Atlasian-Egypt Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:37:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasian-Egypt Free Trade Bill  (Read 4413 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:20:23 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Egypt.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this Act.

Sponsor: Sen. Dave 'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »

While I have sought to clear the decks of much of the free trade legislation that was re-intoruuced from the Fifteenth Senate, this Bill is one of the free in North Africa and the Middle East which I have retained for consideration by the Senate

It is my intention to subject this Bill to the Hawk Doctrine; therefore, an amendment shall be proposed, together with a further statement, later

'Hawk'
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:40:58 PM »

Without taking into consideration geopolitical considerations, there is absolutely no way that I could consider supporting this bill.  Even with such considerations, I am very leery.  Expect that further amendments beyond Senator Hawk's may be forthcoming so as to incorporate such provisions.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »

Aside from my blanket opposition to all future free trade bills, I certainly wouldn't support one with a repressive one party regime.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:14:18 AM »

Im not sure where I stand on this bill.  It probably doesnt matter since it seems destined to fail anyway.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 10:28:53 AM »

Egypt is an important country right now in international politics, and the easing of trade laws with the nation allows us an extra hand in Westernizing a key spot in what is sure to be a grueling gridlock with the Middle East radical Muslims. I say that, once Senator Hawk proposes his amendments, that it would be in the best interest of Atlasia for the senate to pass this bill.

I, however, gave up my voting rights last week, so all I can do is advise. Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »

I'm sure that all Senators will agree that we live in a precarious world and given the nature of the world today, and the increasing threat posed to Western civil society by Islamic terrorism, I consider it to be in Atlasia's vital interest that we improve relations with Atlasian-friendly states in North Africa and the Middle East, I consider Egypt one of those states

Therefore, I rise in support of this free trade Bill more for geo-political and strategic interests than for our economic interests. President Mubarak has proved to be a steadfast ally in the war against such Islamic terrorism

All said, however, the political system in Egypt is not that of a liberal democracy. Indeed, it is effectively a one party state dominated by Mubarak's National Democratic Party. Egypt also has a poor human rights record. And Atlasia, while seeking to improve relations between Atlasia and Egypt through free trade, cannot turn a blind eye to this.

Therefore, I propose the following amendment:

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Egypt to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Egypt is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Egyptian goods

ii. All Egyptian goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Egypt in its entirety

'Hawk'
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 05:02:33 PM »

I'll vote for the amendment because the intent is good, but I still oppose the overall bill simply because we have way too many free trade agreements already. Repeal some of those before considering this.

I would not be opposed to a bill offering free trade to Egypt as an incentive for political reform, but they don't get it until reforms are made.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »

I believe that with the amendment this Free Trade Bill becomes acceptable to me as not only does it free trade relations between our two countries but also tries to use economic and indirect means to bring about change to an authoritarian society. I applaud Senator Hawk for his proposal.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »

While I applaud Senator Hawk's intent, I cannot find myself supporting this amendment, nor this bill.  I'd much prefer a carrot rather than a stick approach when it comes to Egypt, where trade liberalization is offered as a reward for making  certain political and economic reforms, rather than its repeal if it doesn't.  Indeed, given the geopolitics of the Middle East, I cannot see Egypt's free trade status being revoked unless the situation there worsened (as opposed to merely not improving) and Egypt can't get much worse politically and is not all that good economically.  While I will support the amendment as improving a bad bill, I will not be supporting this bill.  The Atlasian-Kuwait Free Trade Bill will receive my support, but not this one.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:02:29 PM »

I hereby open the vote on the following amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Egypt to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Egypt is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

ii. All Egyptian goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Egypt in its entirety

'Hawk'
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:04:35 PM »

Aye.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 08:25:50 PM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 09:15:02 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »

Aye
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 10:55:12 PM »

NAY, with the currencies nowehere near equal such a Bill would be horrible and cause great outsourcing. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 11:22:34 PM »

Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 11:51:35 PM »

Aye, the amendment improves a bad bill, not to point of it being a good bill, but it's still an improvement
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 08:43:41 PM »

With 7 'Ayes', 1 'Nay' and 0 Abstentions, this amendment has passed

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »

I hereby open the final vote on this Bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Egypt.

2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this Act.

3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Egypt to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of External Affairs in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Egypt is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

ii. All Egyptian goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Egypt in its entirety.

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 09:55:13 AM »

Aye
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »

NAY
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 12:22:24 PM »

I again urge the senate to pass this bill. Either way, I will be in Egypt meeting with President Mubarak next week. I encourage the senate to make my visit as comfortable as possible. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies