Map of the Madagascan Presidential Election, 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:44:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Map of the Madagascan Presidential Election, 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Map of the Madagascan Presidential Election, 2006  (Read 4856 times)
kireev

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:56:58 PM »

Enjoy :-)  I did enjoy making this map because it turned out to be exactly as I had anicipated.  There is a clear division between the central highlands and the coastal regions. The ancestors of the Malay settlers, who live in the central highlands, take the privileged position in the society as I understand, compared to the ancestors of migrants from Africa, who live around the cost of the island. You can also check out the page of Madagascar on the "Electoral Geography" website http://www.electoralgeography.com/en/countries/m/madagascar/

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:08:10 AM »

The proper adjective is Malagasy, if you were looking for it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:28:07 AM »

You should have different shades for the other candidates instead of just for Ravalomanama. Other than that, nice job!
kireev

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:02:20 AM »

Actually, I was not even looking for it :-)

kireev

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:05:31 AM »

I was thinking about it, but I did not do that just because the geography of vote for other candidates is clear even without shades, whereas having different shades for Ravalomanama emphasizes the fact that he is popular in the central region, namely in Antananarivo province.

You should have different shades for the other candidates instead of just for Ravalomanama. Other than that, nice job!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »

Good job kireev.  I traveled to Madagascar last Spring, visiting both Antananarivo in the highlands and Diego Suarez on the north coast.
kireev

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »

Lucky you! Madagascar is in my top 5 places I want to visit.  Did you see any racial difference between the people you saw in Antananarivo and in Diego Suarez?

Good job kireev.  I traveled to Madagascar last Spring, visiting both Antananarivo in the highlands and Diego Suarez on the north coast.
kireev

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 03:40:40 PM »

BTW, I just found an interesting discussion on this exact topic in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Madagascan_presidential_election%2C_2006

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 01:29:40 AM »

Lucky you! Madagascar is in my top 5 places I want to visit.  Did you see any racial difference between the people you saw in Antananarivo and in Diego Suarez?

Yes, dramatic.  The people in Antananarivo were basically very dark Malays.  Presumably they are mixed, but they are quite asian looking.  The people in Diego Saurez were completely African looking.  Fairly hot girls in both locales, but Diego was probably better.

Traveling in Madagascar is different than traveling in Asia in that there are fewer tourists and almost no middle class, which tends to eliminate lower-midrange hotels.  For example in Thailand you can stay in very decent places where working and middle class Thais stay for about $4-15.  In very poor countries like Madagascar there are really only the more upmarket accomodations that serve the well heeled (typically French) tourist and the Malagasy elite  - I paid most nights about $30-80. 

Food is similarly a bit more expensive, though very delicious and a good value.  I think if you go to Nosy Be however there may be cheaper guesthouses as it is a bigger tourist destination.  Do you speak French, kireev?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:35:52 AM »

Is there such a thing as an official 2001 result by province?
kireev

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the country. No, unfortunately I don't speak French. Can you get around Madagascar speaking English only?

Yes, dramatic.  The people in Antananarivo were basically very dark Malays.  Presumably they are mixed, but they are quite asian looking.  The people in Diego Saurez were completely African looking.  Fairly hot girls in both locales, but Diego was probably better.

Traveling in Madagascar is different than traveling in Asia in that there are fewer tourists and almost no middle class, which tends to eliminate lower-midrange hotels.  For example in Thailand you can stay in very decent places where working and middle class Thais stay for about $4-15.  In very poor countries like Madagascar there are really only the more upmarket accomodations that serve the well heeled (typically French) tourist and the Malagasy elite  - I paid most nights about $30-80. 

Food is similarly a bit more expensive, though very delicious and a good value.  I think if you go to Nosy Be however there may be cheaper guesthouses as it is a bigger tourist destination.  Do you speak French, kireev?
kireev

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 07:37:22 PM »

Good question. As I uunderstand, there was a recount, and on electoralgeography.com I only have the original results, not the results of the recount which gave Ravalomanana over 50% of the vote. Just can't find them...

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 10:27:23 AM »

Good question. As I uunderstand, there was a recount, and on electoralgeography.com I only have the original results, not the results of the recount which gave Ravalomanana over 50% of the vote. Just can't find them...

Given that I have exactly no trust in that recount anyways, I'm just going to have to look at your page for the initially official results. Smiley (I'd always wondered where the remaining 14 percent went. They always went uncovered in the news here.)
kireev

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »

What remaining 14%?

Given that I have exactly no trust in that recount anyways, I'm just going to have to look at your page for the initially official results. Smiley (I'd always wondered where the remaining 14 percent went. They always went uncovered in the news here.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 05:28:51 AM »

Those votes that neither Ratsiraka nor Ravalomanana got in 2001. Your page has been helpful on that already. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies