NBC News: Saddam to be hanged within 36 hours (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:43:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NBC News: Saddam to be hanged within 36 hours (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NBC News: Saddam to be hanged within 36 hours  (Read 6848 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: December 28, 2006, 07:16:58 PM »

Perhaps because the opportunity to extract any kind of remorse or recompense from him will die with him.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »

Perhaps because the opportunity to extract any kind of remorse or recompense from him will die with him.

True--but this will give closure to many people.

Like the war in Iraq itself, you mean?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 07:33:08 PM »

Saddam has definately shown a lot of remorse for his actions in his life. Roll Eyes

Of course not; he had no reason to be remorseful as long as he was getting away with it.  Now that we actually have him, we could have made him be remorseful by giving him a proper punishment.  I'm sure your imagination could come up with some ideas; I already have.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2006, 07:47:23 PM by Joey Jo-Jo Jr. Shabadoo »

Me neither. Joe seems to be of the delusion that we are losing the Iraq war. Obviously he actually believes what the reporters are saying.

And most of the government, too.  Who else is there to believe?

Also, if I apparently can't believe what those evil reporters (boohissboohiss) are saying on the subject, whom should I listen to for information instead?  My clairvoyancy isn't exactly up to scratch these days.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 07:49:11 PM »

... Please?

You said that this execution will give closure to many people.  My reply was to suggest that perhaps this would lead to closure on the war itself.  It was, however, a semi-facetious statement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 07:55:36 PM »

Me neither. Joe seems to be of the delusion that we are losing the Iraq war. Obviously he actually believes what the reporters are saying.

And most of the government, too.  Who else is there to believe?

Also, if I apparently can't believe what those evil reporters (boohissboohiss) are saying on the subject, whom should I listen to for information instead?  My clairvoyancy isn't exactly up to scratch these days.

Believe the soldiers who are there on the ground who see whats going on every day. I know quite a few who were there and what they've seen compared to what the media says is night & day. Can you actually expect reporters to ever give POSITIVE news?

Even if I actually knew any soldiers in Iraq at all (which I don't), aside from their personal experiences they wouldn't really provide an over-arching summary of what's happening out there.

It'd be the same if you asked a couple of WWI soldiers in a trench whether the war is going well in general.  Sure they could tell you what's been happening to them, but that's obviously only a small part of it.

So, since I don't know any soldiers out in Iraq anyway, who should I rely on for news of the war instead?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »

How can his execution be the right thing to do if there is even the possibility that it could lead to the death of innocent people?
Why should than not matter?

So I guess you and the others here wouldn't have supported the execution of high Nazis after the Nuremburg trials?

In my case at least, you're correct.  You've been consistently missing the point that many of us who are opposed to the DP are making.  It is not because we are sympathetic to the tyrants, because I sure as hell am not.  It is because there are far worse ways of punishing somebody that actually last longer, and involve making said tyrants wish they'd never been born, let alone 'sorry'.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 08:02:53 PM »

In my case at least, you're correct.  You've been consistently missing the point that many of us who are opposed to the DP are making.  It is not because we are sympathetic to the tyrants, because I sure as hell am not.  It is because there are far worse ways of punishing somebody that actually last longer, and involve making said tyrants wish they'd never been born, let alone 'sorry'.

Oh no, I know exactly what you're saying. And I completely agree. The main problem though is that your wishes would never actually be carried out because you'd have to many people bitching and whining about "compassion". My solution, though quick, would actually produce a result. If I could be guaranteed a result through your methods I would approve of it.

You also have a fair point there.  Essentially we agree on the fundamentals, and differ on the details. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 08:59:52 PM »

States, you're 27.  At what age does a person become worldly-wise, exactly?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies