*sigh* Another black Republican down (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:24:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  *sigh* Another black Republican down (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: *sigh* Another black Republican down  (Read 18282 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: December 19, 2006, 01:52:59 AM »

Randy Brock, Vermont State Auditor - an African-American Republican - has lost his bid for re-election after the recount.  According to politics1, that leaves just two black Republicans left in statewide offices anywhere in the country.  This is a sad day for America.  Happy auditing, Democrats.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:09:03 AM »

I would definitely like to see more black Republicans elected (as well as more white Democrats, especially in heavily black areas), but candidates like Michael Steele and Ken Blackwell aren't going to cut it since they offer little rationale for voting for themselves other than their race.

Please don't put Mike Steele and Ken Blackwell in the same category.  That's like putting Artur Davis and Cynthia McKinney in the same league.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »

Don, did you agree with the Memphis people who said the 9th congressional seat should go to an AfAm? I, for one, am fairly pleased about Cohen, though he needs to shut up about any more lotteries.

Of course you are pleased about Cohen.  He's white, Democratic, and liberal, what more could you ask for?

I don't agree that any one race "owns" a seat or that whites aren't qualified to serve blacks and vice versa.  I think that sort of thinking is damaging and dangerous.

However, when you consider that there are a limited number of districts where qualified African-Americans would get a chance to serve, the situation deserves some serious thought and consideration.

I would support Mark White for any office he chose to ran for, whether dog-catcher or President... but I honestly would have preferred that Derrick Bennett be our Congressional nominee and have Mark run for something else.

I do believe it is important that an elected official, where possible, not just be a representative, but be representative of the district that he or she serves.  It is admittedly hard for an impoverished African-American youth to identify with our new well-off white/Jewish Congressman.

Now we have Carol Chumney running for Mayor.  What kind of message are we sending to the African-American community?  The city and congressional district have overwhelming black majorities but have (and may) elect whites  because of splits in the black vote.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »

Don, did you agree with the Memphis people who said the 9th congressional seat should go to an AfAm? I, for one, am fairly pleased about Cohen, though he needs to shut up about any more lotteries.

Of course you are pleased about Cohen.  He's white, Democratic, and liberal, what more could you ask for?

I couldn't care less what color he is, Don.

I didn't mean it like that - I forgot you were from Nashville.   You come from a part of the wold where there are lots of white Democrats.  Here, there are very few white Dems, though they are well represented in elected offices. (Only about 12% of Democrats in this county are white)

Look at the TN-09 Democratic primary map and then tell me that race doesn't matter to white Memphis Democrats.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

So what?  If the black majority is so large, wants a black representative, and somehow can't elect one, whose fault is that?

Of course it is theirs.  It is also their fault for not realizing that there is more than one political party that they can use to promote their interests.

I believe in and cherish minority representation in public office.  It is the best that we can do until we reach a point in our world where consideration of one's race no longer burdens us.  There is no question who bears the responsibility for electing office-holders.  However, I must raise a concern when I feel that an opportunity for advancement of African-Americans has been squandered.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 12:30:55 PM »

According to politics1, that leaves just two black Republicans left in statewide offices anywhere in the country.

Out of curiosity, does that statistic include outgoing Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele?

No - it includes two officials in Texas (Railroad Commissioner Williams and the Supreme Court Chief Justice)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies