*sigh* Another black Republican down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:24:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  *sigh* Another black Republican down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: *sigh* Another black Republican down  (Read 18118 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:52:59 AM »

Randy Brock, Vermont State Auditor - an African-American Republican - has lost his bid for re-election after the recount.  According to politics1, that leaves just two black Republicans left in statewide offices anywhere in the country.  This is a sad day for America.  Happy auditing, Democrats.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:03:09 AM »

I would definitely like to see more black Republicans elected (as well as more white Democrats, especially in heavily black areas), but candidates like Michael Steele and Ken Blackwell aren't going to cut it since they offer little rationale for voting for themselves other than their race.

Not that I'm claiming that black Democratic candidates are usually any better, but it's still something to consider.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:09:03 AM »

I would definitely like to see more black Republicans elected (as well as more white Democrats, especially in heavily black areas), but candidates like Michael Steele and Ken Blackwell aren't going to cut it since they offer little rationale for voting for themselves other than their race.

Please don't put Mike Steele and Ken Blackwell in the same category.  That's like putting Artur Davis and Cynthia McKinney in the same league.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:13:14 AM »

I'd like to see better black Democrats in Philadelphia.  Seriously, the only decent ones are Michael Nutter and Dwight Evans.  I also like State Rep. Cherelle Parker and State Sen. LeAnne Washington, but a good number (Fattah, Reynolds-Brown, Kitchen, Street) are jokes. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 02:15:17 AM »

Please don't put Mike Steele and Ken Blackwell in the same category.  That's like putting Artur Davis and Cynthia McKinney in the same league.

Oh I agree completely that they are far from comparable overall, though in this case they did share that one thing in common.

Interestingly both did quite well for a Republican with black voters. Steele drew 25 percent of the black vote, and even Blackwell actually managed to get 20 percent. However Steele only barely won the white vote while Blackwell lost it by nearly 20 points.
RBH

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:36:16 AM »

Randy Brock, Vermont State Auditor - an African-American Republican - has lost his bid for re-election after the recount.  According to politics1, that leaves just two black Republicans left in statewide offices anywhere in the country.  This is a sad day for America.  Happy auditing, Democrats.

Vermont is the 2nd whitest state in the Union.

Brock's first victory was over a scandal plagued incumbent in an unfavorable year for Vermont Republicans.

Now, in an even worse year for them, he only narrowly lost.

As for that last sentence.

Don, Democrats are not the ones to blame for the problems that face Black Republicans.

After all, we didn't make your party nominate an opponent of the Civil Rights Act in 1964.

Fun notes: Data from Louisiana tells us that only 4% of registered Republicans are African-American. Also, 3% of American Americans are registered Republican.

Maybe that is the Democrats fault. After all, we actually accomplished things to help their lives. Cheesy
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 02:41:52 AM »

Don't forget that Republicans in Congress might now all be white or Cuban.
RBH

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 02:48:45 AM »

Another problem when it comes to Black Republicans: They'll never try to compete against Incumbent African-American Democrats.

Sure, the districts involved are heavily Democratic. But it really doesn't seem like there is an alternative being offered either.
RBH

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 03:07:43 AM »

Republicans didn't hold primaries in 14 Texas primaries in 2006.

Karl Rove recognizes the problems the GOP will have if they don't keep a strong percentage of latino voters.

It's the difference between some discomfort, and having 3 decades of whuppings.

I say three decades because there's always a shot down the road that Hispanic voters move to the GOP as they move up the societial ladder.

Sorta like what happened with Catholics in America.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 03:26:17 AM »

Err...there are African Americans in Vermont?

And one was Republican?

And he held a significant elected office?

Hold on...I had to do a double take.
RBH

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:34:36 AM »

this thread is not complete until someone makes a city map for this election
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 05:08:04 AM »

I find your fascination with black Republicans perplexing.

I don't suppose Don likes the Black Caucus, if you know what I mean?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 09:32:53 AM »

Randy Brock, Vermont State Auditor - an African-American Republican - has lost his bid for re-election after the recount.

Great news!
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:08 PM »

Randy Brock, Vermont State Auditor - an African-American Republican - has lost his bid for re-election after the recount.
Great news!

How so?  Brock was superior to Tom Salmon (son of a former governor) in all regards, save party affiliation.  I would hold that partisanship of the State Auditor surely matters less than his ability to audit, but apparently the people of Vermont disagree.  It was probably the last name more than party, though, that helped Salmon, since even Dubie was reelected this year.

This was one Republican I would have preferred, a rare honor shared perhaps only by Jim Leach.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »

Not that I'm claiming that black Democratic candidates are usually any better, but it's still something to consider.

Micheal Steele pretty much made his run for office about offering something new in Washington. Also Steele is pretty moderate if you look at his record.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 12:54:57 PM »

Micheal Steele pretty much made his run for office about offering something new in Washington. Also Steele is pretty moderate if you look at his record.

Steele doesn't have a legislative record.  Looking at his viewpoints, it seems he only breaks from conservatives on affirmative action, the death penalty and some environmental issues.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 01:22:45 PM »

I'm suprised Vermont had ANY black statewide office holder, regarldess of party.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »

Why, exactly, should America care about the office of Vermont state auditor?  I doubt even most Vermonters care, or even know who this guy is.
RBH

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »

You know, I hope my perfered Party, the Democrats, understand that the black vote going 90% for them wont last forever.

Yeah, it'll decrease to 85% for about 40 years in the mid 21st century.

Wink
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 12:17:59 AM »

I'm suprised Vermont had ANY black statewide office holder, regarldess of party.

You shouldn't be.  The people of Vermont are some of the most open minded in the country... Except for supporting flatlanders =).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »

You shouldn't be.  The people of Vermont are some of the most open minded in the country... Except for supporting flatlanders =).

I assume that was more on the statistical basis that Vermont is less than 1/100th black.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 10:13:43 AM »

"Something new", like being an extreme conservative packed into an African-American body. His whole campaign was, "Vote for me, I'm black." I have less respect for Steele than for Ken Blackwell (!!!)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »

Honestly, putting race aside, there's little rationale for voting for voting for any candidate, other than party and positions on issues.

Lord, I strongly disagree.  Competence is such an important measure, especially in a state office!  I would happily vote for an ultraconservative/ultraliberal AG, for instance, if they did a good job and weren't overtly political.

I'll vote for the candidate with the right positions on issues, regardless of race or gender.  I think candidates like Blackwell and Steele are put up with the knowledge that some people do vote based on race.  I don't see that they were/are any worse than the typical Republican or Democratic candidate.

I agree.

I think the absolute worst quality candidates/politicians out there are black Democrats who represent heavily black districts/cities.  They're positively dreadful, and there's far less rationale to vote for anybody with any brain activity to vote for them than there is to vote for a Blackwell or a Steele.

I really don't think ultra-white, ultra-liberal districts do all that better.  It just tends to be that the most Democratic districts are often the most black (with some significant exceptions).
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 02:27:23 PM »

Maybe it wasn't the color of his skin but the content of his character.

Don, did you agree with the Memphis people who said the 9th congressional seat should go to an AfAm? I, for one, am fairly pleased about Cohen, though he needs to shut up about any more lotteries.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »

Don, did you agree with the Memphis people who said the 9th congressional seat should go to an AfAm? I, for one, am fairly pleased about Cohen, though he needs to shut up about any more lotteries.

Of course you are pleased about Cohen.  He's white, Democratic, and liberal, what more could you ask for?

I don't agree that any one race "owns" a seat or that whites aren't qualified to serve blacks and vice versa.  I think that sort of thinking is damaging and dangerous.

However, when you consider that there are a limited number of districts where qualified African-Americans would get a chance to serve, the situation deserves some serious thought and consideration.

I would support Mark White for any office he chose to ran for, whether dog-catcher or President... but I honestly would have preferred that Derrick Bennett be our Congressional nominee and have Mark run for something else.

I do believe it is important that an elected official, where possible, not just be a representative, but be representative of the district that he or she serves.  It is admittedly hard for an impoverished African-American youth to identify with our new well-off white/Jewish Congressman.

Now we have Carol Chumney running for Mayor.  What kind of message are we sending to the African-American community?  The city and congressional district have overwhelming black majorities but have (and may) elect whites  because of splits in the black vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies