Which Democrats would be the best nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:35:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which Democrats would be the best nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Clinton

Obama

Edwards

Gore

Bayh

Vilsack

Kerry

Richardson

Biden

Clark

Warner

Dodd

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which Democrats would be the best nominee?  (Read 3996 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2006, 06:07:29 PM »

Ranked by current Tradesports numbers:
Clinton 56.3
Obama 15.6
Edwards 8.9
Gore 8.0
Bayh 2.6
Vilsack 2.1
Kerry 1.7
Richardson 1.4
Biden 1.3
Clark 1.0
Warner 0.9
Dodd 0.7
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:03:33 PM »

1. Al Gore
2. Mark Warner
3. Evan Bayh
---------------------------

I'm surprised more haven't chosen Gore.  Is it primarily because he has repeatedly given indications (though by no means conclusive) that he isn't running for the nomination in '08, or is it something else? 
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 08:04:11 PM »

Mark Warner
Raoul Takemoto
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »

Warner! Draft him!
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:53:37 PM »

Depends what you mean by best: I think Al Gore would make the most effective leader out of the entire group. If "best" is referring to the candidate that could most easily win, then I don't know. John Kerry sure looked like a winner in February 2004, but things rapidly deteriorated by August.

In terms of candidates that are closest to my ideology, I agree with Frodo's list.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »

I think Warner would still be a great bet. Gore would be able to win, and I suspect Edwards could too...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 09:16:09 PM »

Obama and Gore would be the best two IMO. Hillary would be the worst, as many people think of her as Lady Macbeth. In addition, she is still considered a shrill and divisive ultra-liberal feminazi, even though that image of her is probably a decade or more out of date.

Mark Warner is the popular governor of a southern state, but i feel his lack of charisma would be crippling in a national election. I could see him as a senator if the other Warner ever retires, or maybe as a VP, but not as president.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 09:16:37 PM »

1. Al Gore
2. Mark Warner
3. Evan Bayh
---------------------------

I'm surprised more haven't chosen Gore.  Is it primarily because he has repeatedly given indications (though by no means conclusive) that he isn't running for the nomination in '08, or is it something else? 
^^^^^ My dream order right now.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:18:14 PM »

Obama and Gore would be the best two IMO. Hillary would be the worst, as many people think of her as Lady Macbeth. In addition, she is still considered a shrill and divisive ultra-liberal feminazi, even though that image of her is probably a decade or more out of date.

Mark Warner is the popular governor of a southern state, but i feel his lack of charisma would be crippling in a national election. I could see him as a senator if the other Warner ever retires, or maybe as a VP, but not as president.
I think Warner has the necessary charisma? He's a good speaker.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »

I tryed it didnt work.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:16 PM »

Obama, Bayh, or Richardson.

Gore's a maybe.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 10:09:05 AM »

I think a good ticket would be a Dodd/Warner ticket, or a Richardson/Obama ticket.

With Dodd, you get the liberal vote, with pleanty of experience, and add Warner as the Veep, and you get the moderate votes.

Richardson you have experience from many positions, such as Congressman, UN Ambassador, and Secretary of Energy. Put Obama on there, you pick up the liberal vote, as well as his star power.

Obama is a good guy, I just don't think he can win the White House yet. He needs to wait till 2012, or be elected Vice President.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »

Richardson,Gore and Obama(sic)
It's a pity Warner dropped out.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »

Warner, Richardson, Bayh, Vilsack
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:34:39 PM »

Clinton--Can beat a weak GOP nominee or even a strong one if Bush is still unpopular. Otherwise, not a good choice. The women's vote would come out strongly for her, but so too would the men's vote come out strongly against her. Very polarizing, almost impossible to not have a repeat of 2000 and 2004 plus or minus 2 or 3 key swing states.

Obama--I wish he had more experience, but otherwise, very strong candidate. The black vote would come out like never before, and he's charismatic enough to appeal to swing voters.

Edwards--I like him a lot, but not much experience, and already failed once as both Presidential candidate and VP nominee.

Gore--I like him quite a lot. Was the rightful winner in 2000 (it wasn't stolen, but that doesn't mean Bush actually won) and would hearken back the memories of the good old days under Clinton. A very strong candidate. I doubt he'll run, though.

Bayh--Excellent choice, he locks up the crucial Midwest and even puts Indiana in play. I like this guy a lot, also. Has experience in both the Senate and as Governor. Proven ability to attract the votes of Independents and Republicans.

Vilsack--From what I know of him, he sounds really good. Again, can win the Midwest. Also being a governor is a big plus.

Kerry-No. He had his chance. Was never a very good candidate to begin with, and would be no better now.

Richardson--A very strong candidate. Locks up the Southwest (at least against anyone other than McCain, and even then can at least win New Mexico). Also would have an excellent chance of winning Florida due to the Hispanic vote. Has experience as both a Governor and Cabinet member, another big advantage.

Biden--Good range and breadth of experience, but not sure if he has much ability to appeal to swing voters. I'd prefer someone who isn't from the Northeast (Delaware is the Northeast politically if not physically).

Clark--Looks good on paper, but a lack of experience outside of the military realm. There are probably better choices.

Warner--He's not running, but would make an excellent VP. That would give him the experience that he currently lacks, also, which would be a big plus. If he's worried about his family, well, DC isn't that far from home. Smiley Coupled with someone like Bayh or Richardson at the top of the ticket, I could see him being able to pull in VA and WV.

Dodd--I don't see that this guy is any better than someone like Kerry. We already have the Northeast locked up, there is no point in nominating someone from that region, especially a Senator.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 02:39:43 PM »

Gore, Richardson and Clark.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »

Clinton: DOA. Need I say more?

Obama: I like him, but four years in the Senate isn't enough for a presidential run. His skin color could also be a liability, unfortunately.

Edwards: Loser.

Gore: He already won one presidential race, so I'm confident he could pull it off again. I also think he'll run a stronger campaign than he did in 2000, and refrain from picking a backstabber like Holy Joe to run with him.

Bayh: Yawner with an... unreliable... voting record (he's tried to gain the support of party activists with a few liberal positions, but remains a center-right DLCer at heart). Regionally, he doesn't add all that much to the ticket- he'd make Indiana competitive, perhaps holding the GOP nominee to a five point win, but that's about it.

Vilsack: lol. "Vilsack looks like the roadie for a Lawrence Welk tribute band"- Matt Taibbi. In all seriousness, he'd lock up Iowa but otherwise help little. Also a DLC joke.

Kerry: *rolls eyes* What do you think?

Richardson: Would do great among Hispanics, and carry much of the Southwest. Probably the best choice after Gore. Even if he is yet another DLC joke. Tongue

Biden: The plagiarizer adds nothing to a national ticket.

Clark: He'd be solid, I guess. Would carry Arkansas at least.

Warner: Eh.

Dodd: Roll Eyes
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 03:23:14 PM »

NOTA.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 03:29:50 PM »

Clinton: DOA. Need I say more?

Obama: I like him, but four years in the Senate isn't enough for a presidential run. His skin color could also be a liability, unfortunately.

Edwards: Loser.

Gore: He already won one presidential race, so I'm confident he could pull it off again. I also think he'll run a stronger campaign than he did in 2000, and refrain from picking a backstabber like Holy Joe to run with him.

Bayh: Yawner with an... unreliable... voting record (he's tried to gain the support of party activists with a few liberal positions, but remains a center-right DLCer at heart). Regionally, he doesn't add all that much to the ticket- he'd make Indiana competitive, perhaps holding the GOP nominee to a five point win, but that's about it.

Vilsack: lol. "Vilsack looks like the roadie for a Lawrence Welk tribute band"- Matt Taibbi. In all seriousness, he'd lock up Iowa but otherwise help little. Also a DLC joke.

Kerry: *rolls eyes* What do you think?

Richardson: Would do great among Hispanics, and carry much of the Southwest. Probably the best choice after Gore. Even if he is yet another DLC joke. Tongue

Biden: The plagiarizer adds nothing to a national ticket.

Clark: He'd be solid, I guess. Would carry Arkansas at least.

Warner: Eh.

Dodd: Roll Eyes

You don't think Bayh would lock up Ohio at least? I think he'd be a fairly safe bet to win it, plus put Virginia, Missouri, and West Virginia seriously in play. He'd also be a safe bet to secure Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.

If we win Ohio and Iowa along with the rest of the Kerry states in the Midwest, we have the election in the bag.
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 03:31:18 PM »

Gore
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 04:21:26 PM »

Only an 'eh" for Warner? If he were put at the bottom the ticket, say under Al Gore, he could tip Virginia into the Democratic column and also have some appeal to moderate/independent voters. He would make a kickass presidential nominee also, but apparently, he's not interested in that.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2006, 04:26:55 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

Richardson, Bayh, Warner, Vilsack in that order. Nice, centrist, popular, uniting candidates that could win a huge amount of independent vote and break into Republican strongholds. Richardson would be the best choice of all though, when I would seriously consider voting for Richardson you know you have a candidate with wide appeal, he'd lock up the Hispanic vote in many key areas, and he would be able to pick up the Southwest against anyone except McCain. He'd also have good appeal in the Midwest by portraying himself as a Clinton-esque centrist. Plus in 2008 he'd be a two term Governor and a former cabinet secretary, so he's got experience that Warner, if he was running, and Obama would lack. A great all around candidate who has all of the virtues of candidates like Gore, Obama, and Bayh with none of the baggage or downsides of those candidates.

I really don't think any Republican candidate could defeat a Richardson/Vilsack or Richardson/Obama ticket. I think Richardson/Obama would be the best for the Democrats, placing a charismatic Midwestern Senator who also appeals to the leftist base will solidify Richardson among the left.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »

Only an 'eh" for Warner? If he were put at the bottom the ticket, say under Al Gore, he could tip Virginia into the Democratic column and also have some appeal to moderate/independent voters. He would make a kickass presidential nominee also, but apparently, he's not interested in that.

Warner was looking better before he said anything about foreign policy. Honestly, your average DailyKoser probably knows more about foreign policy than him.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »

Warner already said he isn't running. Believe me, I'd like to  have him run too.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 08:22:43 PM »

The best nominees, in order:

1.  Kathleen Sebelius
2.  Al Gore
3.  Mark Warner
4.  Hillary Clinton

It's annoying how much people underestimate Hillary...she's not a slam dunk, but I think she'd probably win.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies