*sigh* Another black Republican down (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:33:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  *sigh* Another black Republican down (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: *sigh* Another black Republican down  (Read 18291 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 23, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »

There is only one logical choice to the GOP in this dilemma:

Keep trying to win black voters, even when/if their share of the GOP vote is 10-15% in a good election.

That's basically what the GOP is doing, though practically speaking, the party can only go so far in trying to win black votes without pissing off their own voters.  This is not to call GOP voters racist necessarily, but to say that many of the things that are of high importance for black voters aren't that important to many GOP voters.  Since most blacks wouldn't vote GOP no matter what, the party can't do a great deal in a futile attempt to win more black votes if they end up alienating their own voters.

I'm not sure how much the GOP would alienate non-racist white conservative voters by trying to appeal towards blacks. While the economic differences may be strong, many black voters are religious and socially conservative, something that is shared with white Republicans.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:14:47 PM »

There is only one logical choice to the GOP in this dilemma:

Keep trying to win black voters, even when/if their share of the GOP vote is 10-15% in a good election.

That's basically what the GOP is doing, though practically speaking, the party can only go so far in trying to win black votes without pissing off their own voters.  This is not to call GOP voters racist necessarily, but to say that many of the things that are of high importance for black voters aren't that important to many GOP voters.  Since most blacks wouldn't vote GOP no matter what, the party can't do a great deal in a futile attempt to win more black votes if they end up alienating their own voters.

I'm not sure how much the GOP would alienate non-racist white conservative voters by trying to appeal towards blacks. While the economic differences may be strong, many black voters are religious and socially conservative, something that is shared with white Republicans.

I think you're kidding yourself about the extent of the racial gulf.

There's really no such thing as 'non-racist;' racism is a matter of degree.

And even eliminating racism, there are many issues where blacks and most whites simply don't agree, and it will be very difficult to bridge that gap.

I don't see this situation changing until blacks reach a level of political maturity at which they don't predominantly belong to just one party.  This is going to take a long time.

I'm not denying that we have a significant racial problem in our society. But of course there are gulfs between urban and rural whites, poor whites and rich whites, liberal whites and conservative whites, etc.

The racial divide won't decrease unless/until people start identifying by their values/lifestyle/goals instead of the race of their ancestors.

I don't think it's fair to blame blacks' voting patterns for the racial divide in our country, as you seem to imply in your last paragraph. Ultimately, members of both races would need to make amends in order to decrease the racial divide. For example, if the Republican party became more moderate, you'd see more blacks voting GOP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies