Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2016, 09:39:48 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  ATTN MODS: one of your forum members is demanding that others commit suicide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: ATTN MODS: one of your forum members is demanding that others commit suicide  (Read 2186 times)
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Poland

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:48 am »
Ignore

To be fair, it's been a long time since "DIAF" was used (at least a year, judging from search results Badger posted). Also, it was considered more of "screw you" equivalent than an actual death wish. Still, given all the developments, I wouldn't use it now.

Let's be real here, Kal. This was unquestionably a reply meaning "screw you" rather than "literally end your life".

I see your point, Badger. I just think, again, is that in the light of some more recent events we should be more cautious when it comes to stuff like this. Virginia made a good point about "never really knowing."

A filthy Saracen and defiler of the Holy Land. FF.
Badger
badger
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2016, 12:52:45 am »
Ignore

Considering there are a number of posters here whose mental health has been, shall we say, fragile at times, I think a ban of some sort is called for.  At least to set an example. 

I don't think we can consider such language on the basis that the target is KNOWN by the poster to have such issues. A perfect example was Joe Republic encouraging Tweed to attempt suicide again in the midst of the whole Bacon King/Modgate scandal. As much of a creep as Tweed was being (and still usually is), it was over the line.

Short of that, we CANNOT reduce disourse on Forum to the level of whether or not an inadvertent harsh word will trigger a suicide attempt. At the risk of sounding insensitive , someone so troubled that the final straw is the words of an anonymous poster on a politics site, is likely to be lost to the world by any one of inevitable day to day mini-crisises (a parking ticket, a rude customer service rep, an unexpected late fee, etc.) that we can't stop.

Let's not convince ourselves restricting such relatively tame "screw you" level insults will actually mean the difference between life and death for anyone.

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Averroës
Averroës Nix
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.70, S: -4.20

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2016, 02:29:20 pm »
Ignore

Considering there are a number of posters here whose mental health has been, shall we say, fragile at times, I think a ban of some sort is called for.  At least to set an example. 

I don't think we can consider such language on the basis that the target is KNOWN by the poster to have such issues. A perfect example was Joe Republic encouraging Tweed to attempt suicide again in the midst of the whole Bacon King/Modgate scandal. As much of a creep as Tweed was being (and still usually is), it was over the line.

Short of that, we CANNOT reduce disourse on Forum to the level of whether or not an inadvertent harsh word will trigger a suicide attempt. At the risk of sounding insensitive , someone so troubled that the final straw is the words of an anonymous poster on a politics site, is likely to be lost to the world by any one of inevitable day to day mini-crisises (a parking ticket, a rude customer service rep, an unexpected late fee, etc.) that we can't stop.

Let's not convince ourselves restricting such relatively tame "screw you" level insults will actually mean the difference between life and death for anyone.
A comment like the one under discussion here very easily could be a factor in a person's decision to end their own life. There is nothing "inadvertent" about telling another person to kill himself. It is a calculated act of cruelty, and in this case it comes from someone with a history of abusing other people on this forum.

Say what you want about AAD, but it has ways of handling most problem posters who enjoy bullying, causing pain, and de-railing discussions. And AAD is not dominated by the constant bullying, sniping, and harassment that defines most discussions here - the bulk of which is more objectionable for its sheer tedium rather than its cruelty.

Why would I want to post here when I can discuss the same subjects with most members of this community on another forum where people are not constantly nasty to each other? Certainly, few posters in good standing there would make excuses for someone who has repeatedly, and by all indications at least somewhat seriously, encouraged posters to kill themselves, which is the only sort of discourse that your equivocating would protect.

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2016, 08:29:18 pm »
Ignore

A comment like the one under discussion here very easily could be a factor in a person's decision to end their own life. There is nothing "inadvertent" about telling another person to kill himself. It is a calculated act of cruelty, and in this case it comes from someone with a history of abusing other people on this forum.

Say what you want about AAD, but it has ways of handling most problem posters who enjoy bullying, causing pain, and de-railing discussions. And AAD is not dominated by the constant bullying, sniping, and harassment that defines most discussions here - the bulk of which is more objectionable for its sheer tedium rather than its cruelty.

Why would I want to post here when I can discuss the same subjects with most members of this community on another forum where people are not constantly nasty to each other? Certainly, few posters in good standing there would make excuses for someone who has repeatedly, and by all indications at least somewhat seriously, encouraged posters to kill themselves, which is the only sort of discourse that your equivocating would protect.

The tedium of insults over at AAD isn't as pervasive, but in terms of bullying I think it's often harsher, being more concentrated against certain people.  And a lot people who if they came over from this site to there, would be bullied until they left, as has happened before.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:05 pm »
Ignore

The tedium of insults over at AAD isn't as pervasive, but in terms of bullying I think it's often harsher, being more concentrated against certain people.  And a lot people who if they came over from this site to there, would be bullied until they left, as has happened before.

I believe libby is still posting...
Californiadreaming
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Today at 05:19:59 pm »
Ignore

x Californiadreaming
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout