LA-2 Runoff Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:15:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA-2 Runoff Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: LA-2 Runoff Results  (Read 4960 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 10:51:52 PM »

64% in, Jefferson is up to 59%.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »

Good question. I don't know actually.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 12:11:15 AM »

This is disgusting. Not only is Jefferson a corporate Democrat, but he's also extremely corrupt.

Why in the world did people vote for him?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 12:31:27 AM »

They mentioned Carter's McKinney-like comments in Spike Lee's documentary and Jefferson's Parish Sheriff Harry Lee's comments about Carter "running her fat mouth".

Her comments seemed accurate to me, and would seem popular among her would-be constituents.  This Lee character seems horrible.

And how were those comments in any way like those coming from the dreaded McKinney?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »

Wow, I'm so disappointed...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 01:25:30 AM »

Yay!  New Orleans gets the government it wants.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »

They mentioned Carter's McKinney-like comments in Spike Lee's documentary and Jefferson's Parish Sheriff Harry Lee's comments about Carter "running her fat mouth".

Her comments seemed accurate to me, and would seem popular among her would-be constituents.  This Lee character seems horrible.

And how were those comments in any way like those coming from the dreaded McKinney?

Seems they were only popular with some of her would-be constituents.

McKinney made several comments and even introduced a related bill (which by the way got 0 co-sponsors).

Harry Lee is rather blunt at times. But he hasn't been a horrible sheriff. He has been in for a while and was considering running for governor a while back.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »

Nagin winning, Jefferson winning, now I almost expect Blanco to win. I wouldnt be surprised if she did.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 03:31:45 PM »

I bet Bobby Jindal will not defeat Blanco now.

He wasn't on his way to do that already?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »

Let the intelligence of urban black voters never be questioned again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 03:42:55 PM »

This is a good example of the problem with continous 1-party rule, only this time I am putting the baggage on the Democrats.

New Orleans and Louisiana as a whole has been dominated by Democrats ever since reconstruction. Only 1 Senator has been elected Governor of Louisiana since reconstruction, and only two Governors, and an election comminsor, and something else IIRC.

Cities like Philly, Detroit, St Louis have been corrupt because of continous rule by a party machine.

Dallas, Houston are not that bad, as Both parties have the potential to win there, tho both clearly lean Democratic.

Democrats often have an easier time having a "Big Tent".

We had 6 straight years of GOP Rule, and it turned corrupt, look at Ohio, so Republicans are guilty of that also.

Anyway, Louisiana proves my point, lengthy 1 party rule=corruption.

What 1 party Democratic rule? Louisiana had a higher percentage of voters vote for a Republican for Congress this year than any other state.

If Dollar Bill runs for re-election in 2008, hopefully he'll lose the new closed primary.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 03:45:37 PM »

On the _state_ level, Louisiana has only been Democratic since reconstruction.

Those DINOs in the state government are less relevant than the Congressional results, seeing as that's what this thread is about.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 03:57:05 PM »

Louisiana had a higher percentage of voters vote for a Republican for Congress this year than any other state.

Due to the open-primary system and the culture of not bothering to run serious (or any a lot of the time) candidates against entrenched incumbents, House popular vote figures are even more useless in Louisiana than in most other states.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If he can avoid jail before then, his chances of winning would probably be better than under the current system; I'm taking a guess that the affluent whites who voted so strongly for Landrieu and now Carter, are far more likely to be registed Indies than the poor blacks that make up Jefferson's base.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 04:01:35 PM »

Dallas, Houston are not that bad, as Both parties have the potential to win there, tho both clearly lean Democratic.

Let me correct you on Texas.  There's a big difference in what you're saying between the cities of Dallas and Houston and the respective counties of Dallas and Harris.

First, both Houston and Dallas "cities" are Democratic in voting patterns, but Dallas is much more so that Houston, because the city of Dallas is surrounded by incorporated cities and has no room to expand.  In addition, Houston is just a very odd city in a number of ways and the elections are non-partisan, so it gets kinda confusing.

Second, the county of Dallas is pretty much a swing county now and Democrats have pretty much taken over at the local level.  This has to do with the traditional moving left of the inner suburbs.  Since Dallas County is not big and there has been huge growth in the surrounding (ultra-Republican) suburbs, the natural trends we've seen all over the country are taking place in the county.

Third, Harris County is a very odd county.  It's only about 55-45 R, but the Republicans have strong control all county-wide offices.  Plus, there is a lot of Harris County that is still rural to the northeast and northwest (very odd) and much of it can be labeled as exurbs.

So overall, Harris C. and Houston are to the right of Dallas C. and Dallas.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »

Ok thank you for clearing that up for me. I tend to get confused with those two areas. Smiley

Which area, DFW or Houston should Democrats look into to potential regain some power in TX?

It's going to be tough in either area.  When you include Fort Worth into the equation (which has moved rapidly Republican over the year), DFW and Houston tend to be equivalent in voting 55%-60% Republican on the whole.  They account for nearly 50% of the state's votes, so you see why Dems have such problems winning in Texas.

If forced, I would probably say DFW, but probably only the Dallas County portion is worth noticing for now.  In the Houston area, Fort Bend County is trending Dem, but not that much.  It's hard for me to say that Harris County is going anywhere.  Galveston County is actually still friendly to Dems, but only locally.  Montgomery and Brazoria are fast-growing and ultra- Republican.  No hope there.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 05:46:05 PM »

I bet Bobby Jindal will not defeat Blanco now.
Blanco's a good governor and it would be smart to reelect her.  Yesterday's events confirm the stupidity of the average Lousianan and I now fear they'll do something even dumber and elect a moron like Jindal instead.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 07:30:49 PM »

Blanco's a good governor and it would be smart to reelect her.

That was more embarrassing than Jefferson over Carter.

Jindal lost because he lost all across Louisiana.  That will not happen again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 10:09:06 AM »

Someone do a map? And a Nagin reelection map too, since I have grave doubts that their coalitions were actually identical or even all that similar.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 10:14:16 AM »

After reading the other thread... I'm retracting that statement.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »

Can't say I'm particularly surprised. We are talking about the state that produced the likes of Huey Long and Edwin Edwards after all.

What strikes me is how low the turnout is - it must be less than 10% of voting age population based on the partial results posted earlier. I know about New Orleans still being depopulated after the hurricane, but even so...
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 11:18:50 PM »

Harry Lee:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/10519472/detail.html
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies