. That might have boosted Carter's approval ratings the same way it did Reagan's.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »

I am continually amazed with the persistence of this complete fiction that U.S. military spending had anything to do with the collapse of the USSR.

The USSR's economy was in slow decline since the 1960s. The black market thrived under a system where heavy industry dominated the state economic planning. Soviet military spending was increased proportionally more during the 1970s than the 1980s, and even then, most of the increases were to fund the war in Afghanistan - not to combat Star Wars.

It is interesting, too, that all the commentators who say that defense spending crushed the USSR were either tied to defense contracters, or neo-conservatives who only seemed to come up with the idea around 1989, or so. This idea that defense spending was planned to put pressure on the USSR is as ridiculous as the idea that it had any impact at all.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »

It would have lasted longer, but I doubt it would still exist.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »

Carter reelected?  Man, that is hard to fathom.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »

The final preelection Gallup poll only had Reagan up by 3 points, and Carter was ahead in Gallup polling earlier in October.

Now if you are saying it's hard to fathom because of your personal opinion of Carter, that's another thing entirely. Smiley Just pointing out that while the actual result was a bit of a landslide, the election was quite close right up until the very end when there was a massive late surge for Reagan.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 12:09:47 PM »

An incumbent President got drilled by 10 points.  Outside of Hoover during the Great Depression, I can't think of an ass whipping of a sitting President that complete.  I also remember that 10 Democratic Senators went down with him.  It was a complete repudiation.  I readilyadmit that my disgust with the man also was also a factor in my remark.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 04:10:14 PM »

In January 1980 Carter led Reagan by 31 points.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 04:27:05 PM »

it gets worse...when I read the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to a comeback and victory in 2008!  Noooooooooooooo!

Jimmy Carter and Bush43 have something in common, though: 

Carter's naiveté that human rights were the solution to the world’s problems gave rise to the Shiite Revolution in Iran.

Bush43’s naiveté that democracy was the solution to the world’s problems gave rise to a civil war in Iraq that will usher in a new wave of Shiite power, building upon the wave Carter unleashed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »

What would you have in place of democracy and human rights?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »

Christian theocracy and complete adherence to the Bible.

Duh. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »

Duh. Tongue

Oh. Right. Of course.

Silly question to ask really.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 04:50:36 PM »

Duh. Tongue

Oh. Right. Of course.

Actually, contrary to you two, I'm pretty much a status-quo policy person, hence my more moderate econ and social/lib scores.

In answer to your query:  Democracy and Human Rights are great, but offering them to people with pent-up hatred motives can sometimes get you killed.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 10:01:25 PM »

Duh. Tongue

Oh. Right. Of course.

Actually, contrary to you two, I'm pretty much a status-quo policy person, hence my more moderate econ and social/lib scores.

In answer to your query:  Democracy and Human Rights are great, but offering them to people with pent-up hatred motives can sometimes get you killed.

And yet we give them to the Christian Right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies