Opinion of the Libertarian Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:32:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Libertarian Party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Go.
Freedom Party

Horrible Party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Opinion of the Libertarian Party  (Read 2312 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »

FF. Libertarianism is a uniquely American form of anti-authoritarianism that I would support.

Fixed.

If you think that letting your boss do whatever he wants to you while you're on the clock is 'anti-authoritarian', then sure. But you just have a weird definition of what is and isn't authoritarian, in that case. Libertarianism is nothing more than inverted Marxism.

You don't have to work for that boss, you can go work for another boss, which puts that guy out of business, which fixes the issue. While a genuine free market would probably need some restricts on the creation of monopolies, the issue can be fixed without resorting to massive government involvement. Ideally the government checks corporate power and the people check both.

You're implying that most people could and would just simply quit their jobs because they don't like who they're working for, and that that would put that person out of business instantly.

Libertarianism is such a cute ideology.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »

FF. Libertarianism is a uniquely American form of anti-authoritarianism that I would support.

Fixed.

If you think that letting your boss do whatever he wants to you while you're on the clock is 'anti-authoritarian', then sure. But you just have a weird definition of what is and isn't authoritarian, in that case. Libertarianism is nothing more than inverted Marxism.

You don't have to work for that boss, you can go work for another boss, which puts that guy out of business, which fixes the issue. While a genuine free market would probably need some restricts on the creation of monopolies, the issue can be fixed without resorting to massive government involvement. Ideally the government checks corporate power and the people check both.

You're implying that most people could and would just simply quit their jobs because they don't like who they're working for, and that that would put that person out of business instantly.

Are you suggesting that a business can work without employees?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »

The Libertarian Party would be a major party, if elections was decided on how much time people waste on discussing on the internet, in the real world on the other hand, it's a deeply irrelevant party, which has failed to get any but the most microscopic influence.
I long for the day I didn't know the party existed, as it's less relevant for our life than Trotskyism, which at least has historical significance. At such the party are not even worth the time I have wasted on writing this, to say nothing about the time I had to waste checking the spelling of "Trotskyism".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »

Their ideas doesnt work in a modern society with enormous concentrations of capital. Big corporations will be even more dominant, than they are today in a Libertarian society, leading to less freedom for ordinary folks. In the 1800th century their ideas would have been fine (all though still pretty hard to implement).
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2012, 10:18:42 AM by Purch »

On Social issues I find that I agree with Libertarians more than with progressives and conservatives.

Conservatices just seem way to radical with their views whiles I tend to agree with progressives on most issues but at the same time I feel their vision of the future isn't always a better vision for society(Sometimes on isues involving gun rights and on issues involving abortion where I feel I fall into the libertarian for life catagory which semes to be pretty significant.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »

Fixed.

Are you suggesting that a business can work without employees?

No, I'm suggesting that it is entirely naive to think that the boss couldn't find people to work for him or her when unemployment is upwards of 8%.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »

that's still not coercion. mind you, i don't think a coercion free society is possible at this point. it was viable in pre revolutionary days (take your pick) but not so much now. people just don't think like libertarians (right or left) overwhelmingly. even something like minarchism is obviously not viable in a democratic society, it might be under monarchism or some sort of un-democratic state but that would be 'forcing people to be free.'

(obvious disclaimer: i am not a minarchist either.)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:55 AM »

Poorly run & subject to questionable interests, though distinctly better than any practical alternatives. I have to admit that Mint is ultimately right; democracy tends against libertarianism over time. I don't see any alternative succeeding, though.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:05 AM »

Essentially they are just an extension of the GOP.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »

No that's the Green Party. Libertarians help Democrats.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

No, the Constitution Party helps Democrats. Libertarians draw from both sides (with a slight GOP lean), but a good chunk is people who wouldn't vote GOP or Dem anyways.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

^^^^

left wing minor party candidates hurt left wing major parties and right wing minor party candidates hurt right wing major parties.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies