Control of the 110th Senate could be in Republican hands (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:11:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Control of the 110th Senate could be in Republican hands (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Control of the 110th Senate could be in Republican hands  (Read 9510 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 15, 2006, 01:02:17 PM »

I think that Rounds should do exactly what Roy Barnes did.  Appoint a very very moderate member of his own party.  Someone call the moving van to help Lincoln Chafee move to Sioux Falls Smiley

Hah...not a bad plan.

As long as its after Jan 5th, in which it would have no impact on Majority leader and Commiteeships that's not a bad idea.

Not quite.  Unlike the House, where the Speaker once elected stays the Speaker no matter what, the Senate leadership does change if the Majority Leader no longer commands a majority.  Surely June 6, 2001 is not so long ago that you've forgotten what happened when Jeffords crossed the aisle and Lott went from being Majority Leader to Minority Leader.  For the GOP to retake the Senate does not depend on when the Senate goes from 51-49 to 50-50, if such an event should happen during the 110th for any reason.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:54:18 AM »

In fact, I think there should be a law common to all states mandating the Governor to make an interim appointment from the party with which the previous incumbent was affiliated. That way the Senate does not change and the will of the electorate stands until such time as they elect a new senator

What can be any fairer than that, I ask?

Dave

That assumes that it's the task of the State to keep track of who is what party.  Thankfully I live in a sane State that doesn't keep track of which party a voter considers himself to be a part of, if any.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:54:41 PM »

In fact, I think there should be a law common to all states mandating the Governor to make an interim appointment from the party with which the previous incumbent was affiliated. That way the Senate does not change and the will of the electorate stands until such time as they elect a new senator

What can be any fairer than that, I ask?

Dave

That assumes that it's the task of the State to keep track of who is what party.  Thankfully I live in a sane State that doesn't keep track of which party a voter considers himself to be a part of, if any.

It assumes that the interim appointee is a known Democrat or Republican, in that they'd either hold or have held previous elected office as such

Dave

Mayoral races in South Carolina are non-partisan.  Same with the seats in the Nebraska Unicameral, and there are probably other States with similar situations where it would be feasible for there to be a credible and worthy pick for Senator who had no partisan record as an office holder.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 05:00:23 AM »

Better would be to require the election to fill a vacancy to be held within 60 days.  Congress clearly has authority to pass such a law under the time, place, manner of elections.

Yes and no.  The 17th Amendment didn't just copy the language on vacancies for the House and use it for the Senate.  It added some extra verbiage.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

It also didn't strike the language that gave the States the sole responsibility for the Place of chusing Senators.

However, I agree that the Time power, which is what is under discussion here would fall under Congress's purview.  However, that temporary appointment power is liked by the States and not just because of the political situations it can cause.  It enables them to save the expense of a statewide special election by waiting until the next general election to hold it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies