Charles Haughey was a crook - SHOCK NEWS!!!!11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:12:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Charles Haughey was a crook - SHOCK NEWS!!!!11
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charles Haughey was a crook - SHOCK NEWS!!!!11  (Read 987 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2006, 12:18:03 PM »

Former Irish Prime Minister Charles Haughey, who died this year, accepted bribes and followed unethical business practices, a tribunal has found.
The Moriarty Tribunal into Haughey's finances was launched in 1997.

Its 600-page report stated that the former premier was paid IR£50,000 (£42,000) by a Saudi sheikh to support passport applications.

It said he accepted cash from wealthy businessmen over a period of 17 years, including his 13 years as Taoiseach.

Full article here

Such suprising news isn't it? Who'd have thought it?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:21:34 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2006, 12:24:34 PM by Gully Foyle »

I AM SHOCKED TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111. Tongue

Gotta to love the Irish legal system, and the Tribunals and the fact that takes decades for the system to find out what was obvious to everyone since oh well, forever. Roll Eyes

And this let's not forget was the first part of the tribunal (Would Jas know - or anyone else for that matter - how long it took?)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:35:46 PM »

I AM SHOCKED TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111. Tongue
Indeed...

Gotta to love the Irish legal system, and the Tribunals and the fact that takes decades for the system to find out what was obvious to everyone since oh well, forever. Roll Eyes

I think that's a bit harsh on the legal system. (Though, I'll grant that my views as a prospective member of said system may be seen as biased.)Due process takes time.

The value of the judgement of officialdom on Haughey is considerable (though maybe not equal to the financial costs of the proceedings). While many may have been deeply suspicious regarding Haughey's financial affairs for years, it would be unfair to say that it has always been obvious to everyone - particularly the hardcore support.

And this let's not forget was the first part of the tribunal (Would Jas know - or anyone else for that matter - how long it took?)

The Tribunal was created in 1997 (as the Moriarty Tribunal) after the McCracken Tribunal revelations of Ben Dunne's payments.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 06:02:31 PM »

I remember seeing a documentary about Irish politics once, which showed Charles Haughey during the economic crisis in the early 80's giving a TV address to the nation where he said "our problem is that, as a nation, we have been living beyond our means for too long" and saying that public expenditure would have to be cut.

This coming from someone who was on a salary of £50K but with the help of various generous kind hearted pillars of the business community was living like a millionaire!

Yuk.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 02:11:25 PM »

I remember seeing a documentary about Irish politics once, which showed Charles Haughey during the economic crisis in the early 80's giving a TV address to the nation where he said "our problem is that, as a nation, we have been living beyond our means for too long" and saying that public expenditure would have to be cut.

..And Partially due to the fiscal incomptence of his own goverment & previous Fianna Fail goverments he was involved in. Roll Eyes
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »

..And Partially due to the fiscal incomptence of his own goverment & previous Fianna Fail goverments he was involved in. Roll Eyes

It would be remiss not to point out that fiscal incompetence has been practiced by pretty much all parties in Irish history.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »

It would be remiss not to point out that fiscal incompetence has been practiced by pretty much all parties in Irish history.

True. Very True. Just the Lynch\Haughey Govt from 77'-81' was particulary high on that list.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies