Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:04:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome  (Read 12152 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »

You're talking about Jim Webb, the same guy who made it a point during his campaign to not allow his son to be used in campaign commercials??? The same guy who refused to mention his son's name on the stump???

The obvious point is you could not be more worng.

You're making enemies with the wrong person here.

Just because Webb didn't use his son for political purposes in the campaign does not mean he is incapable of doing so now.  Bush asked him a question about his son personally and Webb responded with a vague talking point about Iraq.  It wouldn't have been appropriate to do that if Bush had brought up any other subject, but his son allowed the perfect gateway -- thus, he was being used for political purposes.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp.
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »

You're talking about Jim Webb, the same guy who made it a point during his campaign to not allow his son to be used in campaign commercials??? The same guy who refused to mention his son's name on the stump???

The obvious point is you could not be more worng.

You're making enemies with the wrong person here.

Just because Webb didn't use his son for political purposes in the campaign does not mean he is incapable of doing so now. 

Who said I am making enemies?

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. In order for Webb to be using his son for political purposes, you would have to point out how it benefits Webb politically to say what he did to the President. You have not. The much more obvious and realisitc conclusion would be that a father was simply voicing his wishes regarding his son. You fail to provide on shred of evidence whatsoever that Webb is using his son for political gain.

If you want this line of "reasoning" to be taken seriously, you've gotta doa  lot better.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »

Uh, Bush asked him a question about his son.  He used the oppurtunity to tell the President he wants all of the troops to come home.  Thus it stopped being personal and became political.  Webb used his position as a father of a troop to be able to do this.  And don't think for a second that this wasn't going to make its way to the media.  It probably worked exactly as Webb planned.  This is scoring him major points among Democrats who were unsure whether he would be a good Senator.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 10:16:38 PM »

That seems to be a point of consensus.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2006, 08:16:21 AM »

Webb seems to be the worse person here. Bush was making a typical comment in that kind of situation, nothing strange. Webb repsonding with a political statement insted of answering the private question triggered it.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »

It's a non-story, and I don't care much about it one way or the other, but it's interesting to watch the reaction. "Stupid talking point" or no, this proves that Webb isn't afraid to ruffle feathers, and he's pissing off all the right people. He'll shake up that tired, painfully formal chamber, and that's exactly what's needed.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 08:35:20 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2006, 08:37:39 PM by Storebought »

Honestly, Webb should have beaten the sh**t out of Bush. Bush sent Webb's son off to risk his life in some utterly pointless war. Bush is complete human trash.

Respect is earned - not given.

If President Bush had done or said one single thing throughtout this entire Iraq disaster without completely f***ing it up, you might have a point. 

As things stand, you don't.

It doesn't matter that you support Bush or not.  However, taking the high road is sometimes better - which Webb should have done and failed to do.  Since you both disagree with Bush then you say it is okay for Webb to stup towards Bush's level (if Webb does what Jfern would have done in that situation).

Respect is a lot better than disrespect, even to someone you can not agree with or tolerate - something both of you need to learn!

Bush deserves no respect for his lies to push his warmongering agenda that uses young men such as Jimmy Webb as cannon fodder. Jim Webb showed Bush respect by not beating the living crap out of him.

Wow, what a violent and classless person you and your ideology are.

In short, you wish Webb would have assaulted the President because of resentment over his son who volunteered to serve in the military?

Whatever respect for your positions, if not your manner, I have had are now gone.  Human Trash.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2006, 08:39:08 PM »

In short, you wish Webb would have assaulted the President because of resentment over his son who volunteered to serve in the military?

Whatever respect for your positions, if not your manner, I have had are now gone.  Human Trash.

So Bush supports starting a WAR for no good reason, and I'm the one with the violent ideology? Ummm, ok.

Jimmy Webb volunteered to serve his country, not some lying wartime profiteers.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2006, 08:44:17 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2006, 08:46:55 PM by Storebought »

So Bush supports starting a WAR for no good reason, and I'm the one with the violent ideology? Ummm, ok.

I guess you don't see the contradiction in waylaying an American president for "warmongering"

edit: and even the Democrats have come to the same position as Bush vis-a-vis Iraq ... withdrawal is rapidly no longer an option:

New York Times
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »

I guess you don't see the contradiction in wayleighing an American president for "warmongering"

So it would be a contradiction to punch Stalin in the face?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »

I guess you don't see the contradiction in wayleighing an American president for "warmongering"

Who said anything about Stalin?

This is about your desire to see bodily harm to done to a US President over a difference in foreign/military policy.

As it stands now, if you want to see the Iraq war come to a quick end, simply defund it ... which shouldn't be to hard to do with your party in control of both chambers of Congress.

Oh, yes, I nearly forgot: Defunding would cause even more Americans to die there faster than they are already.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2006, 08:55:41 PM »

This is about your desire to see bodily harm to done to a US President over a difference in foreign/military policy.

As it stands now, if you want to see the Iraq war come to a quick end, simply defund it ... which shouldn't be to hard to do with your party in control of both chambers of Congress.

Oh, yes, I nearly forgot: Defunding would cause even more Americans to die there faster than they are already.

Oh, I would rather Bush get a punishment more in line for his treasonist war crimes. What's the best course of action now in Iraq is irrelevant, what is relevant is the war crimes.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »

Oh, I would rather Bush get a punishment more in line for his treasonist war crimes. What's the best course of action now in Iraq is irrelevant, what is relevant is the war crimes.

Too bad the only war crimes that exist are the ones in your fantasy world.  Quit being a moron and grow up.  Even Opie has more credibility than you at the moment.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2006, 04:34:13 AM »

He'll shake up that tired, painfully formal chamber, and that's exactly what's needed.

Why settle for second best?  The late axe-handle-wielding racist restaurateur Gov. Lester Maddox (D-GA) is the man for you!

Or the senator who hit the other senator over the head with a cane and crippled him.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »

Why settle for second best?  The late axe-handle-wielding racist restaurateur Gov. Lester Maddox (D-GA) is the man for you!

Weren't you complaining about unfair comparisons earlier?
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2006, 09:52:51 AM »

He'll shake up that tired, painfully formal chamber, and that's exactly what's needed.

Or the senator who hit the other senator over the head with a cane and crippled him.

That would Rep. Preston Brooks (D-SC) caning Sen. Charles Sumner (R-MA).
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »

"Not only did Bush know about it, he was specifically briefed 
  on the incident before meeting with Webb, and was cautioned 
  to be extra sensitive in speaking with Webb about his son." 
      -- Congressman Jim Moran
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »

Good to see the two Virginia anti-Semites sticking up for one another.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2006, 08:00:03 AM »

Good to see the two Virginia anti-Semites sticking up for one another.

Yeah, I don't know how Moran keeps getting elected.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »

I always find this so puzzling with the anti-war crowd. Why don't you think about solving the situation in Iraq rather than playing the blame-game?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2006, 08:08:23 AM »

I always find this so puzzling with the anti-war crowd. Why don't you think about solving the situation in Iraq rather than playing the blame-game?

That would require effort.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2006, 11:15:30 AM »

"cautioned to be extra sensitive in speaking with Webb about his son"

Damn, and Bush still asked "how's your boy?"   That @#%@# insensitive jerk BushHitler had the gall to say something like that?  Boy, Webb should be commended for not busting him in the chops!

"That's between my boy and me" 

A real charmer that Webb.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »

This is why I don't bother discussing Iraq anymore. Just once, I'd like to see a debate on Iraq that doesn't result in both sides more or less itching to beat the crap out of each other.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2006, 03:19:10 PM »

This is why I don't bother discussing Iraq anymore. Just once, I'd like to see a debate on Iraq that doesn't result in both sides more or less itching to beat the crap out of each other.

Those would be the small handful of politicians that you rarely see on tv, since they do not cause controversy.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »

Those would be the small handful of politicians that you rarely see on tv, since they do not cause controversy.

Ah sorry, I was addressing more the tone of discussion here and in other internet forums.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies