Tancredo insults Jeb Bush, the city of Miami
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tancredo insults Jeb Bush, the city of Miami
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Tancredo insults Jeb Bush, the city of Miami  (Read 6909 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »

Go Tom Go!

Although I have to say the Mecca comment was much better

They really shouldn't let you out of school this early.

Well the short bus was a little early today.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 09:26:54 PM »

Why on Earth don't voters give this dude the same degree of disdain as, say, Lyndon LaRouche by not electing him?

It's only a matter of time before the word Tancredo is used to refer to institutions for the seriously mentally deranged

Dave
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

What did I say imply I'm not an independent?  Being a non-Tancredo fan, I think my comment was quite objective.

No, a United States Representative compared a city in which more than a million people live to a third-world country.  This is offensive both to the residents of the city and to all Americans who aren't nationalistic blowhards.  Apologizing after saying something stupid is standard practice.  I seem to recall you were giving John Kerry quite a hard time for botching a joke about the troops, but here we have a politician making a hateful comment and you think it's "objective" for you, the alleged non-Tancredo fan, to say that he doesn't need to apologize.

I'm just calling BS when I see it.  Tancredo proves himself to be a moron yet again, and it's hardly surprising that you are defending him.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 10:24:25 PM »

I'm just calling BS when I see it.  Tancredo proves himself to be a moron yet again, and it's hardly surprising that you are defending him.

I'm not defending him.  Go back to what I said.  I said that what he said was stupid, but not that he needs to apologize.  If I was defending him, I would have said something like "He's only saying the truth.  Miami is highly hispanic (over 60% according to the US censuc), over 50% of all residents foreign born, 67% speaking something other than English at home, 19% under the poverty level, etc . . ."
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

So who's worse Jean-Marie Le Pen or Tom Tancredo?

Jean-Marie Le Pen.

Want to go ahead and add Hitler?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 10:32:17 PM »

So who's worse Jean-Marie Le Pen or Tom Tancredo?

Jean-Marie Le Pen.

Want to go ahead and add Hitler?

Well if you think that Jean-Marie Le Pen is Hitler than you're the one who's being idiotic. Tancredo shares a lot in common with various anti-immigration populists in Europe, Le Pen being one. I don't see a whole slew of differance between Tancredo, Le Pen, Haider, the Progress Party of Norway and Vlaams Belang.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »

I'm not defending him.  Go back to what I said.  I said that what he said was stupid, but not that he needs to apologize.  If I was defending him, I would have said something like "He's only saying the truth.  Miami is highly hispanic (over 60% according to the US censuc), over 50% of all residents foreign born, 67% speaking something other than English at home, 19% under the poverty level, etc . . ."

OK, sure, if you want to be technical about it, you weren't explicitly defending his comments.  Just that he doesn't need to apologize.

But apparently John Kerry did, for making a botched joke that had no effect on anything whatsoever despite the hopeful predictions of certain conservatives.  The difference here is that John Kerry actually did apologize.

Those statistics you cite wouldn't make it a third-world country anyway, unless one of the criteria for such a classification is not speaking English.  Tancredo's statement had no basis in fact, and it's insulting and demeaning.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 12:18:40 AM »

I think Colin summed it up best in another thread on this sack of crap.

Human trash, scum of the earth, complete dolt, and, of course, horrible person.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 01:06:30 AM »

But he's one of the few economic conservatives left in Congress!!!1111

Why do you mock?

Better yet-what the heck do you stand for?  You'll denounce almost everyone but I've yet to see you come up with some solid opinions or candidate choices.  Cynicism is the easiest form of philosophy.
Deano963

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 01:27:43 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2006, 01:32:10 AM by Deano963 »

What did I say imply I'm not an independent?  Being a non-Tancredo fan, I think my comment was quite objective.

But he still didn't say that Miami is a "foreign country," unless you consider all foreign countries to be third world ones.

True, not all foreign countries are third-world countires, but all third-world countries are foreign countries. Therefore it's not a stretch to conclude that Tancredo was calling out Miami b/c of it's large Spanish population b/c of his statement and b/c....well....it's Tom freakin' Tancredo!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 02:02:49 AM »

A lot of American cities look like third world countries. I haven't ever been to Miami. Is it really ghetto?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 02:07:38 AM »

Well if you think that Jean-Marie Le Pen is Hitler than you're the one who's being idiotic. Tancredo shares a lot in common with various anti-immigration populists in Europe, Le Pen being one. I don't see a whole slew of differance between Tancredo, Le Pen, Haider, the Progress Party of Norway and Vlaams Belang.

Fine, Tom Tancredo equals Pim Fortuyn.  And it's "difference."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2006, 06:51:35 AM »

Miami IS a total dump and is like a foreign country. Anyone whos' actually been there knows that. Everyone around here calls it "Little Havana" and that's actually a pretty common name for Miami both in the media and in the local colloquial. Ever read the local papers from Miami? Last week they had 4 drive-bys in one night killing 5 HS aged students. Miami also has one of the highest stolen car rates in the country. It's pretty dangerous overall, I'd recommend avoiding it at all costs.

Tom Tancredo was completely accurate in his description of Miami. Good for him.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 06:59:59 AM »

A lot of American cities look like third world countries. I haven't ever been to Miami. Is it really ghetto?

Yes, it's terrible. Believe me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2006, 07:00:36 AM »

This is a good thing.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

Fine, Tom Tancredo equals Pim Fortuyn.

Please don't dishonor Pim Fortuyn's good name by associating Tom Tancredo with him. The man was a European liberal who wanted to defend liberalism by curbing the illiberalism that he saw apparent within the Dutch Muslim community. Tom Tancredo seems to have no arguement as why immigration is bad beyond the typical staple, often wrong, of "they take our jobs" or possibly he doesn't like brown people. I really don't know his reasons but Pim Fortuyn had a reason and was defending pluralism and liberal democracy from people whom he believed would destroy it. Lest we forget that he, as a homosexual, would have been one of the first to lose if that pluralism and respect for differences was taken away.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you. I never was a star speller.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 05:00:02 PM »

I think it's fairly safe to conclude that Tancredo does indeed hate a brown, which would explain his fetish for curbing immigration.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »

I think it's fairly safe to conclude that Tancredo does indeed hate a brown, which would explain his fetish for curbing immigration.

I guess he likes orange people though, since he is one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2006, 05:06:45 PM »

I guess he likes orange people though, since he is one.

Heh. It's amazing how many racists have fake tans and the like.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 06:19:42 PM »

Why do liberals accuse the man of being a racist because he wants to enforce our countries laws and wants to end low standards of living.  Do conservatives call liberals racists for wanting Mexicans to be able to jump the border while others wait for visas?  That's sounds like racist to me
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

Why do liberals accuse the man of being a racist because he wants to enforce our countries laws and wants to end low standards of living.  Do conservatives call liberals racists for wanting Mexicans to be able to jump the border while others wait for visas?  That's sounds like racist to me

That may be bad policy, but how is it racist?  Not that it isn't a huge strawman of the prevailing Democratic policy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2006, 06:23:46 PM »

That may be bad policy, but how is it racist?  Not that it isn't a huge strawman of the prevailing Democratic policy.

I'm trying to say it just as racist as Republicans opposing illegal immigration, but neither is really racist
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2006, 06:24:12 PM »

To everyone involved: "Mexican" is not a race.  It is therefore impossible for someone to be racist on account of hating Mexicans.  Please stop abusing the word.

Thank you,
The English Nazi
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 07:28:18 PM »

Mexicans aren't a race, DWDL. There's white mexicans, native mexicans, mixed mexicans(the majority), black mexicans...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2006, 08:30:25 PM »

Mexicans aren't a race, DWDL. There's white mexicans, native mexicans, mixed mexicans(the majority), black mexicans...

Ok, so basically your saying it is impossible for racist in illegal immigration which only furthers my point
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies