Walmart vs. Target
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Walmart vs. Target
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Walmart vs. Target  (Read 11238 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:48:25 PM »

Do you view Wal-Mart and Target in the same light?

I was discussing this w/a teacher the other day and said this which I really pondered:

"Target and other stores like that really do the same thing as Wal-Mart, but they are more friendly and have a better PR department"

Is there a difference or do you have the same opinion of both?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:54:54 PM »

I've got better things to do in my life than to sit around researching corporations' dealings to the extent that I could form an opinion on them.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:20:49 PM »

It really doesn't matter to me... Whichever happens to be closer at the time is the one I'll go to... Or whichever's cheaper.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:30:19 AM »

Mark Dayton's family owns Target, that's fine enough for me.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:55:49 AM »

I much prefer Target. I never shop at Walmart personally.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 01:06:31 AM »

Alaska doesn't have a Target yet, so I can't say for sure. Tongue

Though Alaska Walmarts are the only WM stores in the country to sell handguns, so I have to give them a positive vote. Grin
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 03:47:20 AM »

whatever store sells the cheaper product (sane)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »

I much prefer Target. I never shop at Walmart personally.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 02:30:27 PM »

I prefer Target, if only because it isn't quite as far away from my home.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 03:25:20 PM »

Target has much better quality and treats their employees better, though the prices are a little higher.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 06:23:02 PM »

I think people are missing the point, I asked if "you view them in the same light", meaning do you think they are equally good or bad?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »

I think people are missing the point, I asked if "you view them in the same light", meaning do you think they are equally good or bad?

Walmart I guess has these so called "shady business practices", so they're not as good-but I couldn't give a rat's ass about that as long as they have cheaper goods.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:59 AM »

They're all the same.  It's a matter of degree, and market positioning.

I think I'd prefer Target to WalMart, but I don't shop at either.  I hate shopping, and value convenience above all, and neither is that close to me.

I do shop at Kohl's sometimes.  Kohl's is a really nice store, though it doesn't carry the full range of what WalMart does.

I might shop at WalMart in rural area that isn't so crowded, but around here, shopping at WalMart would be enough to give me a full-scale migraine.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 08:59:37 AM »

I view both in a positive light. Wal-Mart is closer for me to shop at, but I rarely shop at either.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 09:24:19 AM »

To that I say...

I've got better things to do in my life than to sit around researching corporations' dealings to the extent that I could form an opinion on them.

... and also...

It really doesn't matter to me... Whichever happens to be closer at the time is the one I'll go to... Or whichever's cheaper.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »

I prefer Target to Wal Mart.  I personally cant stand Wal Mart and avoid it at all costs.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »

Of course I view them in the same light - capitalism is the heirarchy I critique, and not individual privileged and their slaves within it.  Maybe Mastah Dayton is not quite as bad as Mastah Walton, but it is the State which makes it possible for them to enslave.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »

To that I say...

... and also...

wow Joe, you're the master of cut and paste.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 01:23:16 PM »

I do shop at Kohl's sometimes.  Kohl's is a really nice store, though it doesn't carry the full range of what WalMart does.
Yeah, Kohl's is cool. There are a couple of branches back home. My brother works there so that's where we do our shopping sometimes.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »

Yeah, Kohl's is cool. There are a couple of branches back home. My brother works there so that's where we do our shopping sometimes.
Kohls is one of the greatest stores around.  To bad the closest one to me is Orlando.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 02:08:48 PM »

Kohls is one of the greatest stores around.  To bad the closest one to me is Orlando.

I love Kohl's! Too bad Herb Kohl owns it. Tongue  Same with Dayton and Target because I prefer Target.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:50 PM »

Why thank you. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »

Do you view Wal-Mart and Target in the same light?

I was discussing this w/a teacher the other day and said this which I really pondered:

"Target and other stores like that really do the same thing as Wal-Mart, but they are more friendly and have a better PR department"

Is there a difference or do you have the same opinion of both?

No, Walmart's a tad cheaper, though not quite as cheap as Kmart.  But then I don't shop at Kmart--yes, even we poor, cheap, white trash consumers have limits.  Wink 

Of course I wouldn't buy a bicycle or a dining room suit or shoes or a computer at either, but if it's something to eat, drink, or wrap around my son's ass, I shop at Big Box retaillers often.  And Walmart has the edge, price-wise.  Target does sell some nice chinese sweatshop-made trinkets that you can't get at walmart.  We bought a nice bathmat for the boy about a year ago.  Just under ten bucks.  The just under ten bucks bathmat at Walmart we didn't fancy.  And of course there was a nice seven-dollar candle holder that Target carries which looked remarkably similar to a fifty-dollar "Mediterranean sconce" that sold at Pier One Imports.  But overall for cheap chinese-made and indonesian-made trinkets, Walmart has a better track.  Maybe they manage their slave labor better.  Maybe Walmart has a better PR department--after all, being the butt of jokes needn't distract us from the fact that Walmart is kicking Target in every measurable parameter.  (I suspect it's a bit of both.)  Either way, I definitely prefer Walmart overall, though I prefer either of those to Kmart, though.  Actually, WSJ had a nice article about a week ago about all three of these Big Box retailers, along with a few others.  It may answer some of your questions.

I also like the Dollar Tree from time to time, which is cheaper than even Kmart.  No good for durables, of course, but for really, really rock-bottom prices on consumables dollars stores such as Dollar Tree, Dollarama, and Dollar City are the best!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006, 11:16:58 PM »

Never been to a Walmart-- not that I have anything against it, oh no. I might shop there quite often. None has ever been built anywhere I've ever lived. In fact, I have only seen a Wal-mart once, when I was visiting my cousin in San Jose and we were trying to Monterrey to visit some of his other kin. I saw it over the left side of the interstate, and yes, it was huge. Otherwise, I have shopped at just about every store imaginable, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Hechts, Kmart, Sears, the Salvation army etc., massive shopping centers, you name it. But never seen a Wal-mart in the past 6 years.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 01:42:04 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2006, 02:23:33 PM by memphis »

SuperWalMart's groceries are quite a bit cheaper than SuperTarget's, and Target's clothes are better quality and more fashion conscious. Other goods are pretty much the same. Target has a way nicer feel and I don't mind browsing there. I hate going to WalMart, which is also further away, although I do for the prices.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies