Sources say that Obama has made up his mind to run for president in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sources say that Obama has made up his mind to run for president in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sources say that Obama has made up his mind to run for president in 2008  (Read 6319 times)
Please Delete my account!!
Michael_Barkley
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
« edited: December 23, 2006, 12:40:48 PM by Michael Barkley »

This should make a lot of the red avatars on this board pretty happy, assuming it's true.   This is courtesy of Robert Novak at realclearpolitics

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/12/inside_report_obama_runs.html
Inside Report: Obama Runs
By Robert Novak

OBAMA RUNS

Contrary to reports that Barack Obama is still trying to make up his mind whether to seek the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, sources close to the first-term senator say he is unequivocally committed to making the race.

The word has spread through political circles that Obama's wife, Michelle, is resisting the campaign out of fear for her husband's physical safety as an African-American candidate for president. But an Obama insider dismissed that as a problem. "We took care of that last summer," he told this column.

A footnote: Obama advisers were surprised how much the prospect of his campaign has shaken front-running Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. For the first time, she has asserted that she would have voted against going to war in Iraq if she knew then what she knows now.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 12:37:59 PM »

Let's hope this is true. Obama has by far the most potential of any Democratic candidate, and it benefits all of us if he decides to toss his hat into the ring.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 12:42:54 PM »

I think he will make it the second time around in 2012.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 12:46:52 PM »

Obama is a nice guy, but I would never vote for him (or Hillary, for that matter)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:50:20 PM »

Good. Even if he doesn't win the nomination (or the Presidency for that matter) he will add something positive to the race.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 03:03:52 PM »

A footnote: Obama advisers were surprised how much the prospect of his campaign has shaken front-running Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. For the first time, she has asserted that she would have voted against going to war in Iraq if she knew then what she knows now.

If Obama's insurgent campaign can give Hillary that much of a scare, Gore's entry would probably force her to drop her presidential ambitions for '08 completely. 
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »

I, for one, believe that he is little more than a flash in the pan. When the election season really kicks in, Obama-mania will die.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 03:30:52 PM »

I, for one, believe that he is little more than a flash in the pan. When the election season really kicks in, Obama-mania will die.

... Just saving this one for posterity. Cheesy
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 03:32:28 PM »

... Just saving this one for posterity. Cheesy

Haha, fair enough.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 03:42:06 PM »

i agree.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »

i agree.

The only person on the board with worse political instincts than Vlad and Mitty is AUH20. It's refershing to see that they both think Obama is a "flash in the pan".
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »

i agree.

The only person on the board with worse political instincts than Vlad and Mitty is AUH20. It's refershing to see that they both think Obama is a "flash in the pan".

Get over it.  This was an unexpectedly bad year for Republicans, so it's more than likely that a lot of their predictions would have been wrong.

Obama has received nothing but positive coverage.  In fact, his lack of legislative record and accomplishments is seen as a virtue by Democrats.  Are liberal - whoops - progressive ideas really so pathetic that their candidate can only be elected by speaking in platitudes and having a deep voice?

Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 06:26:31 PM »

i agree.

Get over it.  This was an unexpectedly bad year for Republicans, so it's more than likely that a lot of their predictions would have been wrong.

Obama has received nothing but positive coverage.  In fact, his lack of legislative record and accomplishments is seen as a virtue by Democrats.  Are liberal - whoops - progressive ideas really so pathetic that their candidate can only be elected by speaking in platitudes and having a deep voice?

Your guy got elected twice in a row by speaking in platitudes, and he didn't have much of a legislative record as govenor to speak of either.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »

This is from Bob Novak...take it with a grain of salt.

If true though, this is awesome news!
Deano963

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 07:20:38 PM »

i agree.

LOL - very true. The fact that Mitty is predicting that Obama will be a flash in the pan makes me think I should go bet every penny to my name that Obama will be elected President in '08.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 11:39:43 PM »

The only person on the board with worse political instincts than Vlad and Mitty is AUH20.

My 2006 projections weren't that far off...I wasn't one of the looneys who projected a Santorum victory.

All it takes is a grain of knowledge regarding the history of primaries to see that candidates that heat up this early usually burn up and fade.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 11:53:38 PM »

Clinton is still the frontrunner without any question, dazzleman.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 11:53:58 PM »

The star begins to fade...
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 11:59:50 PM »

This early in the race, the front runner is not determined by poll results....rather, whoever is leading in media coverage. Which at this point in time, is definitely Obama.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 12:01:15 AM »

This early in the race, the front runner is not determined by poll results....rather, whoever is leading in media coverage. Which at this point in time, is definitely Obama.

No, it's not.

Whenever you see a general election poll, you see the matchup of McCain v. Clinton.  If the media didn't feel those two were the frontrunners they wouldn't be polling them incessantly.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »

No, it's not.

Whenever you see a general election poll, you see the matchup of McCain v. Clinton.  If the media didn't feel those two were the frontrunners they wouldn't be polling them incessantly.

Usually when a poll is conducted, it is done so with multiple candidates which usually include Obama. Clinton is just the default candidate at this moment in time, that doesn't nessecarily make her the front runner. Obama is dominating the tube, the papers, and the blogosphere at this moment in time. This would imply that he has the momentum...he who has the momentum controls the race. The key characteristic of a front runner.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 12:06:16 AM »

Clinton is the frontrunner in every sense of the word.  Sorry, I know ya'll hate Obama and might even be scared of him but it's impossible to call anyone besides Clinton and McCain the frontrunners.

Look at TradeSports for a case contained in a point.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 12:11:16 AM »

Clinton is the frontrunner in every sense of the word.  Sorry, I know ya'll hate Obama and might even be scared of him but it's impossible to call anyone besides Clinton and McCain the frontrunners.

Look at TradeSports for a case contained in a point.

Who said I hated Obama? "Hate" is a word you throw around far to often. I am certainly not scared of him. I in fact encourage his candidacy. It would be far easy to run him over than it would be a Richardson or Edwards led ticket. I simply said that, despite all of the polling, if you ask someone to tell you who they have seen most in the media lately...I could almost garuntee you that they will say Obama.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 12:15:24 AM »

The media isn't very into the presidential election at this point.  Only people like us follow this stuff 2 years before the electon, so neither Clinton nor obama have been mentioned much as relates to election 2008.

Of course, Clinton is in the news media regardless.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 12:23:17 AM »

Oh, and Vlad, I figured out why I don't like you.  You don't have any evidence to back any of your arguments.  No numbers.  Just blanket statements, which are vague and hard to refute but not factually based.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies