New Citizenship Test Questions Unveiled (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:27:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  New Citizenship Test Questions Unveiled (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Citizenship Test Questions Unveiled  (Read 4317 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: December 01, 2006, 09:01:35 AM »

People who come from another country has to put more of an effort into it. That's the way it works, migrating isn't easy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:20:03 AM »

That's the way it works, migrating isn't easy.

Of course that's the way it works, but that doesn't really explain why immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes, given that natural-born citizens are perfectly capable of being ignorant idiots.

The answer is probably "because then we would have a few dozen eligible voters left over", but no one wants to admit that. Tongue

Yes, it does. Immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes because that is the way it works.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 07:09:07 AM »

"Because that's the way it works" is an even worse excuse for something than "Well, it's always been done this way".

No, it's a shorthand for something that I do believe. It is harder for immigrants to integrate, because they're from another country. Therefore, demanding more of an effort from them is reasonable. The alternative would be testing youths born and bred in the country and then expelling them if they fail. That is obviously not congruent with any reasonable standard.

Everyone is born with a citizenship, and that one they have a birth-right to. If you want to aqcuire another one you have to show that you're serious about it. One may think it unfair that some people are born in decent countries, just like some are born handsome, intelligent or rich. But, that is the way it works. I don't think there is a morally acceptable or practically doable system of making such a system "fair".
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 12:13:43 PM »

That's the way it works, migrating isn't easy.

Of course that's the way it works, but that doesn't really explain why immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes, given that natural-born citizens are perfectly capable of being ignorant idiots.

The answer is probably "because then we would have a few dozen eligible voters left over", but no one wants to admit that. Tongue

Yes, it does. Immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes because that is the way it works.

How does that explain anything at all?  Tell me exactly why immigrants are expected to know all about a country's government and history before they're allowed to vote and you'll immediately see why I find that it's kind of goofy that the same is not expected of natural-born citizens.

I gave my explanation above but it seems as if you replied without reading it...the discussion often looks like we're being unfair to foreigners and making it easy for our own countrymen, but that's because people don't have a clear picture of what we're talking about here.

Everyone is born with a citizenship. There are various good reasons (which I don't think we have to go into) why that citizenship cannot be taken from a person. Occassionally, however, we want to accquire another, new citizenship. The country in question may then ask if you're really sure about this switch, test your allegiance, knowledge, etc. So, yes, it is hard to migrate. But sometimes people do it anyway, taking the risks and costs associated with it.

I'm not sure what you propose exactly. Should we abolish such tests and allow everyone and anyone to become a citizen? Or should we force all citizens to take it and expel those who fail?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:21:50 PM »

The point is, we're all citizens of the Earth.

Smiley

That is a nice sentiment, but I'm afraid I don't agree with it. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies