Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:40:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV  (Read 77653 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »

This is probably a better place to put this....

Muslim woman gives sex advice on Arab TV

By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

CAIRO, Egypt -- Heba Kotb is a conservative Muslim, wears an Islamic head scarf, and goes on television once a week to talk - frankly and in great detail - about sex.

On her show, "Big Talk," Kotb answers questions from Muslims all over the Middle East about the most intimate bedroom issues with an openness that is shocking and revolutionary in a society where discussing the subject is taboo.

"How do I talk about these issues? Very seriously," the Egyptian sexologist says. "I put on a mask-like face and make sure I speak in the right tone of voice."

She also does it by talking about sex in an Islamic light, arguing that the faith is in favor of pleasure for both men and women, with one important caveat - that it be only in the context of marriage.

"I'm very proud of my religion," Kotb told The Associated Press in an interview at Cairo University, where she teaches forensic medicine. "My studies revealed to me more and more how Islam was ahead in all sexual matters ... I discovered that Islam understood sex long before the rest of the world."

For example, Islam "stresses the importance of foreplay," Kotb said, and she often stresses to listeners that women should also enjoy sex.

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:02:07 PM »

You would be amazed how much sex there is on Arab TV.  In Iraq, I saw a ton of Iraqi cable channels and I'd say about 1/3 of them were something of a sexual nature. Normally sex hotlines.

Nevertheless, I was shocked to see this on Iraqi/Arab TV.  I guess it's more common than what we would think.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:05:19 PM »

You would be amazed how much sex there is on Arab TV.  In Iraq, I saw a ton of Iraqi cable channels and I'd say about 1/3 of them were something of a sexual nature. Normally sex hotlines.

Nevertheless, I was shocked to see this on Iraqi/Arab TV.  I guess it's more common than what we would think.

It does make me wonder if Muslim women are more sexually liberated than American women behind closed doors...
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 02:26:20 PM »

It does make me wonder if Muslim women are more sexually liberated than American women behind closed doors...

Not just the women...the men are a lot more open too!  I have heard this more than once about the men, the women are for babies, the men are for pleasure!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:01 PM »

Why do I always see guests visiting this post when I check "Who's Online?"

PS: interesting topic, I wonder if there's been any developments in the three years since it was posted.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

Islamic fundamentalism never really triumphed in North Africa; the peak of violent fundamentalism in Egypt was in the 1980s and 1990s; however, if the country returned to democracy, a moderate Islamist party could win elections Turkish-style.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:47:16 AM »

PS: interesting topic, I wonder if there's been any developments in the three years since it was posted.

A Google search for "sex tips" probably brings this up.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:51:31 AM »

http://www.hebakotb.net/
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:21 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 10:27:16 AM by Benedict »

She also does it by talking about sex in an Islamic light, arguing that the faith is in favor of pleasure for both men and women, with one important caveat - that it be only in the context of marriage.

Yep, I often heard that concerning Muslim traditions, that are the fundies who wanna break it out.

Could be yes, but it seems that a marriage remains a huge thing, even in one of the most secularized Muslim country, Tunisia, where the western influence is strong.

I don't if it's because it would have changed in a few years, but someone from Tunisia with who I recently spoke told me that on satellite Arab networks there where a lot of western Hollywood stuffs, but, when it comes to a simple ...kiss on the mouth...then...*censored*... Scenes of kissing/love are cut, she told me, even those from the satellite networks of the most liberal places that have inter-Arab networks places like Dubai.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »

This is probably a better place to put this....

Muslim woman gives sex advice on Arab TV

By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

CAIRO, Egypt -- Heba Kotb is a conservative Muslim, wears an Islamic head scarf, and goes on television once a week to talk - frankly and in great detail - about sex.

On her show, "Big Talk," Kotb answers questions from Muslims all over the Middle East about the most intimate bedroom issues with an openness that is shocking and revolutionary in a society where discussing the subject is taboo.

"How do I talk about these issues? Very seriously," the Egyptian sexologist says. "I put on a mask-like face and make sure I speak in the right tone of voice."

"I'm very proud of my religion," Kotb told The Associated Press in an interview at Cairo University, where she teaches forensic medicine. "My studies revealed to me more and more how Islam was ahead in all sexual matters ... I discovered that Islam understood sex long before the rest of the world."

For example, Islam "stresses the importance of foreplay," Kotb said, and she often stresses to listeners that women should also enjoy sex.

LOL
Not exactly my type of TV show, but the fact it exists is still a good thing.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »

LOL
Not exactly my type of TV show, but the fact it exists is still a good thing.

Would personally love to see this Egyptian show. To see how it turns. In France we've such things in medical shows.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 11:41:00 AM by Benedict »

An interview of her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkERo6GCgE&feature=fvsr

Unluckily, might be me but the video is long to load.

Otherwise, for those, unlike me, who can get the language, the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ulQya2gw7Y
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »

"Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV"

Not surprised by this at all, actually. Considering the birth rate in most Muslim countries, sex is probably pretty frequent.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35:59 PM »

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2009, 06:09:26 PM by ilikeverin »

Actually, IIRC, the Quran quite explicitly says that it is the requirement of both partners to please the other in marriage (and commands it right out of both partners, so it can't just be interpreted as a generic message).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 03:52:43 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2009, 03:54:46 AM by Lunar »

you have to search for "muslim sex tips" for that.

I'm still constantly seeing guests reading this thread, so weird.

This thread has surpassed wikipedia's "Islamic views on anal sex" though on Google
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »

I think we need to have the number one result, really. We're clearly the most relevant.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2009, 09:52:15 PM by Fading Frodo »

Obviously she's not the only one breaking barriers:

Challenging Sex Taboos, With Help From the Koran

By ROBERT F. WORTH
Published: June 5, 2009

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates

WEDAD LOOTAH does not look like a sexual activist. A Muslim and a native Emirati, she wears a full-length black niqab — with only her brown eyes showing through narrow slits — and sprinkles her conversation with quotes from the Koran.

Yet she is also the author of what for the Middle East is an amazingly frank new book of erotic advice in which she celebrates the female orgasm, confronts taboo topics like homosexuality and urges Arabs to transcend the backward traditions that limit their sexual happiness.

The book, “Top Secret: Sexual Guidance for Married Couples,” is packed with vivid anecdotes from Ms. Lootah’s eight years as a marital counselor in Dubai’s main courthouse. It became an instant scandal after it was published in Arabic in the Emirates in January, drawing praise from some liberals and death threats from conservatives, who say she is guilty of blasphemy or worse.

Ms. Lootah, a strong-willed and talkative 45-year-old, is one of a small but growing number of Arabs pushing for more openness and education about sex. Unlike earlier generations of women who often couched their criticism in a Western language of female emancipation, Ms. Lootah and her peers are hard to dismiss as outsiders because they tend to be religious Muslims who root their message in the Koran.

Ms. Lootah, for instance, studied Islamic jurisprudence in college, not Western psychology, and her book is studded with religious references. She submitted the text to the Mufti of Dubai before publishing it, and he gave his approval (though he warned her that Arab audiences might not be ready for such a book, especially by a woman).

“People have said I was crazy, that I was straying from Islam, that I should be killed,” Ms. Lootah said. “Even my family ask why I must talk about this. I say: ‘These problems happen every day and should not be ignored. This is the reality we are living.’ ”

She is not a liberal by Western standards. One of the themes of her book is the danger of anal sex and homosexuality generally, not because of AIDS but because they are banned by the Koran. But her openness about the issue was itself a shock to many here.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »

Somehow I doubt that that many people are searching "muslim sex tips".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:04 AM »

"Honey, I'm tired of the missionary, why don't you see how the Muslims 'get down' on Google?"

"I tried, but all I got was a link to this silly little political message board."
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »

Actually, Muslims also go on the net.

Actually, there are a lot of youngs in the Muslim world.

Actually, their youngs are interested in the same things our youngs are.

Wink

Internet is a breath for youngs in the Muslim world, they exploit the limits that may be imposed to them in it here or there in the world the most they can.

The new example of this Emirati woman doesn't surprise me. And to me the most important to be noticed is the fact that she comes with Koran.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 08:04:58 PM »

She seems to be doing well for herself.  Her radio show on sexuality, 'The Big Talk', is featured regularly on Egypt's Al Mehwar satellite television, and she has a website:

https://hebakotb.net/en/
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 12:03:57 AM »

There was an Australian guy here called Platypus.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »

"Inspired" thread revival.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2023, 08:12:52 PM »

Lurkers are constantly looking at this thread, so....  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies