Does anyone honestly believe Obama could've lost in 2004?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:08:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does anyone honestly believe Obama could've lost in 2004?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone honestly believe Obama could've lost in 2004?  (Read 2037 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:45:55 PM »

Just wondering. Since I've seen coments like Obama just got lucky having to face Alan Keyes.

Not only was the entire media in love with him and the state still is (look at his approval ratings. They're actually higher than the vote he got), but the Illinois GOP is a joke. Who would've beaten him?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:47:02 AM »

Just wondering. Since I've seen coments like Obama just got lucky having to face Alan Keyes.

I don't know if "lucky" had anything to do with that.  Many voters don't like carpetbagger politicians, so Keyes already had a tough task ahead of him (let alone his late entry into the race).  Could Obama have lost in 2004?  Of course.  Anyone can lose a race given the right competition and campaign.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:22:49 AM »

But because there was no strong competition in the state, Obama would've won anyway.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:20:50 PM »

Could he have lost? yes.

Could he have lost to Alan Keyes? Probably not.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 01:12:28 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2006, 01:14:59 PM by nickshepDEM »

After his convention speech not even a reincarnated Lincoln could have defeated Obama.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 02:05:08 PM »

I don't know if "lucky" had anything to do with that.  Many voters don't like carpetbagger politicians, so Keyes already had a tough task ahead of him (let alone his late entry into the race). 

That wasn't the reason. Keyes lost because he was a complete nut in a heavily Democratic state. But why couldn't the GOP get anyone better?

Could Obama have lost in 2004?  Of course.  Anyone can lose a race given the right competition and campaign.

Give me a scenario in which Ted Kennedy loses. Or a Republican carries MN-5.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »

After his convention speech not even a reincarnated Lincoln could have defeated Obama.

settle down, nick.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »

Mike Ditka could've made it a race.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:40:19 PM »

Mike Ditka could've made it a race.

I dunno. It probably would have been close in the beginning, but then Ditka would have done a Lynn Swann.

That being said, Mike Ditka owns.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 08:42:39 PM »

If Lincoln lost to fatass Douglas he wouldn't have beaten Obama.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 08:43:43 PM »

settle down, nick.

Settled.  Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 09:18:12 PM »

Ditka was a self described "ultra-ultra-ultra-conservative" blowhard who trailed Obama by 8 points in the only poll taken of that matchup (that was also prior to Obama's convention speech.) He wouldn't have done it.

The point is, Obama didn't get lucky having to face Keyes, there was no Republican in the state capable of beating him.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 09:32:37 PM »

Ditka was a self described "ultra-ultra-ultra-conservative" blowhard who trailed Obama by 8 points in the only poll taken of that matchup (that was also prior to Obama's convention speech.) He wouldn't have done it.

The point is, Obama didn't get lucky having to face Keyes, there was no Republican in the state capable of beating him.

I'm not saying Ditka would've beaten Obama, but Ditka would have at least broken 40% and made it a race.  Ditka has a good personality and can keep his mouth shut.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »

I don't know if "lucky" had anything to do with that.  Many voters don't like carpetbagger politicians, so Keyes already had a tough task ahead of him (let alone his late entry into the race). 

That wasn't the reason. Keyes lost because he was a complete nut in a heavily Democratic state. But why couldn't the GOP get anyone better?

Re-read what I said.  I didn't say he lost BECAUSE he was a carpetbagger.  I said it had hurt him from the beginning, as well as his entering the race late.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

Why?  If you think that someone is incapable of losing an election, then I've got some ocean-front property in Kansas to sell you.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

I said it had hurt him from the beginning, as well as his entering the race late.

And the fact that he's....Alan Keyes...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »

Why?  If you think that someone is incapable of losing an election, then I've got some ocean-front property in Kansas to sell you.
[/quote]

Back in 2004 I would've bet everything I owned that Ted Kennedy would've had no problems winning reelection last November. Was I right?

In MN-5 an ex-Nation of Islam member who's been accused of being supported by a group accused of having ties to terrorism who also had his driver's license suspended for refusing to pay parking tickets and fines (which he had over 40 of), and when asked if how many times his license had been suspended he said it was so many he couldn't remember. He has also been fined numerous times by the state election board for campaign finance law violations. And his opponent was a liberal RINO, AND an ex-Democrat was running on a third party ticket that took over 20%. And he still won with 55%.

I think it's safe to say MN-5 isn't going to elect a Republican.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 08:31:27 AM »

Back in 2004 I would've bet everything I owned that Ted Kennedy would've had no problems winning reelection last November. Was I right?

In MN-5 an ex-Nation of Islam member who's been accused of being supported by a group accused of having ties to terrorism who also had his driver's license suspended for refusing to pay parking tickets and fines (which he had over 40 of), and when asked if how many times his license had been suspended he said it was so many he couldn't remember. He has also been fined numerous times by the state election board for campaign finance law violations. And his opponent was a liberal RINO, AND an ex-Democrat was running on a third party ticket that took over 20%. And he still won with 55%.

I think it's safe to say MN-5 isn't going to elect a Republican.
[/quote]

Yet that does not mean that Kennedy can't lose, nor MN-5 can't go Republican.  And it still doesn't have anything to do with Obama.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »

He may have still won in 2004, but had he been running against ANYONE other than that homophobic nitwit Alan Keyes...it would have been much, much closer.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 02:47:36 PM »

Not only was the entire media in love with him and the state still is (look at his approval ratings. They're actually higher than the vote he got), but the Illinois GOP is a joke. Who would've beaten him?

Fitzgerald.  Had he sought re-election.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 02:51:59 PM »

Had Fitzgerald sought reelection, Hynes would of been a better nominee than Obama, and would of beaten Fitzgerald thus Obama wouldn't have won. That's why Fitzgerald didn't seek reelection anyway. Edgar couldn't sought the senate seat and won. Alot of republicans were looking at him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies