Orange County, CA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:45:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Orange County, CA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Orange County, CA  (Read 2509 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:59:18 PM »

Aside from the 1936 presidential election, has Orange County, CA, ever voted Democratic in a statewide election?

Has it always been so conservative?  Has the reason for its conservatism always been due to its rich white majority?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »

Actually I think it's not quite as conservative (and lily white) as it used to be.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »

It's almost a third Hispanic, but - since many of them don't vote - it's still staunchly Republican.

And, yes, as far as I can tell, it's a remaining bastion of affluent suburban conservatism that seems to be hanging on relatively well in the L.A. metro (even in Los Angeles County's suburbs).

There are people who know much more about it than I do, though.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:11:28 PM »

I've always thought that admitting Orange County as a state would be a good  partisan offset to admitting Puerto Rico as a state.  That's just me fantasizing though.  Also, I didn't realize what a large Asian community there is in OC.  According to Wikipedia it is 13.59% Asian.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »

The show SUCKS.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:59:24 AM »

According to Wikipedia it is 13.59% Asian.

Largely thanks to the Vietnamese that settled here after the war. "Little Saigon" is the largest community of Vietnamese outside Vietnam.

Very interesting.  I had no idea.

As for the TV show, you gotta love how crappy it is.  My roommate and I watch it just to see who can correctly predict farthest into the show's future.  Last season we pratically predicted half the season finale based on the first episode.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:58:17 AM »

Crappy as the county itself is, we shouldn't judge it based on the show.

And I say this only because I don't want my state judged based on Black Sheep.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »

I guess the Vietnamese in Orange County vote Republican because the party is more forcefully anti-communist, although its no longer a big issue, since we have trade ties with them now.

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »

I guess the Vietnamese in Orange County vote Republican because the party is more forcefully anti-communist, although its no longer a big issue, since we have trade ties with them now.

I'm not sure that shifting the Vietnamese vote one way or another would have any affect on Republican control here.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »

I've always thought that admitting Orange County as a state would be a good  partisan offset to admitting Puerto Rico as a state.  That's just me fantasizing though.  Also, I didn't realize what a large Asian community there is in OC.  According to Wikipedia it is 13.59% Asian.

Funny thing, I have a friend who's moving from OC to Puerto Rico, and he's Filipino.

I just went to San Diego recently, and we flew in from John Wayne, since we couldn't get flights into S.D. My relatives all live in suburban San Diego, which is very conservative. OC is surprisingly diverse, and I do think that the main reason for its conservatism is the overall wealth there. Also, I think that Southern California is overall conservative if you get rid of L.A. There are large military populations throughout the region as well. As a Washingtonian, I horrifically noticed when flying home over the LA/OC area, that there are only houses, houses, and more houses, for miles. It doesn't seem as if they have environmental protections against urban sprawl in SoCal.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »

The show, the county, its people; everything to do with Orange County can go  themselves.  I wish it would fall off the coast and drift into the sea. It makes an average state like California the worst in the union.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 01:16:04 PM »

Orange County is a relic of when California was a GOP state. They're more partisan than conservative. They're conservative for california standards due to favoring center-right economics and a social policy NOT involving greenie/PC social engineering.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies