Das Kapital
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:10:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Das Kapital
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Das Kapital  (Read 2213 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2006, 07:50:06 PM »

If you haven't found this site before, here is the complete text to Karl Marx's Das Kapital.

From the chapter on British landlord's "primitive accumulations" of the yeoman's land in Scotland:

As an example of the method [29] obtaining in the 19th century, the “clearing” made by the Duchess of Sutherland will suffice here. This person, well instructed in economy, resolved, on entering upon her government, to effect a radical cure, and to turn the whole country, whose population had already been, by earlier processes of the like kind, reduced to 15,000, into a sheep-walk. From 1814 to 1820 these 15,000 inhabitants, about 3,000 families, were systematically hunted and rooted out. All their villages were destroyed and burnt, all their fields turned into pasturage. British soldiers enforced this eviction, and came to blows with the inhabitants. One old woman was burnt to death in the flames of the hut, which she refused to leave. Thus this fine lady appropriated 794,000 acres of land that had from time immemorial belonged to the clan. She assigned to the expelled inhabitants about 6,000 acres on the sea-shore — 2 acres per family. The 6,000 acres had until this time lain waste, and brought in no income to their owners. The Duchess, in the nobility of her heart, actually went so far as to let these at an average rent of 2s. 6d. per acre to the clansmen, who for centuries had shed their blood for her family. The whole of the stolen clanland she divided into 29 great sheep farms, each inhabited by a single family, for the most part imported English farm-servants. In the year 1835 the 15,000 Gaels were already replaced by 131,000 sheep. The remnant of the aborigines flung on the sea-shore tried to live by catching fish. They became amphibious and lived, as an English author says, half on land and half on water, and withal only half on both. [30]

You never need trouble yourself to read any of opebo's posts again!
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:17:31 PM »

Not that I expect many responses to this thread, but I will say that, on the purely historical narratives, Marx is actually engaging to read. He knows how to work his theme through even 16th century primary sources.

The only problem starts when attempts to use these sources as evidence of economic trends that simply did not occur. The wealth the landlords amassed through the 17th century wool trade did not go into urban manufactures! He's confusing two seperate developments.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:21:53 PM »

If you haven't found this site before, here is the complete text to Karl Marx's Das Kapital.

From the chapter on British landlord's "primitive accumulations" of the yeoman's land in Scotland:

As an example of the method [29] obtaining in the 19th century, the “clearing” made by the Duchess of Sutherland will suffice here. This person, well instructed in economy, resolved, on entering upon her government, to effect a radical cure, and to turn the whole country, whose population had already been, by earlier processes of the like kind, reduced to 15,000, into a sheep-walk. From 1814 to 1820 these 15,000 inhabitants, about 3,000 families, were systematically hunted and rooted out. All their villages were destroyed and burnt, all their fields turned into pasturage. British soldiers enforced this eviction, and came to blows with the inhabitants. One old woman was burnt to death in the flames of the hut, which she refused to leave. Thus this fine lady appropriated 794,000 acres of land that had from time immemorial belonged to the clan. She assigned to the expelled inhabitants about 6,000 acres on the sea-shore — 2 acres per family. The 6,000 acres had until this time lain waste, and brought in no income to their owners. The Duchess, in the nobility of her heart, actually went so far as to let these at an average rent of 2s. 6d. per acre to the clansmen, who for centuries had shed their blood for her family. The whole of the stolen clanland she divided into 29 great sheep farms, each inhabited by a single family, for the most part imported English farm-servants. In the year 1835 the 15,000 Gaels were already replaced by 131,000 sheep. The remnant of the aborigines flung on the sea-shore tried to live by catching fish. They became amphibious and lived, as an English author says, half on land and half on water, and withal only half on both. [30]

That's OK, I don't anyway.
theman9235
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.59, S: 9.09

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 08:41:26 PM »

are u kidding..
please tell me how germane this piece of two bits will have any impact on anything?
Im not trying to be a toad, i have tried reading "des capital" which is actually easy to read. But there is nothing anyone could get anything relevent from it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 12:46:58 AM »

We read him purely for entertainment.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »

are u kidding..
please tell me how germane this piece of two bits will have any impact on anything?
Im not trying to be a toad, i have tried reading "des capital" which is actually easy to read. But there is nothing anyone could get anything relevent from it.

If you're gonna criticize one of modern history's most influential thinkers for not being relevant I would suggest you learn to spell words like relevant and the title of his book correctly first.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »

If you're gonna criticize one of modern history's most influential thinkers for not being relevant I would suggest you learn to spell words like relevant and the title of his book correctly first.
I'm surprised to hear anyone still thinks Marx "influential". Tongue

Nice passage, Store. Probably completely true, too. Sad Doesn't change the fact Marx didn't understand Economics, no more than Milton Friedman did. Wink
theman9235
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.59, S: 9.09

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 08:24:13 PM »

are u kidding..
Im not trying to be a toad, i have tried reading "des capital" which is actually easy to read. But there is nothing anyone could get anything relevant from it.

alright i get your point--but how is it relevant in modern times?HuhHuh??
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 12:45:18 AM »

What does Marx have to do with my posts, Storebought?

Nice passage, Store. Probably completely true, too. Sad Doesn't change the fact Marx didn't understand Economics, no more than Milton Friedman did. Wink

In your opinion, who does 'understand economics', Lewis Trondheim?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 06:25:39 AM »

What does Marx have to do with my posts, Storebought?

No one who thinks it can be easily fitted into mathematical or otherwise schematical models, or in fact meaningfully divorced from sociology (which cannot be meaningfully divorced from economics, either).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

No one who thinks it can be easily fitted into mathematical or otherwise schematical models, or in fact meaningfully divorced from sociology (which cannot be meaningfully divorced from economics, either).

Excellent answer Lewis Tranheim.  I would also throw politics in there as inextricable.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:06:23 AM »

Excellent answer Lewis Tranheim.  I would also throw politics in there as inextricable.
Obviously.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 06:26:42 PM »

are u kidding..
Im not trying to be a toad, i have tried reading "des capital" which is actually easy to read. But there is nothing anyone could get anything relevant from it.

alright i get your point--but how is it relevant in modern times?HuhHuh??

The materialistic view of history is still predominant, at least in Sweden. The whole concept of class struggle and the focus on class as an important factor for pretty much everything is largely thanks to Marx.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies