Airline Protection Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:27:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Airline Protection Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Airline Protection Bill  (Read 3009 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:51:27 AM »

I've by-passed the Atlasian Iraq Free Trade Bill to move the following Bill onto the floor since the former Bill, in the event of the Atlasian-Kuwait Free Trade Bill failing, shall be withdrawn

Airline Protection Bill

1. No airline may receive federal subsidies in any circumstance.
2. Atlasian airlines are free to operate domestic routes at their discretion, and may terminate them at any time without notice.
3. If an airline wishes to fly an international route, it is subject to any restrictions regarding air travel between that country and Atlasia.
4. No foreign individual or corporation may own more than 49% of an airline registered in Atlasia.
5. No foreign airline may operate domestic routes in Atlasia.

Sponsor: Sen. Brandon W
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:33:42 AM »

Wow.  This bill finally made it to the floor.  I only introduced two Senates ago.  I wrote this bill in response to another one but could care less if it passes.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:16:28 PM »

Well I don't really agree with either Section 4 or 5. I believe that whatever company, either foreign or domestic, should be able to fly domestic routes and any foreign company should be allowed to own any amount of stock in a Airline.

Airlines are no different in their value to Atlasia than any other corporation. By restricting foreign investment into the airline infrastructure we are sending a protectionist message to the rest of the world and continuing to treat airlines as a seperate and more important entity than other national corporations.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »

I believe that whatever company, either foreign or domestic, should be able to fly domestic routes and any foreign company should be allowed to own any amount of stock in a Airline.
I can your point with the stock but not with the routes issue.  Why should foreign airlines be allowed to operate domestic routes in Atlasia if they wont allow our airlines to do the same.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »

I believe that whatever company, either foreign or domestic, should be able to fly domestic routes and any foreign company should be allowed to own any amount of stock in a Airline.
I can your point with the stock but not with the routes issue.  Why should foreign airlines be allowed to operate domestic routes in Atlasia if they wont allow our airlines to do the same.
Why shouldn't they be?  It may be profitable for that airline.  It's not the government's place to restrict that.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »

Senator Brandon W raised a very fair point and in answer to his question. They shouldn't Wink

It's time Atlasia started to put the interests of our domestic airlines first and foremost. Perhaps closing our domestic routes to foreign airlines will, how shall I put it, persuade those governments to open their domestic routes to ours. There's too much give, on our part, and not enough take. As the old proverb goes "what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander". In instances like this, such protectionism is justifiable

'Hawk'
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 09:16:27 PM »

Actually, it would just persuade the foreign countries to keep their domestic routes closed.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »

It's time Atlasia started to put the interests of our domestic airlines first and foremost. Perhaps closing our domestic routes to foreign airlines will, how shall I put it, persuade those governments to open their domestic routes to ours.

No, not at all. I believe that closing Atlasian domestic routes would make foreign countries close their domestic routes to Atlasian airlines. That's as logical as saying "by installing large tarriff barriers we will encourage other countries to get rid of theirs".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasia has a population of 300 million people, the rest of the world has over 5.7 billion people and I'm guessing a good amount of those are in need of some sort of air transport at some point during their lives. I have to say that the world market for Atlasian airlines is huge and the market in Atlasia for foreign airlines to invest in is large when compared to other countries and would thus be a major draw to international corporations.

Why can banks, which are probably just as important and asset if not more important than airlines, be owned by foreign entities, corporations and persons but not airlines? I would say that the economic pull of such companies as HSBC, ABN Amro and Royal Bank of Scotland are much more important and would have a much larger effect on the Atlasian economy than an Atlasian airline market which allows foreign carries to run domestic routes.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »

I intend to vote against this bill because of the last two sections. They come across as being far too protectionist and possibly even vaguely xenophobic when seen from a foreigner's perspective.

I disagree with placing restrictions on foreign airlines simply because they are foreign. If we are attempting to persuade foreigners into opening their domestic routes to our airlines, closing our domestic routes to them is not going to accomplish that. Furthermore, I don't see anything wrong with allowing foreigners to own more than 49% of airlines registered in Atlasia; again, if we are trying to convince foreigners to start allowing Atlasians to own large portions of foreign airlines (or companies), preventing them from owning Atlasian companies won't encourage progress.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »

Actually, it would just persuade the foreign countries to keep their domestic routes closed.

But, as things stand, closing our domestic routes to foreign airlines (i.e. depriving them of something they already have) might give foreign countries food for thought. Either way our airlines gain, theirs lose, since their domestic routes are closed to our airlines anyway

I see no reason why our airlines can't operate profitable, low cost to the consumer, domestic routes. We could consider giving them tax breaks if it helps to ensure that they do

Perhaps, the Gray Plantation Company can diversify into domestic air travel, once I'm back as Chairman and majority shareholder. Won't be too long now Wink

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »

I intend to vote against this bill because of the last two sections. They come across as being far too protectionist and possibly even vaguely xenophobic when seen from a foreigner's perspective.

I disagree with placing restrictions on foreign airlines simply because they are foreign. If we are attempting to persuade foreigners into opening their domestic routes to our airlines, closing our domestic routes to them is not going to accomplish that. Furthermore, I don't see anything wrong with allowing foreigners to own more than 49% of airlines registered in Atlasia; again, if we are trying to convince foreigners to start allowing Atlasians to own large portions of foreign airlines (or companies), preventing them from owning Atlasian companies won't encourage progress.

But as things stand, it's our airlines which are at a disadvantage Sad here.  It's the fact that Atlasian-owned airlines are prohibited from operating domestic routes in foreign countries, which is the issue here. And that to me is fundamentally wrong Sad

'Hawk'
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:54 PM »

But as things stand, it's our airlines which are at a disadvantage Sad here.  It's the fact that Atlasian-owned airlines are prohibited from operating domestic routes in foreign countries, which is the issue here. And that to me is fundamentally wrong Sad
Thats exactly how I feel.  If our airlines were allowed to operate domestic routes in other countries, I would not be opposed to letting that countries airline operate domestic routes in Atlasia.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 09:42:25 PM »

I would like to propose an amendment:

Sections 4 and 5 are struck and replaced with:

4. There are to be no limits upon airline investment by foreign corporations or persons in Atlasia.

5. Any airline, whether foreign or domestic, has the right to fly on domestic routes unless prohibited through government action by the Republic of Atlasia.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 10:15:29 PM »

Thats exactly how I feel.  If our airlines were allowed to operate domestic routes in other countries, I would not be opposed to letting that countries airline operate domestic routes in Atlasia.

Quite Wink

'Hawk'
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »

This bill will:
  • Prevent government funds towards airlines in times of national emergency and economic crisis;
  • Hurt the public by allowing airlines to terminate air routes without notice;
  • Write xenophobia into our law and provoke foreign countries into a protection war;
  • Subject companies to arbitrary restrictions due to their ownership and location.

In my opinion, there is nothing salvagable about the bill.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »

This bill will:
  • Prevent government funds towards airlines in times of national emergency and economic crisis;
  • Write xenophobia into our law and provoke foreign countries into a protection war;
  • Subject companies to arbitrary restrictions due to their ownership and location.

So in real life, you basically dont support the United States aviation industry.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 05:50:24 PM »

This bill will:

So in real life, you basically dont support the United States aviation industry.

The first two dot points have nothing to do with supporting the aviation industry, in fact the first one hurts it.  This feels a little like a debate over flag burning, though; if you don't support banning it, you don't support the troops.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »

I hereby open the final vote on this Bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

Airline Protection Bill

1. No airline may receive federal subsidies in any circumstance.
2. Atlasian airlines are free to operate domestic routes at their discretion, and may terminate them at any time without notice.
3. If an airline wishes to fly an international route, it is subject to any restrictions regarding air travel between that country and Atlasia.
4. No foreign individual or corporation may own more than 49% of an airline registered in Atlasia.
5. No foreign airline may operate domestic routes in Atlasia.

Sponsor: Sen. Brandon W
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »

Nay
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »

Nay.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 01:29:45 PM »

Nay
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 02:08:38 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 08:19:35 PM »

Nay
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 09:00:49 PM »

I really wanted to exercise my veto. Sad
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »

Well first off my amendment was completely ignored by both the former PPT and by the Vice President in clear violation of the rules.

However I'm just going to vote a big Nay on this bill.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies