Resignation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:29:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Resignation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resignation  (Read 827 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2006, 10:08:54 PM »

I am resigning from the senate to become the next SOEA. Smiley

Dont worry, just because the position has changed doesnt mean that I wont still drop by from time to time. Smiley

--ex-senatorSpeedy
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »

Will this precipitate a special election for District 4? Seems a waste given that District Senate Elections for the Seventeenth Senate are just around the corner Wink

Of course, it may be feasible that the Senate consider whoever wins the District 3 Election, he or she can serve out the remainder of Speedy's term; however, it's not that simple given the effect of redistricting since it would effectively disenfranchise voters in the current District 4 who aren't in the redrawn District 3

So, I'm open to any further suggestions Smiley

Dave 'Hawk'
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »

When do new senators take office?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »

The newly elected Senators will take office Noon Eastern Friday 6th January. They must take their oath of office before they are afforded all Senate prerogatives

Dave 'Hawk'
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 02:29:22 PM »

Will this precipitate a special election for District 4? Seems a waste given that District Senate Elections for the Seventeenth Senate are just around the corner Wink

Of course, it may be feasible that the Senate consider whoever wins the District 3 Election, he or she can serve out the remainder of Speedy's term; however, it's not that simple given the effect of redistricting since it would effectively disenfranchise voters in the current District 4 who aren't in the redrawn District 3

So, I'm open to any further suggestions Smiley

Dave 'Hawk'

The new officers would not take office for almost a whole month meaning that SoS's current District would be un-represented for that much time. If it were a Regional Seat, the Governor could appoint a replacement.

I would suggest this: have a special election for the remainder of the term on election for old D4, stating the winner shall take office immediately upon certification of the vote and swearing in. The term would expire on Jan. 6 when the new officers take over.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:48:20 PM »

The Constitution (I.4.5) calls for a special election for District Senators unless their term of office would be less than two weeks.  According to the Eleventh Amendment, given when Speedy resigned, the special election for the old D4 should be held at the same time as we hold the regular elections for the new Districts which would let the winner hold office for two and a half weeks.  Short, but not short enough to avoid a special election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies