Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:23:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome  (Read 12112 times)
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2006, 05:20:34 PM »
« edited: November 29, 2006, 10:51:24 PM by Dave Leip »

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/UndertheDome/112906.html

"At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t. It’s safe to say, however, that Bush and Webb won’t be taking any overseas trips together anytime soon. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/28/AR2006112801582.html?referrer=emailarticle

"At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him."   ................

" "I'm not particularly interested in having a picture of me and George W. Bush on my wall," Webb said in an interview yesterday in which he confirmed the exchange between him and Bush. "No offense to the institution of the presidency, and I'm certainly looking forward to working with him and his administration. [But] leaders do some symbolic things to try to convey who they are and what the message is."

In the days after the election, Webb's Democratic colleagues on Capitol Hill went out of their way to make nice with Bush and be seen by his side. House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) sat down for a lunch and photo opportunity with Bush, as did Democratic leaders in the Senate.

Not Webb, who said he tried to avoid a confrontation with Bush at the White House reception but did not shy away from one when the president approached."

Every time I read something about Webb, I like him even more. He's the type of person who actually deserves to be described as a "straight-talker", unlike a certain flip-flopping AZ Senator who's position on Iraq changes with the wind.  It's too bad Webb didn't go ahead and wipe Shrub's arrogant smirk off his face, though. Webb, Tester and Brown are quickly becoming my favorite three Senators, and none of them have even taken office yet.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:25:17 PM »

I recall a similar exchange with a reporter once who didn't address him as "mister president".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »

I can't really fault either of them on this one.  Bush asked Webb how his son was doing, and Webb basically responded with his own desire to see him again.  Thus, he didn't actually answer the question, so Bush was right in that respect.  Then, Webb mistook Bush's response for a flippant change of subject, and got angry with him for the misunderstanding.  Not a very newsworthy incident if you ask me.
Deano963

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:53:40 PM »

I can't really fault either of them on this one.  Bush asked Webb how his son was doing, and Webb basically responded with his own desire to see him again.  Thus, he didn't actually answer the question, so Bush was right in that respect.  Then, Webb mistook Bush's response for a flippant change of subject, and got angry with him for the misunderstanding.  Not a very newsworthy incident if you ask me.

True, technically Webb did not answer his question, but responding with a nasty:

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” retort

is never an acceptable response when a parent simpley expresses their wish that their child come home from war. There is no excuse for what Bush said, no matter who you spin it. IMO, Bush gave us another glimpse of how truly childish and immature he is with that remark.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:00:35 PM »

And Jim Webb proved that he can't understand a simple question.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »

I'm also intrigued that we don't have the exact quote from Webb, but we do from Bush.  It's very likely what he said was passive-aggressively telling the president to send home the troops now (or, at least if I were Bush, that's how I would have interpretted it).  I don't see anything particularly "nasty" from either side.
Deano963

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:14:14 PM »

I'm also intrigued that we don't have the exact quote from Webb, but we do from Bush. 

Read the links.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:18:07 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2006, 06:53:36 PM by Alcon »

It sounds more to me like both were being pissy and political of what really should have been an exchange of niceties.  But Bush's reaction does not seem unreasonable (although you could also argue that Webb is entitled to his anger).
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 06:21:33 PM »

I'm also intrigued that we don't have the exact quote from Webb, but we do from Bush. 

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

Then yeah.  That was more than passive-aggressive from Webb (who I still think will make a fine Senator).
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »

Read the links.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

Reading this, I would say that Webb is the one being a prick.  Bush asks him about his son, and Webb responds with a campaign slogan.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »

Reading this, I would say that Webb is the one being a prick.  Bush asks him about his son, and Webb responds with a campaign slogan.

Of course, one could also comment on the fact that Bush started it by tangentially bringing up Iraq, knowing full well what Webb thought about Iraq.

I don't think either is particularly innocent here.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »

Read the links.

Spot on...Webb is being cold and classless.   

If I was Webb I would have said "He's doing well but he would really like to come home."  That shows tact and respect - something that Webb needs to learn fast!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 07:07:47 PM »

Of course, one could also comment on the fact that Bush started it by tangentially bringing up Iraq, knowing full well what Webb thought about Iraq.

So now he can't kindly bring up people that are serving without being attacked?

Webb is the prick here and I dislike him even more now. Save your one liners for the campaign trail, Senator-elect.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 07:18:15 PM »

The country doesn't need this bullsh**t. Webb could have been the better man, and Bush could have acted like the president 60 or so million americans voted for.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 08:06:42 PM »

What the hell is wrong with Webb? Is it too much to ask to at least be civil exchanging pleasantries with the President of the United States? 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 08:08:07 PM »

Is it too much to ask to at least be civil exchanging pleasantries with the President of the United States? 

With this President, yes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 08:08:51 PM »

Is it too much to ask to at least be civil exchanging pleasantries with the President of the United States? 

With this President, yes.

Roll Eyes

Grow up. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »

Honestly, Webb should have beaten the sh**t out of Bush. Bush sent Webb's son off to risk his life in some utterly pointless war. Bush is complete human trash.
Deano963

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »

Read the links.

Spot on...Webb is being cold and classless.   

If I was Webb I would have said "He's doing well but he would really like to come home."  That shows tact and respect - something that Webb needs to learn fast!

Respect is earned - not given.

If President Bush had done or said one single thing throughtout this entire Iraq disaster without completely f***ing it up, you might have a point.  

As things stand, you don't.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 08:14:30 PM »

The tone of the conversation is obviously needed, but at the very least, Bush was not thinking very well to bring up with Webb someone who is in the middle of a war that Bush started and that Webb opposes and with whom Webb has a strong emotional bond.  He also did not at all handle Webb's response with much tact.

Like I said, neither person was particularly tactful.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »

If President Bush had done or said one single thing throughtout this entire Iraq disaster without completely f***ing it up...  

If Bush had done one single thing right his entire presidency, he might deserve people's respect. As things stand, Webb owes Bush no more respect than visa versa.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 08:23:42 PM »

Honestly, Webb should have beaten the sh**t out of Bush. Bush sent Webb's son off to risk his life in some utterly pointless war. Bush is complete human trash.

If President Bush had done or said one single thing throughtout this entire Iraq disaster without completely f***ing it up, you might have a point.  

As things stand, you don't.

It doesn't matter that you support Bush or not.  However, taking the high road is sometimes better - which Webb should have done and failed to do.  Since you both disagree with Bush then you say it is okay for Webb to stup towards Bush's level (if Webb does what Jfern would have done in that situation).

Respect is a lot better than disrespect, even to someone you can not agree with or tolerate - something both of you need to learn!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 08:36:07 PM »

Webb goes up in my books after this. That, and having a son in Iraq the first place.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »

It is pretty easy to become "awesome" in a Democrat's eyes, even if you support mostly conservative positions.  Just disrespect Bush.  If Hillary wants to win the Dem nomination in 2008, all she has to do is spit in Bush's face.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 08:39:54 PM »

The tone of the conversation is obviously needed, but at the very least, Bush was not thinking very well to bring up with Webb someone who is in the middle of a war that Bush started and that Webb opposes and with whom Webb has a strong emotional bond.  He also did not at all handle Webb's response with much tact.

Like I said, neither person was particularly tactful.

So because Bush "started" the war and the other man in question opposes it, he shouldn't ask how his son is doing? I don't understand that. Should the President not visit troops in the hospital because they might not support the war anymore?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies