Risk, anybody?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Risk, anybody?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Risk, anybody?  (Read 7971 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm feeling like there's a Risk-shaped hole in this forum these days.  I'm in the mood for bringing it back, so why the hell not?

For anybody who wasn't around the forum from about June 2005 to my 'disappearance' in Feb 2006, I used to run a series of games of Risk.  Instead of the traditional version, the map was based on the USA, with the 42 territories being replaced by the 50 states plus Canada and Mexico.  There were four games that I ran, with the last one being unfinished.

To make up for lost time, and also to introduce some variety this time around, I'm going to be running three games concurrently.  Each one will be based on a different kind of game; Domination, Capital and Mission.  All three will take place in the Election and History Games board.

The object of Domination Risk will be to destroy all opponents and conquer the entire USA.  In Capital Risk, you'll designate one of your initial states as your 'capital', and the object will be to capture three of your opponents' capitals and hold your own all at once.  In Mission Risk, you'll each be randomly assigned a secret task to fulfil in order to win, which will differ from each of your opponents' missions.

Each game is open to six players, but each player may only play one game at a time.  Once each game finishes, the winner may stay on to play in the next game of that type, if they wish.  The losing players may not play in that type of game again (until we reach a point where no new players can be found), but may apply to play in either of the other types of game.

If you want to play:

Then all you need to do is send me a PM at or after 6pm EST tomorrow (Tuesday 12th).  It'll need to contain the following:

• Your choice of game in order of preference.  For example, 1. Mission, 2. Capital, 3. Domination.  If you don't mind which game you play, don't put a preference.  Preferences will be treated as 'first come, first served'.
  • Your choice of color in order of preference.  The choices are: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Black or Purple.  There is no real difference between them; it's purely a cosmetic choice for how you want to be shown on the map.  Preferences will also be treated as 'first come, first served'.

The order of turns for the games will be decided by the order in which I receive the PMs, so you'd do well to get it in ASAP (after 6pm EST tomorrow).  If you're busy tomorrow or whatever, you can get somebody else to send a PM on your behalf.  That person cannot also be applying to join a game themselves, however.

N.B.

I will post some explanatory 'house rules' at the start of each game.  I can clarify any rules for you, but I will ignore any requests to be taught how to play the game.  If you want to play but you don't know how, this link will take you to a helpful guide to the basic rules.  Since we'll be using a different map to the traditional version, there will of course be some variations in the rules, which will all be explained beforehand.

With that in mind, all games are open to all players.  I know I don't get along with everybody on this forum, but I can promise you that I will be a fair moderator.  Whatever disagreements you might have with me and vice versa, they will be left at the door.  I'll stake all my credibility on this promise.

As the last game was postponed indefinitely, I owe something to the remaining players.  If DanielX, MHS2002, Akno21, Gabu and Nini2287 want to play in any of these games, they will be placed at the front of the line.

Harry was banned from playing last time for breaking the rules.  Harry, you're forgiven, and are welcome to play this time.  However, I now have moderator privileges over the Games board, and I will not be afraid to use them if I suspect that you're doing what you did last time.  I'm putting in a lot of effort into this, and the last thing I need is people who cheat and ruin it for everybody else.

Anyway, game on!
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »

This sounds like a superb idea, Joe.  I would like to play, and I have no preference as to the type of game.  If possible, I would prefer my color to be green.  Thank you!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:18:32 PM »

This sounds like a superb idea, Joe.  I would like to play, and I have no preference as to the type of game.  If possible, I would prefer my color to be green.  Thank you!

I can't accept any early applications, I'm afraid.  Only PMs sent directly to me after 6pm EST tomorrow will be accepted.

Thanks! Smiley
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »

My apologies, Joe.  My eyes must have glanced over that part of your post. Smiley

Yates
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:28:29 PM »

I WANT TO WIN
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »

And so you shall - I guarantee it.

Oh wait.  Ignore that, everybody.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 06:06:38 PM »

I won twice and nearly a third time.  I am the undisputed master of RISK on this board.

I'll let others have their go this first time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 06:17:36 PM »

I won twice and nearly a third time.  I am the undisputed master of RISK on this board.

Yeah, get out while you're ahead. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 06:56:27 PM »

Hmm...nah, Ill pass, just in case my memory goes bad and I leave you all siting playerless. Smiley But I will watch them, since I do love it, and if you need an extra player Id be willing to play in anything but mission.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »

Being an "undisputed master" means that you have never lost, not that you have lost 33% of the games you've played... Tongue
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:43 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2006, 07:15:25 PM by MaC »

I'd rather just have the old game back that existed almost a year ago.  I had potential to win that one.

come to thing about it-that was Harry's game wasn't it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »

I'd rather just have the old game back that existed almost a year ago.  I had potential to win that one.

I believe so; I don't think you ever played one of my games.  After I banned Harry from playing and he finally accepted that I wouldn't let him back in, he started his own game.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »

I believe so; I don't think you ever played one of my games.  After I banned Harry from playing and he finally accepted that I wouldn't let him back in, he started his own game.

Why did you ban him in the first place? Was it because he created that other account to try and play Risk?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »

Why did you ban him in the first place? Was it because he created that other account to try and play Risk?

Yep.  I made it perfectly clear right from the beginning that players would not be allowed to play the next game unless they won.  Harry lost the second game, so he created a new account (4mrlrkr) to break the rules and play in the third game.  He deceived me and everybody else for the entire game, before I found out about it right at the end.

But like I said, he's forgiven, and he isn't banned any more.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »

I'd like to play. Hopefully there will still be a spot left Wednesday though since I'll be away from my computer while I study for and take my finals

Cool.  Don't forget, you can get somebody else to send me a PM on your behalf if you won't be around tomorrow.  Also, it'd take some doing for eighteen spots to be filled in such a short time. Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 10:05:55 PM »

May I suggest one of the games be kept aside for novices? I'd like to have a go, but i've never played the game before and have no idea how to do so. I'll read the rules and everything, but a novices' game would be great.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 10:11:21 PM »

One question I had, just to clarify: this is USA Risk again, yes?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 10:04:54 AM »

Yeah, get out while you're ahead. Tongue
He'd be ahead if he could quit while he's behind.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »

6pm EST... . that's midnight. I'll probably check on early tomorrow.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 10:08:04 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2006, 10:11:47 AM by Josh22 »

I want to play (Blue)
Josh
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 12:35:25 PM »

It's a little amazing how many people didn't read the part about "no applications to play will be accepted until after 6pm".  I wrote it twice. Tongue  (Akno and MHS2002 are exempt from that though, since they're already at the front of the line.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »

May I suggest one of the games be kept aside for novices? I'd like to have a go, but i've never played the game before and have no idea how to do so. I'll read the rules and everything, but a novices' game would be great.

Hmm, that could be a little tricky.  The problems are that it's difficult to stream players into different groups based on gameplay expertise, especially since nearly everybody is equally disadvantaged by the different map we'll be using.

You needn't be too daunted.  As I've said, I can clarify any confusing rules.  The main object of the game is simply to have fun. Wink

One question I had, just to clarify: this is USA Risk again, yes?

Yep.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 01:24:50 PM »

I miss forum diplomacy...except for the part where colin backstabbed me...the bastard. Tongue
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 03:04:10 PM »

Hmm... I haven't been visiting here much, but a game of Risk might give me a reason to come more often and maybe get enough posts to vote in elections...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 03:19:48 PM »

It'd be great to have you back, Daniel! Smiley

One thing I forgot to mention.  We'll be going by the forum clock for the 6pm thing, just so there won't be any disagreements.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies