The 43rd President: Albert Arnold Gore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:58:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  The 43rd President: Albert Arnold Gore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The 43rd President: Albert Arnold Gore  (Read 13012 times)
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »

The Conventions

26-29JUL04 -- The Republican National Convention  is held in New York City.   Republicans from all spectrums to include John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Arnold Schwarzengger give uplifting prime-time speeches praising Thompson. The party platform slams President Gore’s “mishandling of the economy and homeland security.” The platform calls for “significant tax cuts and cutting  the “government waste” to improve our national defense.” 

Thompson is officially the Republican Nominee for President on Wednesday night with Cellucci nominated at the Vice Presidential Nominee. Thompson’s acceptance speech Thursday night is well received.  Thompson comes across polished and professional but does hit the President hard on his record.

Parts of Thompson’s Acceptance Speech…

“I am humbled and honored tonight to accept your nomination.  I am here because I offer a chance of hope. A chance of promise. A chance to build our nation back to hope and promise…four years ago, President Gore promised a vibrant economy. An economy he and Clinton were proud to take credit for. But today, President Gore has taken this economy of which he was so proud of, and has run it into the ground… he promised to keep us secure, and promised a strong militarily and he has failed to provide us security…Ronald Reagan once asked this country ‘are you better off than you were four years ago?’ Clearly, we are not…As President, we will strengthen our security, protect our borders and stimulate our economy with tax cuts.”

The morning after the convention (30JUL04), Thompson has his biggest lead on the President…
   Thompson:  54%
   Gore: 30%
   Undecided: 16%
Many point out of how the President came back from a double-digit deficit in 2000 to defeat Bush however, many see the 24% lead as almost a “slam dunk” for Thompson.   FOX News proclaims President Gore as “a lame duck President even before the election.” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer admits,  President Gore is “in the worst shape for an incumbent since 1932.” 

01AUG-27AUG04 -- During the time between conventions, the Thompson/Cellucci ticket campaign hard throughout most of the mid-western states to large and enthusiastic crowds. Meanwhile President Gore and John Kerry stump throughout the New England states and the west, trying to secure the solid Democratic states which are beginning to fall towards Thompson.

19AUG04 -- Polls release a map of the electoral college outlook

Keys: Dark colors are Solid states, light are leaning one way or another, gray is a tossup.

Thompson/Cellucci: 240
Gore/Kerry: 140
Toss-up:158

28AUG04 -- President Gore’s Approval Ratings
      30% Approve
      66% Disapprove

29AUG04 -- Election Poll
   Thompson:  53%
   Gore: 33%
   Undecided: 14%

30AUG-02SEP04 -- The Democratic National Convention is held in Boston.  The party platform take a liberal tone with keynote speeches from Howard Dean, Barbara Boxer and Rev. Jesse Jackson, who tout President Gore’s virtues.  Zell Miller does make a passionate plea for the convention to strengthen homeland security. “If we do not act, we will fail as a party and as a people for a generation.”  President Gore is re-nominated although Zell Miller does receive nearly 300 votes.  Miller is seen hugging President Gore before the President makes his acceptance speech. 

Many pundits, predicted a cold and unemotional President, are amazed over the President’s speech. Mainly his tone, Gore is emotional when mentioning 9/11 and 3/11, “Every day goes by without thinking of  those innocent civilians who have died on my watch…I was the President when this happen and I, alone take the responsibility for those people…for all those who rallied to the causes when these acts occurred, we need to rally again to foster a stronger homeland security and a stronger economy.” The speech is a rousing success and the convention floor gives the President a 26 minute standing ovation after the speech.  MSNBC’s Chris Mathews comments, “President Gore tonight, may have saved his Presidency.

05SEP04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson:  49%
   Gore: 41%
   Undecided: 10%
Most of the press is shocked. Bill O’Reilly quoted “I’d figured last week that President Gore was a lame-duck but now, he may pull another career life-saving comeback for him.”

More encouragement comes to President Gore over his Approval Ratings:
      43% Approve
      50% Disapprove

Coming up - the debates and will President Gore continue his comeback?
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 05:46:22 PM »

mm
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »

Would you please post more? I am understanding that you might not have time but I really want to know the end of the election year.
Gporter: Thanks for your interest. I seriously thought interest died out on my story.

Anyhow, I just moved from Colorado to Lawton, OK and I just got my computer back. I'll see if I can continue this very shortly.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »

Folks - it’s been a long wait. Thanks for your patience.

11SEP04 -- On the third anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, President Gore address a memorial service in NYC addressing the tragedy of the event. Meanwhile, sparks fly when Thompson’s running mate, Paul Cellucci comments that day that “President Gore is using  the deaths 9/11 for his own political gain.” The Gore camp calls Cellucci’s comments “Extremely insensitive.“ Even Thompson is angry over this and rumors fly that Thompson privately berates Cellucci for his actions and is threatening to drop Cellucci from the ticket.

13SEP04 -- Cellucci holds a press conference to publicly apologize for his actions. ‘I was out of line with my thoughts and I made a mistake.” Furthermore, Thompson, separately makes clear that he will not drop Cellucci and also apologizes for any comments that may have offended the victims of the 9/11 attacks.

17SEP04 -- President Gore’s Approval Ratings
      44% Approve
      46% Disapprove

28SEP04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson/Cellucci:  48%
   Gore/Kerry: 44%
   Undecided: 8%

30SEP04 -- First Presidential Debate (Miami, FL) The debate is held in a traditional style format focusing on domestic issues.  Senator Thompson won points citing the President’s inability to control the rising unemployment and the recession claiming that “tax hikes are the problem and tax cuts are the solution.” Meanwhile President Gore scored points with his expansion of saving social security while Thompson scared some people off by his plan to privatize parts of social security.   

Polls taken right after the debate show almost a draw: 33% felt that President Gore won the debate while 32% felt that Thompson won.  Meanwhile 25% polled agreed that the debate was a tie.

03OCT04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson/Cellucci: 47%
   Gore/Kerry: 45%

05OCT04 -- Vice Presidential Debate (Cleveland, OH) The debate started off well with both sides clearly defending their party’s policies however John Kerry opens a can of worms by questioning  Celucci outright about his personal finances. “How can Paul Cellucci speak of balancing budgets when he can’t budget his own finances?” Cellucci simply responds with “I could comment on Senator Kerry’s military record but I’m above the personal attacks.” Quickly the moderator, Gwen Ifill cuts off the attacks and moves back to the debate. Even though the spat lasted less than 30 seconds, it cost Kerry the debate.

Polls taken after the debate gave Cellucci a slight edge over Kerry. 46% felt that Cellucci won while 39% thought Kerry won.

07OCT04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson/Cellucci: 48%
   Gore/Kerry: 45%
   Undecided: 7%

08OCT04 -- Second Presidential Debate (St. Louis, MO) - In the town hall style debate, many of questions were focused on the economy and terrorism. President Gore was hit hard with several questions regarding  “the inability to handle” economic and security issues.  President Gore spent most of the night on defense as Senator Thompson commented that President Gore has “made more excuses than actions” causing several members of the audience nod their heads in agreement.   

Polls taken after the debate gave Thompson a clear win with 53% polled agreed that Thompson won while 41% thought Gore won.

11OCT04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson/Cellucci: 49%
   Gore/Kerry: 43%

13OCT04 -- Third Presidential Debate (Phoenix, AZ)  In the third and final debate, neither side scored much of an advantaged until the end of the debate. In his closing remarks however, Senator Thompson takes a page out of Ronald Reagan.

“Twenty-four years ago, Ronald Reagan asked, ‘are you better off than you were four years ago?’ Tonight, I would like to ask you that again. Do you feel safer now? Do you feel financially secure? Do you trust your government? Do you trust your President?”  A shot on President Gore shows that he knows that Thompson may have ‘put the nail in his coffin.’

Post-debate polls give Thompson another clear win with 52% giving Thompson the winner with 37% thought Gore won.

15OCT04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson:  51%
   Gore: 43%
   Undecided: 6%

20OCT04 -- Economic figures are released  and it doesn’t look good. Unemployment has hit 8.5% and there is almost no economic growth. To further complicate the issue, inflation has beginning to become a concern again as the rate is over 6%.  Senator Thompson takes a page out of Jimmy Carter’s ‘76 campaign to state how the “misery index” is plaguing the administration.

23OCT04 -- 2004 Election Poll
   Thompson:  50%
   Gore: 40%
   Undecided: 10%

Most that are polled are beginning to express doubts over the President. With his approval rating dropping 4 points in the last month, Americans are concerned over the latest economic news and feel that the President has not done enough to revive the economy.

29OCT04 -- A new video of Osama bin Laden is released, addressing the American people directly. Bin Laden acknowledges responsibility for the September 11, 2001 attacks, criticizes President Gore, and notes to Americans that "Your security is not any hands. Your security is in your own hands and you are not safe today or tomorrow.”

Thompson immediately points out “This is who the President has failed to capture for the last four years. His leadership has kept this madman loose and terrorizing the world.”

Meanwhile President Gore’s campaign defends that “He (Bin Ladin) is on the run. He is scared and we will capture him.”

01NOV04 -- In the final poll taken before the election, MSNBC’s Chris Matthews asks to a Democratic Strategist “has the roof has caved in on the President?” “Chris, I’m afraid so..”  Also, polls are showing Thompson with a strong chance of carrying traditional Democratic states such as California, New York, Connecticut and Illinois. 
   Thompson/Cellucci: 54%
   Gore/Kerry: 41%
   Undecided: 5%

Other networks are also pointing out the polls and begins President Gore’s political obituary.

CBS News Dan Rather: "After a valiant career, fighting for the common man, President Gore is at the end of his rope and probably at the end of his hard working presidency.”

FOX News Sean Hannity: “This is 1980 all over again for the Democratic Part.”

CNN Bill Schneider: “The polls are clear - America wants change and will give Fred Thompson a chance.”

02NOV04 -- Election day.  Exit polling is show no significant changes in the polls but turnout is over 60%.

Coming up -- election night. Any surprises???
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »

How mean of you to stop before election night!!!
Can't wait for the update!
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 03:02:16 PM »

Election Day and Election Night.

DISCLAIMER Just as a gentle reminder! Smiley

The events described in this story is totally fiction and are being written free from political bias but may not be 100% accurate.  Constructive criticism is always welcome.

President Gore, voted absentee two weeks earlier finished the last 48 hours with stops in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Missouri and returns to the White House at 15:30 on election day.

Senator Thompson ended his campaign with a midnight rally in Nashville and voted first thing on election morning. Neither candidate makes comments throughout election afternoon.  There are some claims of voting regulates in Ohio and Florida but deemed as minor glitches.

At 19:00, as the first states close their polls,  NBC News begins Election Night and Tom Brokaw opens with a stunning announcement

“Good Evening.  NBC News is projecting that former Tennessee Senator Fred Dalton Thompson will defeat President Al Gore and become the 44th President of the United States.” 

Other networks are not as bold as NBC however FOX News’ Brit Hume does admit “I would bet my house and car that Thompson wins tonight - there’s no way he can lose now.”

The Thompson campaign, in Nashville are silent.  President Gore’s campaign team, in the White House proclaim, “The election isn’t over until it is over. We are confident, the President will be re-elected.

However by 1930, clearly Thompson has won some key “swing states” like OH, NH and FL with ease.

Thompson/Cellucci: 126
Gore/Kerry: 3

By 2030 Thompson is inching closing to a victory with Gore struggling.

Thompson/Cellucci: 225
Gore/Kerry: 28

By 2115 - As CBS News Dan Rather puts it: “By now the fat lady is warming up and is about to bust the note out.”

Thompson/Cellucci: 254
Gore/Kerry: 32

At 2142, the state of Michigan is called as Peter Jennings calls it “Sealing the victory for Fred Thompson.”

Thompson/Cellucci: 271
Gore Kerry: 32

Within 10 minutes, all the networks proclaim Fred Dalton Thompson as the 44th President of the United States. 

The question is now when will President Gore concede?  At 2210, the Gore Campaign staff announced that President Gore did call President-elect Thompson to congratulate him (which the Thompson campaign confirms) but will not give a formal concession until 2300 when the polls close on the West Coast. 

At  2315, in the East Room of the White House, President Gore concedes defeat.

At 2345, President-elect Thompson address a huge crowd in Nashville accepting the victory.

By 0530 on 03NOV04, the final result - an electoral punishment for President Gore:

Thompson/Cellucci: 474EV, 67,702,869 (55.36%)
Gore/Kerry: 64EV, 53,076,310 (43.40%)
Others: 0EV, 1,516,466 (1.24%)

Next I will produce a breakdown of each state and how they voted  - to the tenth of a percent for Thompson and Gore.

Also - House and Senate results.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 03:55:37 PM »

Job will done MikeyMike! Also how do the Senate races turn out?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies