Tancredo insults Jeb Bush, the city of Miami (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tancredo insults Jeb Bush, the city of Miami (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tancredo insults Jeb Bush, the city of Miami  (Read 6927 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: November 30, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »

I don't think he should apologize, since the city does look like a foreign country.  However, is it proper for an elected politician from one state insult the city of another state?  No.  But there is no cause for him to apoligze.

Why do you pretend to be an Independent?  It isn't fooling anyone.

Even if you were representing Tancredo's comments correctly, he would be guilty of inspiring nationalistic hatred and even possible racism.  But to say that a part of the United States looks like a third world country because of the presence of Spanish-speaking immigrants is simply despicable.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

What did I say imply I'm not an independent?  Being a non-Tancredo fan, I think my comment was quite objective.

No, a United States Representative compared a city in which more than a million people live to a third-world country.  This is offensive both to the residents of the city and to all Americans who aren't nationalistic blowhards.  Apologizing after saying something stupid is standard practice.  I seem to recall you were giving John Kerry quite a hard time for botching a joke about the troops, but here we have a politician making a hateful comment and you think it's "objective" for you, the alleged non-Tancredo fan, to say that he doesn't need to apologize.

I'm just calling BS when I see it.  Tancredo proves himself to be a moron yet again, and it's hardly surprising that you are defending him.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »

I'm not defending him.  Go back to what I said.  I said that what he said was stupid, but not that he needs to apologize.  If I was defending him, I would have said something like "He's only saying the truth.  Miami is highly hispanic (over 60% according to the US censuc), over 50% of all residents foreign born, 67% speaking something other than English at home, 19% under the poverty level, etc . . ."

OK, sure, if you want to be technical about it, you weren't explicitly defending his comments.  Just that he doesn't need to apologize.

But apparently John Kerry did, for making a botched joke that had no effect on anything whatsoever despite the hopeful predictions of certain conservatives.  The difference here is that John Kerry actually did apologize.

Those statistics you cite wouldn't make it a third-world country anyway, unless one of the criteria for such a classification is not speaking English.  Tancredo's statement had no basis in fact, and it's insulting and demeaning.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:00:02 PM »

I think it's fairly safe to conclude that Tancredo does indeed hate a brown, which would explain his fetish for curbing immigration.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:08:56 PM »

If you lived in a theocratic dictatorship where reading the Bible were forbidden, would you support enforcing said law?

I didn't think so.  Likewise, you and your friend Tancredo appear to hate a brown, but hide under the guise of enforcing laws which, in the grand scheme of things, really don't matter.  Your racist and excessively legalist tendencies are growing tiresome, which is why we will soon have amnesty for so-called "illegal" immigrants who have done nothing wrong.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 08:57:13 PM »

If the laws are so bad, then we should change them, not support people who break them.

The government is far too slow to enact any meaningful reform within an appropriate time frame, thus we must break the laws so much that they are forced to do something about it.  Deporting 12 million people simply won't work, and will rightfully earn us the anger of the international community.  Thus the Democrats will likely pass an amnesty bill and Bush, of course, will sign it.

I don't like Tancredo, but he's right that our laws ought to be enforced.  I don't support ending immigration, but we should insist that people who are here are here legally.

Inability to separate morality from legality is an unfortunate problem, but again, will soon be a non-issue.

We have no obligation to allow in anybody we don't want.  I get tired of hearing the whole 'racist' argument every time somebody says something you don't like.

Oh, please, if we had a rush in of immigrants from Israel or the UK, no one would be calling doomsday.  Clearly people like Tancredo are upset because he fears his great-grandchildren will have to learn Spanish in a public school.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies