Speedy (Secretary of External Affairs) Confirmation Hearing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:09:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Speedy (Secretary of External Affairs) Confirmation Hearing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Speedy (Secretary of External Affairs) Confirmation Hearing  (Read 2472 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »

The President has nominated Senator Speedy as Secretary of External Affairs. I, hereby, open the hearing on his nomination

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »

Lets get one or two things straight from the off:

1) I, for one, hope that the Senate and Atlasia can move on from the last confirmation hearing for Secretary of External Affairs

2) Any questions are to strictly address such matters/issues which fall within the remit of this office

'Hawk'

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:33:49 PM »

What are your thoughts Senator, regarding Senator Dave Hawk's decision to withdraw most of the free trade Bills he had reintroduced, and his decision to move ahead with the Egypt, Kuwait and Iraq Free Trade Bills for geo-political and strategic reasons?

'Hawk'
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »

If confirmed, what do you intend to accomplish during your service?
Several Senators expressed concerns regarding the "activity level" of the previous SoEA nominee. Would you be able to ensure that you remain sufficiently active to fulfill the duties of your post?

1) I, for one, hope that the Senate and Atlasia can move on from the last confirmation hearing for Secretary of External Affairs
I hope that this hearing will proceed in a more civilised fashion as well.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »

What are your thoughts Senator, regarding Senator Dave Hawk's decision to withdraw most of the free trade Bills he had reintroduced, and his decision to move ahead with the Egypt, Kuwait and Iraq Free Trade Bills for geo-political and strategic reasons?

'Hawk'

I think it was a good move. There was danger in the act as it may offend the leaders of the countries involved, so it owuld have been better had they never existed, but I htink in the end there was nothing to gain and alot to lose on many fronts form these agreements, including drawing fire from our fellow countries about questionable human rights policies by many of these countries.

Despite my personal disagreement with Free Trade bills, as Ive mentioned before I promise to put that aside. This is one of those times where that is important. These countries need to know that we are here for them, and at the other end of the spectrum, this also aids the view of the West and the influence of the West in these key geo-political areas. I think the perfect decisions were made by the senator in choosing what to cut and what to keep.

If confirmed, what do you intend to accomplish during your service?
Several Senators expressed concerns regarding the "activity level" of the previous SoEA nominee. Would you be able to ensure that you remain sufficiently active to fulfill the duties of your post?

My position is as busy as the President decides it to be, as I am by consitution definitions only his advisor and nothing more, bu I do plan to keep myself very active in international politics as well as Atlasian politics, hope to be quite active with discussions with the GM, and will insert my advice when I feel it is needed tino any discussion on the senate floor.

In short, yes, i will put all the time I can into ensuring this key position is executed with percision as long as I am in charge of it.

I also hope, if I get the time, to give occasional reports on key issues going on in the world. Naturally, I will not use this as a way to twist reality (AKA play GM0 but rather, to give the public a better description of events as they unfold, and how I plan to react. I will also be scheduling a tour of international leaders within weeks of my confirmaiton so as to assure leaders that the new face in this office will be as friendly as the last.

I hope I have answered these questions to the satisfaction of thier askers, and encourage anyone with a question to fire away. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 09:38:59 AM »

I hope that this hearing will proceed in a more civilised fashion as well.

Well that won't exactly be hard Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 10:52:44 AM »

'Hawk'

I think it was a good move. There was danger in the act as it may offend the leaders of the countries involved, so it owuld have been better had they never existed, but I htink in the end there was nothing to gain and alot to lose on many fronts form these agreements, including drawing fire from our fellow countries about questionable human rights policies by many of these countries.

Despite my personal disagreement with Free Trade bills, as Ive mentioned before I promise to put that aside. This is one of those times where that is important. These countries need to know that we are here for them, and at the other end of the spectrum, this also aids the view of the West and the influence of the West in these key geo-political areas. I think the perfect decisions were made by the senator in choosing what to cut and what to keep.

May I thank the Senator for his reply Smiley

'Hawk'
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 12:34:55 AM »

Will you uphold the Constitution of Atlasia against all enemies, both Foreign & Domestic?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »

Will you uphold the Constitution of Atlasia against all enemies, both Foreign & Domestic?
I wasnt aware my job consisted of anything other than that. Smiley

Of course I will. However, I am not one to be hostile and hawkish towards those who disagree with us at times. I am a firm, but reasonable man, and I hope to portray the same image of Atlasia to those abroad.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:43:54 PM »

I hereby open the vote on the nominee. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:29 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »

Aye
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 09:08:33 PM »

Senator Hawk, I must know....what happens to my vote in this situation? Smiley
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 09:18:10 PM »

Well, I can't find anything that prohibits you from voting on your own nomination. As far as I'm concerned, you are still a serving Senator and therefore retain the prerogatives (i.e. voting rights) of your office

The Consitution does, indeed, prohibit any Atlasian from holding more than one office but should you be confirmed as Secretary of External Affairs, it's incumbent on you to resign as a Senator before taking the oath of office for Secretary of External Affairs

Of course, you may feel that it's unethical for you to vote on your own nomination but I see no lawful reason why you should not. It's your call Smiley

'Hawk'
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »

Well, I can't find anything that prohibits you from voting on your own nomination. As far as I'm concerned, you are still a serving Senator and therefore retain the prerogatives (i.e. voting rights) of your office

The Consitution does, indeed, prohibit any Atlasian from holding more than one office but should you be confirmed as Secretary of External Affairs, it's incumbent on you to resign as a Senator before taking the oath of office for Secretary of External Affairs

Of course, you may feel that it's unethical for you to vote on your own nomination but I see no lawful reason why you should not. It's your call Smiley

'Hawk'

Well then, just to speed this along......

Aye
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 10:10:49 PM »

Just to be a speedbump

Nay.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 10:13:11 PM »

Aye.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 10:33:03 PM »

Aye
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 01:54:11 AM »

AYE
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 05:47:41 AM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »

With 8 Ayes, 1 Nay and 0 Abstentions, the Senate, hereby, confirms Speedy as Secretary of External Affairs

If the Senator could now publically resign his Senate seat before taking his oath of office as Secretary of External Affairs please Smiley

'Hawk'
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies