Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) may have suffered a stroke... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:35:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) may have suffered a stroke... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) may have suffered a stroke...  (Read 4197 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: December 13, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »

This is still a rumor of some sort.  Drudge is running it, so is MSNBC.  CNN, AP, FOX and Reuters has not said anything.

It hasd been reported that Johnson was admitted to the hospital earlier today with "stroke-like symptoms", but no information has been released by GW Hospital.

This is the best article I can find right now on the subject.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,53147

I hope no one makes this political, because it isn't.

Obviously, prayers are to be given to the Johnson family in this type of situation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »

Actually, moderator, this would probably be a better fit in US General Discussion; please put it there.

I posted it here because I was reading threads when it popped up across the newswires, apologies...

FOX and AP are now reporting a "possible stroke"
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »

Reuters now has an article that Johnson has apparently suffered a stroke.

Prayers to all.  Sad to see a young man have a stroke at his age.

Link here.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Tim Johnson, Democrat of South Dakota, had an apparent stroke on Wednesday at his office in Washington and has been hospitalized, NBC News reported.

The condition of the 59-year-old Johnson was unknown, the network said.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:59:49 PM »

Look... unless we hear otherwise, it's best not to treat this as if Johnson is near death, incapacitated or anything like that.

It's just... wrong... really.

i would like sam spades post deleted as i did my part, and ill explain to you the _Real_ story in private.

I deleted my post on the subject that I think you are referring to.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:36:50 PM »

Actually I read that according to South Dakota law, the Governor appoints a replacement, but only a temporary one, a special election does need to be called later. In which case Daschle or Herseth would most likely be the favorite (especially with the sympathy vote).

But the good news is it sounds as if he's fine, and this won't be needed.

Clearly you need to improve on your reading skills, which I am sure Mankato State University doesn't bother to provide.

An appointment to the Senate in this situation would not be up for election until November 2008.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 01:16:01 AM »

It was reported on Anderson Cooper that according to two Democratic sources who have been to the hospital, that Johnson is (or was by now I guess) in surgery. Hopefully it is for nothing too serious. It was sounding for a while like Johnson had only fainted, but one is not operated on for fainting.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/12/13/231550/92

I suspected earlier this evening when the spokesman said, "It's an undisclosed illness, not a stroke or heart attack", it probably wasn't good for the Senator whatever it was.  As a rule, whenever someone gives an answer like that, it's much worse than indicated.  If it's not that bad, they'll simply tell you what the problem is, not say "undisclosed illness".

Anyway, prayers for the Senator and his family.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies