Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:58:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush acting stupid again/Jim Webb = Awesome  (Read 12168 times)
Deano963

« on: November 29, 2006, 05:20:34 PM »
« edited: November 29, 2006, 10:51:24 PM by Dave Leip »

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/UndertheDome/112906.html

"At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t. It’s safe to say, however, that Bush and Webb won’t be taking any overseas trips together anytime soon. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/28/AR2006112801582.html?referrer=emailarticle

"At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him."   ................

" "I'm not particularly interested in having a picture of me and George W. Bush on my wall," Webb said in an interview yesterday in which he confirmed the exchange between him and Bush. "No offense to the institution of the presidency, and I'm certainly looking forward to working with him and his administration. [But] leaders do some symbolic things to try to convey who they are and what the message is."

In the days after the election, Webb's Democratic colleagues on Capitol Hill went out of their way to make nice with Bush and be seen by his side. House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) sat down for a lunch and photo opportunity with Bush, as did Democratic leaders in the Senate.

Not Webb, who said he tried to avoid a confrontation with Bush at the White House reception but did not shy away from one when the president approached."

Every time I read something about Webb, I like him even more. He's the type of person who actually deserves to be described as a "straight-talker", unlike a certain flip-flopping AZ Senator who's position on Iraq changes with the wind.  It's too bad Webb didn't go ahead and wipe Shrub's arrogant smirk off his face, though. Webb, Tester and Brown are quickly becoming my favorite three Senators, and none of them have even taken office yet.

Deano963

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:53:40 PM »

I can't really fault either of them on this one.  Bush asked Webb how his son was doing, and Webb basically responded with his own desire to see him again.  Thus, he didn't actually answer the question, so Bush was right in that respect.  Then, Webb mistook Bush's response for a flippant change of subject, and got angry with him for the misunderstanding.  Not a very newsworthy incident if you ask me.

True, technically Webb did not answer his question, but responding with a nasty:

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” retort

is never an acceptable response when a parent simpley expresses their wish that their child come home from war. There is no excuse for what Bush said, no matter who you spin it. IMO, Bush gave us another glimpse of how truly childish and immature he is with that remark.
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:14:14 PM »

I'm also intrigued that we don't have the exact quote from Webb, but we do from Bush. 

Read the links.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.
Deano963

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »

I'm also intrigued that we don't have the exact quote from Webb, but we do from Bush. 

Read the links.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

Reading this, I would say that Webb is the one being a prick.  Bush asks him about his son, and Webb responds with a campaign slogan.

Spot on...Webb is being cold and classless.   

If I was Webb I would have said "He's doing well but he would really like to come home."  That shows tact and respect - something that Webb needs to learn fast!

Respect is earned - not given.

If President Bush had done or said one single thing throughtout this entire Iraq disaster without completely f***ing it up, you might have a point.  

As things stand, you don't.
Deano963

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:44:23 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2006, 08:47:37 PM by Deano963 »

Honestly, Webb should have beaten the sh**t out of Bush. Bush sent Webb's son off to risk his life in some utterly pointless war. Bush is complete human trash.

Respect is earned - not given.

If President Bush had done or said one single thing throughtout this entire Iraq disaster without completely f***ing it up, you might have a point.  

As things stand, you don't.

It doesn't matter that you support Bush or not.  However, taking the high road is sometimes better - which Webb should have done and failed to do.

How on Earth do you know that Webb didn't take the high road? Basically, you are assuming that you know the tone of Webb's voice when he answered to Bush that he just wants to see his son come home, when in reality you have no idea how he said it. You also fail to realize that he may just not have wanted to discuss his son being in Iraq for emotional reasons. You are rationalizing Bush's bitchy response by saying "Oh, it was classless of Webb to say he wants his son home" in the first place, when you have no way of knowing that. It's never classless or disrespectful for a parent to wish their child out of harm's way.

Respect is a lot better than disrespect, even to someone you can not agree with or tolerate - something both of you need to learn!

There you go assuming things again. Just who was disrespecting who in this situation? Are you again saying that Webb was the one being disrespectful whe all he said was that he wished his son was home? Your logic is ridiculously inconsistent, and your argument bull.

Btw, I respect your viewpoint, it's just wrong.
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »

It is pretty easy to become "awesome" in a Democrat's eyes, even if you support mostly conservative positions.  Just disrespect Bush.  If Hillary wants to win the Dem nomination in 2008, all she has to do is spit in Bush's face.

Too bad Webb dosenn't support mostly conservative positions, so your argument makes no sense.

People who know absolutely nothing of Webb's political ideology like Van here should feel free to remove themselves from the conversation.
Deano963

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »

Bush deserves no respect for his lies to push his warmongering agenda that uses young men such as Jimmy Webb as cannon fodder.

This is true, but it's not like Webb had to respond to Bush with a stupid campaign talking point.  Webb is basically using his son for political purposes.

You're talking about Jim Webb, the same guy who made it a point during his campaign to not allow his son to be used in campaign commercials??? The same guy who refused to mention his son's name on the stump???

The obvious point is you could not be more worng.
Deano963

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »

You're talking about Jim Webb, the same guy who made it a point during his campaign to not allow his son to be used in campaign commercials??? The same guy who refused to mention his son's name on the stump???

The obvious point is you could not be more worng.

You're making enemies with the wrong person here.

Just because Webb didn't use his son for political purposes in the campaign does not mean he is incapable of doing so now. 

Who said I am making enemies?

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. In order for Webb to be using his son for political purposes, you would have to point out how it benefits Webb politically to say what he did to the President. You have not. The much more obvious and realisitc conclusion would be that a father was simply voicing his wishes regarding his son. You fail to provide on shred of evidence whatsoever that Webb is using his son for political gain.

If you want this line of "reasoning" to be taken seriously, you've gotta doa  lot better.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies