democrat open convention 1980
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:21:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  democrat open convention 1980
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: democrat open convention 1980  (Read 869 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »

after carter apparently clinched the democrat nomination in 1980, his challenger, ted kennedy, repeatedly called for an open convention to decide the nominee.

several other potential candidates, including scoop jackson and hugh carey, announced their availability in the event of an open or deadlocked convention.

discuss what would have happened.  would carter have been re-nominated anyway?  would kennedy have snatched the nomination? or would the convention turn to someone else?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2006, 06:22:56 PM by Michael Z »

I think Carter would have gotten the nomination anyhow. He was, after all, the sitting President and the perception of him being a "failure" is only something that has come with hindsight.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure anybody old enough to remember 1980 and able to cast their minds back to that election won't necessarily say that Reagan's victory was a dead given, in spite of the problems America had back then (economic malaise/Iranian hostage crisis). Lest we forget that the political centre of gravity back then was still somewhat more to the left (it only shifted to the right after two terms of Reagan) and Reagan was seen as a bit of a risk, perhaps a bit too far to the right to be President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies