If the GOP were to win every county in the U.S. but one...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:42:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If the GOP were to win every county in the U.S. but one...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...which one would they lose?
Washington, DC

Shannon, SD

San Francisco, CA

Macon, AL

Bronx, NY

other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: If the GOP were to win every county in the U.S. but one...  (Read 5634 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2006, 08:49:11 PM »

Hmm...of course this is extremely unlikely, but I'd say Shannon, since it's very poor and a reservation and therefore might not have good access to the same media that the rest of the country gets.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 08:51:55 PM »

Macon
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:39:07 AM »

depends on the candidate's home county
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »

Washington, D.C.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 09:50:05 AM »

Depends just on why the candidate is so grotesquely bad.

Either way, it would have to be a county that isn't just extremely democratic, but also very very weird. That one SE Iowa County where Hagelin polled 20% in 2000 and where Kucinich almost topped the vote in the Caucus in 2004 comes to mind... what's it called? Jefferson?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

Either way, it would have to be a county that isn't just extremely democratic, but also very very weird. That one SE Iowa County where Hagelin polled 20% in 2000 and where Kucinich almost topped the vote in the Caucus in 2004 comes to mind... what's it called? Jefferson?
Indeed, you are correct.  Hagelin won about 14% there in 2000.

I looked at the stats of the county on wikipedia, and based on basic demographics it looked pretty normal, but then I stumbled upon one of the cities within the county: Vedic City, a township "centered on the principles and teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi."  His Transcendental Meditation movement happens to be the basis of the Natural Law Party.

It's also home to Farfield, several miles south of Vedic City, which was the original home of the "Transcedental Meditation" movement.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:38:38 PM »

Indeed, you are correct.  Hagelin won about 14% there in 2000.

I looked at the stats of the county on wikipedia, and based on basic demographics it looked pretty normal, but then I stumbled upon one of the cities within the county: Vedic City, a township "centered on the principles and teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi."  His Transcendental Meditation movement happens to be the basis of the Natural Law Party.

It's also home to Farfield, several miles south of Vedic City, which was the original home of the "Transcedental Meditation" movement.
There's also a Maharishi University of Management if memory serves me right.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 04:23:59 PM »

The Democrats could run Satan and they'd still win DC.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 04:25:46 PM »

The Democrats could run Satan and they'd still win DC.
Not if the Republicans run Charlie Rangel.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »

The heavily black counties could most certainly flop.  I am going with San Francisco because I like the city and I think the Dmeocrats are more ingrained.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 06:49:19 PM »

I think it's the heavily Native American counties that would flip last; in this case, probably Shannon, SD.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 02:43:48 PM »

I'm thinking that if something makes all those other counties swing GOP it would had to involve blacks switching sides for some reason. Now, I'm reasoning this could be a factor bringing minority voters in general over to the GOP side. So, I went with San Fransisco. But Shannon is a good candidate as well. The others seem to be too similar to me, making it hard to see why one would switch and not the others.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 09:39:52 PM »

San Francisco.

Why it wouldn't be Shannon:
Though Shannon is the most Democratic, there are similar counties that tend to be quite Democratic and dominated by Native Americans in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico, etc. If the Republican managed to win all of these, then he should win Shannon, too.

Similar for Macon, there are many rural majority black counties in the South. If the Republican won all of these then it should be believable that he or she could win Macon, too.

Though extremely unlikely, I would have to say that the Bronx and Washington, DC are more likely than San Francisco. Both are counties dominated by poor minorities who vote very Democratic. If a Republican won one (and similar counties with a large group of poor minorities, like Cook, Wayne, or Baltimore) then he should win the other.

That leaves San Francisco. The Green Party has a better chance of winning this city than the Republican Party. No county really strikes me as being terribly similar to San Francisco... other far-left cities like Seattle are in counties with their suburbs. Alameda has Oakland, which should swing it to the GOP if they can win places like the Bronx and DC... No other counties are nearly as Democratic as San Francisco without being significantly poorer or having much larger Black or Native American populations. So in my opinion, San Francisco would be the last county to go Republican.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »

No county really strikes me as being terribly similar to San Francisco... other far-left cities like Seattle are in counties with their suburbs. Alameda has Oakland, which should swing it to the GOP if they can win places like the Bronx and DC...

Oakland is to the left of San Francisco. New York (county), NY is similiar to San Francisco.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:12:26 AM »

No county really strikes me as being terribly similar to San Francisco... other far-left cities like Seattle are in counties with their suburbs. Alameda has Oakland, which should swing it to the GOP if they can win places like the Bronx and DC...

Oakland is to the left of San Francisco. New York (county), NY is similiar to San Francisco.
It's probably fairly absurd to think the Republicans could win Manhattan without winning San Francisco first, actually.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 01:10:01 PM »

A better question would be the inverse (ie: If the Dems were to win every county in the U.S but one..), and for that there would be a loongg list of possible answers. Of course, the changes of either this or the above question ever happening are slim to none - and the slim has long left town.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »

San Francisco.

Why it wouldn't be Shannon:
Though Shannon is the most Democratic, there are similar counties that tend to be quite Democratic and dominated by Native Americans in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico, etc. If the Republican managed to win all of these, then he should win Shannon, too.

Margins. There are plenty of other heavily Native American counties, but none of them are quite as strongly Democratic as Shannon. I hold that Native Americans would be the last bloc to abandon the Democratic Party, but, in a landslide situation, even many Native Americans would support the Republicans. Thus, while other, less strongly Democratic Native American counties might vote Republican, Shannon would narrowly vote Democratic.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »

Either the Bronx, NY or San Francisco, CA-both areas get heavily 86%+ Democratic
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »

As Harry and Lewis have hinted, it depends why the GOP wins every county but one. It could easily be the Democrat's home county or something.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »

It's probably fairly absurd to think the Republicans could win Manhattan without winning San Francisco first, actually.

Republican result in 1997 race for NYC Mayor in Manhattan: 51%
Republican result in 2005 race for San Fransisco Mayor: 2.4%

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 04:03:04 AM »

Republican result in 1997 race for NYC Mayor in Manhattan: 51%
Republican result in 2005 race for San Fransisco Mayor: 2.4%

Yeah, yeah, I know. And while my statement is worded too strongly, I nonetheless stand by its core message. A Republican winning Manhattan in a presidential election would win SF first, unless maybe if he's Rudy Giuliani against a Democrat not just very weak but also Californian.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 11:56:29 PM »

I think San Francisco is very liberal, but I can see them voting Republican if there is a moderate. I still voted for SF because I've been there, and it would probably vote for the Democrat. I don't think a single county would be left, there would at least be a few.
08watch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »

They'd lose Philly.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:25:49 PM »

The Bronx. I should know, I used to live there. Bloomberg couldn't even win it.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 10:39:26 PM »

A better question would be the inverse (ie: If the Dems were to win every county in the U.S but one..), and for that there would be a loongg list of possible answers. Of course, the changes of either this or the above question ever happening are slim to none - and the slim has long left town.

The list for the inverse would not only be extremely long, but would contain counties no one has ever heard of. It's much easier to talk about the question in the poll, since 3 of the most Democratic counties (D.C., San Fran., the Bronx) everyone is familiar with, and the other two (Shannon, SD and Macon, AL) are unique in that they both contain a large minority population (Natives in the former; Af.-Am's in the latter). There is nothing that really sets apart the ultra-Republican counties from each other.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies