Arizona Reigns as Fastest-Growing State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:05:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona Reigns as Fastest-Growing State  (Read 5891 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2006, 03:43:40 PM »

Arizona has ended Nevada's 19-year reign as the nation's fastest-growing state, fueled by immigrants and Americans moving from other states.

At the other end of the scale, Louisiana lost nearly 220,000 people - more than any other state - in the year following Hurricane Katrina, according to population estimates released Friday by the Census Bureau.

Arizona led the nation with a population growth rate of 3.6 percent in the past year, followed by Nevada, Idaho, Georgia and Texas.

"There are housing developments sprouting everywhere, whether they are on former farmland or in the desert," said Tom Rex, associate director of the Center for Competitiveness and Prosperity Research at Arizona State University.

The pace of development has strained Arizona's resources and preoccupied local officials, Rex said.

"All they can think about is getting the sewer lines out to the new housing and getting the roads in," he said.

Arizona added about 32,000 immigrants in the past year. It added four times that many people who were relocating from other states. The biggest donor state: California.

"It used to be merely a retirement magnet for Midwest seniors," said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank. "Now it's also a front door for immigrants from Mexico and an escape hatch for Californians seeking affordable housing."

The Census Bureau estimates annual state population totals using local records of births and deaths, IRS records of people moving within the United States and census statistics on immigrants. The bureau does not distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants, and most experts believe that the number of illegal immigrants is underestimated.

Among the findings for 2006:

-Texas gained the most people, about 580,000, followed by Florida, California, Georgia and Arizona.

-North Carolina broke into the top 10 in total population, nudging New Jersey to 11th.

-Four states and the District of Columbia lost population: Louisiana, New York, Rhode Island and Michigan.

Many other states lost people who relocated elsewhere in the country, increasing their populations only through births and immigration.

The South had a net gain of a half million people relocating there from other parts of the U.S., while the Northeast had a net loss of 375,000 people and the Midwest lost 184,000, according to the census estimates.

The West added 53,000 people from other parts of the U.S., even though California lost nearly 300,000 people to other states.

Texas passed Florida as the top destination, in part from people fleeing the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Other relatively affordable southern states such as Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee also had significant increases in people moving there from other states.

"Good climate and affordability seem to be the draws for Americans this decade," Frey said.

In the Northeast, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts continued to lose large numbers of people to other states. In the Midwest, the big losers were Illinois, Michigan and Ohio.

Louisiana had been losing people to other states for years before Hurricane Katrina hit, though the storm exacerbated the problem, said Elliott Stonecipher, a veteran Louisiana demographer and pollster. Last year's loss amounted to nearly 5 percent of the state's people.

"The numbers make it clear that Katrina has had an incredibly negative effect," Stonecipher said. "But pre-Katrina, Louisiana was already in trouble."

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/76206.aspx
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 08:55:24 PM »

I'm surprised at an AP story that is in advance of the official release tomorrow. Perhaps the CBN website chose to jump the gun when the received the AP advance copy.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:28:16 AM »

Hmmm. Will Arizona start a streak of being the fastest growing state or is this just an off-year for Nevada?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:25:35 AM »

Hmmm. Will Arizona start a streak of being the fastest growing state or is this just an off-year for Nevada?

I believe it comes from the way the Census Bureau fails to distinguish undocumented/illegal vs. legal immigrants.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 06:25:57 AM »

Well. Could be both. We´ll see it after the 2010 figures are released. I suppose Nevada will again grow faster than Arizona in the 2000-10 timespan.

An interesting fact is that the Population of California according to the latest Census Bureau Report was 36,5 Mio. on July 1, 2006.

A seperate report by the California Department of Finance Demographics Unit also released yesterday found its population at 37,5 Mio.

A difference of about 1 Million.

So what is the right figure now ? Census 2010 will tell us.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »

Arizona gaining two seats might be good for the Democrats.

Arizona became the first state to reject a gay marriage ban.
Arizona added two Democrats to its delegation, and Democrats made impressive gains in the legislature.

This is the type of State Democrats _MUST_ be able to win after 2010.

James

First, the measure was rejected because it banned both civil unions as well as 'gay marriage.'  If it had merely dealt with marriage, the measure would have passed handly,

Secondly, a civil war broke out in Arizona between the big business Republicans and conservative Republicans.  The stupid and arrogant big business types act like the Sunnis in Iraq (they believe that even though they are in a minority, they are foreordained to rid roughshod over everybody else).   
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 03:12:06 PM »

Arizona gaining two seats might be good for the Democrats.

Arizona became the first state to reject a gay marriage ban.
Arizona added two Democrats to its delegation, and Democrats made impressive gains in the legislature.

This is the type of State Democrats _MUST_ be able to win after 2010.

James

First, the measure was rejected because it banned both civil unions as well as 'gay marriage.'  If it had merely dealt with marriage, the measure would have passed handly,

Secondly, a civil war broke out in Arizona between the big business Republicans and conservative Republicans.  The stupid and arrogant big business types act like the Sunnis in Iraq (they believe that even though they are in a minority, they are foreordained to rid roughshod over everybody else).   

Most states would have passed the gay marriage ban, reguardless if it included banning civil unions or not. Look at Wisconsin.

Oh, I havn't heard any news reports of conservative and big business Republicans fighting and rioting, and shooting eachother. Please give me a link.

James

First, I do not know if "most states would have passed the gay marriage ban even if it included banning civil unions."  I do know that Arizona has a libertarian leaning conservatism which believes in tolerance but does NOT require endorsement.

Second, the big business type Republicans (derisively known as 'country clubbers') HAD influence in Arizona politics far above their relative numbers in the electorate.  The Democrats have contempt for them, as do conservative Republicans (now).  Apparently you are unaware that in American politics, violence is rarely employed.  However, some elements are just as irrationally arrogant at the Iraqi Sunnis.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

I hear McCain is still looking for lettuce pickers at $50 an hour.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »

I hear McCain is still looking for lettuce pickers at $50 an hour.

Thanks.

Yes, McCain is a slimebag!
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 08:55:49 PM »

Well. Could be both. We´ll see it after the 2010 figures are released. I suppose Nevada will again grow faster than Arizona in the 2000-10 timespan.

An interesting fact is that the Population of California according to the latest Census Bureau Report was 36,5 Mio. on July 1, 2006.

A seperate report by the California Department of Finance Demographics Unit also released yesterday found its population at 37,5 Mio.

A difference of about 1 Million.

So what is the right figure now ? Census 2010 will tell us.

1 million people? Well, it is California, so 1 million isn't such a big difference.

Interesting stuff. Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:29:57 PM »

If Pelosi goes crazy next year, I sure wont be a Democrat no more.

Pelosi gone crazy

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 01:07:17 AM »

Whats so crazy about that?  It looks like she's just waving to the crowd of a parade to me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 01:12:33 AM »

Whats so crazy about that?  It looks like she's just waving to the crowd of a parade to me.

jfern is just being facetious, I think.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 10:49:44 PM »

Right now, Texas is expected to gain 3 House seats/EV, and is actually very close to gaining a fourth.  If the Democrats can't figure out how to put up any competent statewide candidates come 2010, things could get quite amusing, as Texas Republicans would undoubtedly go after Chet Edwards and Lloyd Doggett again most likely (or Ciro, if he's still around by then).

Based on population trends, it is almost certain where the three new House seats will go.  One will be in the northern Dallas suburbs.  One will be in the southeast Houston suburbs.  The last will be in the major growth area between Austin and San Antonio.  If a 4th CD appears, it will be centered around McAllen or so (South Texas).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:28:55 PM »

LOL!!!! At the picture.  I immediately got it.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies