New Citizenship Test Questions Unveiled (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:58:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  New Citizenship Test Questions Unveiled (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Citizenship Test Questions Unveiled  (Read 4318 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: November 30, 2006, 07:42:14 PM »

Dude, the President of the United States doesn't know what the constitution does.

On that note, I think citizenship tests should be given to every natural-born citizen when they're 18, and if they fail, they get deported. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:29:51 PM »

Dude, the President of the United States doesn't know what the constitution does.

On that note, I think citizenship tests should be given to every natural-born citizen when they're 18, and if they fail, they get deported. Tongue

HMMM. Well that would solve the problems with our big cities since it would basicallly empty them. It would probably empty the welfare rolls too.

Tempting though it might be, it would also be rather unconstitutional so no. But you really had me interested for a while there. Smiley

Seriously though, am I the only one who finds it kind of weird that countries expect people who haven't lived there for their whole lives to know more about the country than people who have?  I'm not saying that citizenship tests should be abolished either, but still.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:47:34 PM »

You make a good point but as Bill Murray would say; "That's the fact Jack."

Anyway where would you deport them to?

I was kidding about the deportation bit, and besides, it's not a requirement to be a citizen to live in a country, anyway.

But it is a requirement for people to vote in a country's elections, whereas natural-born citizens are given a free pass in that respect and are simply assumed to know about the country in which they were born, which I find kind of weird.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 10:53:12 PM »

That's the way it works, migrating isn't easy.

Of course that's the way it works, but that doesn't really explain why immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes, given that natural-born citizens are perfectly capable of being ignorant idiots.

The answer is probably "because then we would have a few dozen eligible voters left over", but no one wants to admit that. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 09:35:22 PM »

That's the way it works, migrating isn't easy.

Of course that's the way it works, but that doesn't really explain why immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes, given that natural-born citizens are perfectly capable of being ignorant idiots.

The answer is probably "because then we would have a few dozen eligible voters left over", but no one wants to admit that. Tongue

Yes, it does. Immigrants are held to a higher standard than natural-born citizens for voting purposes because that is the way it works.

How does that explain anything at all?  Tell me exactly why immigrants are expected to know all about a country's government and history before they're allowed to vote and you'll immediately see why I find that it's kind of goofy that the same is not expected of natural-born citizens.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies