nothing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:34:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Voting Booth (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  nothing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: nothing  (Read 2224 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:42:08 PM »
« edited: December 19, 2006, 05:47:01 PM by Preston »

ignore this post
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »

No I won't
Ignore this Post
Just as long
As it stands
On the Forum
Oh Darling Darling Stand
On the Forum
Oh Stand
On the Forum
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:43:42 PM »

Official Ballot

Nothing

Nay
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »

Abstain
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:22:53 AM »

Aye
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »

This measure fails, with one nay and one abstain.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »

I veto this post.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »

Can I change my vote?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »

Excuse me, but you didn't specify that this was only for Midwest voters.  I demand not to be disenfranchised.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »

1. Write-in: EarlAW
2. Write-in: Nym's Cookies
3. Write-in: Jesus
4. Write-in: Alcon
5. Write-in: ilikeverin's *hughughughug*
6. Write-in: Pie
7. nothing
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »

Excuse me, but you didn't specify that this was only for Midwest voters.  I demand not to be disenfranchised.
No, only Pacificans are disenfranchised.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »

Only as long as they continue their immoral occupation of Nuevo México.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 04:39:35 PM »

Only as long as they continue their immoral occupation of Mike Naso

Fixed your post.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 08:16:53 AM »

Let's Dance to the beat of the drum, peeps
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »

What exactly is nothing?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 09:53:39 AM »

According to Wikipedia......

Nothing is the lack or absence of anything. Colloquially, however, the term is often used to describe a particularly unimpressive thing, event, or object.

Mathematics
In mathematics, nothing does not have a technical meaning. It could be said that a set contains "nothing" if and only if it is the empty set, in which case its cardinality (or size) is zero. In other words, the word "nothing" is a colloquial term for an empty set.

Physics
In physics, the word nothing is not used in any technical sense. A region of space is called a vacuum if it does not contain any matter. But it can contain physical fields. In fact, it is practically impossible to construct a region of space which contains no matter or fields, since gravity cannot be blocked and all objects at a non-zero temperature radiate electromagnetically. However, supposing such a region existed, it would still not be "nothing", since it has properties and a measureable existence as part of the quantum-mechanical vacuum.

Philosophy
The concept of "nothing" has been studied throughout history by philosophers and theologians; many have found that careful consideration of the notion can easily lead to the logical fallacy of reification. The understanding of "nothing" varies widely between cultures, especially between Western and Eastern cultures and philosophical traditions. For instance, emptiness, unlike "nothingness", is considered a state of mind in Buddhism (See Nirvana, Mu, Enlightenment). Existentialism and Heidegger have brought these two understandings closer together.

Language
The label nothing gets perceived as either important or not-important depending on the actual system in which it is considered. Compare these two sentences in which "nothing" plays the central role:

-While traveling to the city nothing happened and so I arrived safely.
-While getting ready to pay I discovered that there was nothing in my wallet, and so I had to go wash the dishes.

The confusion caused by "nothing" can also be seen in the equivocal joke below:

Anything is better than nothing.
Nothing is better than a Coke.
Therefore, anything is better than a Coke.

In Italy, the phrase "il bel far niente" translates to "the beauty of doing nothing", reflecting the manner in which a person may spend time relaxing, often by sitting at a café and watching the world pass by.

In the Elizabethan era, nothing was a crude slang for the female genitalia. This can be noted in the pun found in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

Sometimes, nothing receives idiosyncratic meanings such as a buyable item in the Nothing for Sale Site.

Nothing may also refer to doing nothing important such as going "for a walk nowhere in particular".
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »

According to Wikipedia......

Nothing is the lack or absence of anything. Colloquially, however, the term is often used to describe a particularly unimpressive thing, event, or object.

Mathematics
In mathematics, nothing does not have a technical meaning. It could be said that a set contains "nothing" if and only if it is the empty set, in which case its cardinality (or size) is zero. In other words, the word "nothing" is a colloquial term for an empty set.

Physics
In physics, the word nothing is not used in any technical sense. A region of space is called a vacuum if it does not contain any matter. But it can contain physical fields. In fact, it is practically impossible to construct a region of space which contains no matter or fields, since gravity cannot be blocked and all objects at a non-zero temperature radiate electromagnetically. However, supposing such a region existed, it would still not be "nothing", since it has properties and a measureable existence as part of the quantum-mechanical vacuum.

Philosophy
The concept of "nothing" has been studied throughout history by philosophers and theologians; many have found that careful consideration of the notion can easily lead to the logical fallacy of reification. The understanding of "nothing" varies widely between cultures, especially between Western and Eastern cultures and philosophical traditions. For instance, emptiness, unlike "nothingness", is considered a state of mind in Buddhism (See Nirvana, Mu, Enlightenment). Existentialism and Heidegger have brought these two understandings closer together.

Language
The label nothing gets perceived as either important or not-important depending on the actual system in which it is considered. Compare these two sentences in which "nothing" plays the central role:

-While traveling to the city nothing happened and so I arrived safely.
-While getting ready to pay I discovered that there was nothing in my wallet, and so I had to go wash the dishes.

The confusion caused by "nothing" can also be seen in the equivocal joke below:

Anything is better than nothing.
Nothing is better than a Coke.
Therefore, anything is better than a Coke.

In Italy, the phrase "il bel far niente" translates to "the beauty of doing nothing", reflecting the manner in which a person may spend time relaxing, often by sitting at a café and watching the world pass by.

In the Elizabethan era, nothing was a crude slang for the female genitalia. This can be noted in the pun found in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

Sometimes, nothing receives idiosyncratic meanings such as a buyable item in the Nothing for Sale Site.

Nothing may also refer to doing nothing important such as going "for a walk nowhere in particular".

Here's the problem: You posted something so that cannot be nothing, and if you post nothing you won't answer my question Tongue

Grin (my new signeture)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies