Which U.S. Senator is furthest ideologically from his/her state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:47:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which U.S. Senator is furthest ideologically from his/her state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Byron Dorgan (D-ND)

Kent Conrad (D-ND)

Jon Tester (D-MT)

Sherrod Brown (D-OH)

Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)

Tom Harkin (D-IA)

Norm Coleman (R-MN)

other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Which U.S. Senator is furthest ideologically from his/her state?  (Read 2023 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »

Obviously, last year the choice would have been Santorum.

This year I'd say Harkin, with the ND Senators close behind.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »

Bingaman is one of the most reliable social liberals in the Senate.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:58:48 PM »

I picked Sherrod Brown, who is absolutely awful.

I bet all the Democrats are going to pick Norm Coleman, in their attempts to "Santorumize" him.
Raoul Takemoto
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »

I picked Harkin - Tester and Brown don't have an established voting record to pick through yet.
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »

This list is inadequate. Martinez, Lieberman, Rockefeller, Sununu, Gregg, Casey, or Allard too should be considered.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:11:38 PM »

Likely Tester.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:39:28 PM »

Harkin seems rather liberal compared to Iowa as a whole but he seems to OK by his state, otherwise, I doubt they'd have re-elected him

As for Coleman in Minnesota, I'd like to think Minnesota just the made wrong call in 2002 and it won't happen again

Dave
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »

Harkin seems rather liberal compared to Iowa as a whole but he seems to OK by his state, otherwise, I doubt they'd have re-elected him

As for Coleman in Minnesota, I'd like to think Minnesota just the made wrong call in 2002 and it won't happen again

Dave
That's true. He is one lucky man.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »

Dave

Coleman, indeed, is. From what I saw of him grilling George Galloway, the Saddamite ran rings round him Roll Eyes, alas. He's nowt for Minnesota to boast about

Getting back to Harkin. It's his economic populism, not his social liberalism, that seems to resonate most in the state, otherwise I dare say he wouldn't have been re-elected in 1990, 1996 and 2002. Either that or he's had some lousy Republican opponents.

Sherrod Brown could well prove to be of a smilar mold to Harkin in Ohio

Dave
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »

Harkin is the only participant in the Wellstone pep rally to benefit from it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:24:50 PM »

Sununu or Gregg (is there any difference?).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »

Sununu or Gregg (is there any difference?).

Sununu has a few libertarian leanings.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 02:02:59 AM »

Dave

Coleman, indeed, is. From what I saw of him grilling George Galloway, the Saddamite ran rings round him Roll Eyes, alas. He's nowt for Minnesota to boast about

Getting back to Harkin. It's his economic populism, not his social liberalism, that seems to resonate most in the state, otherwise I dare say he wouldn't have been re-elected in 1990, 1996 and 2002. Either that or he's had some lousy Republican opponents.

Sherrod Brown could well prove to be of a smilar mold to Harkin in Ohio

Dave

If Brown actually sticks around.  He has said he won't seek re-election but you know how that goes <cough>Sen. Collins<cough>  However Bill Frist actually stuck to his claim so you never know.  I'm not sure why Brown would want to retire though seeing as he'd only be 60 in 2012.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 02:12:40 AM »

I would have to go off the list and pick Allard.  He is VERY conservative and from a moderate state.  he is generally low key so not thought of in the same league and Coburn, Inhofe, Demint, Santorum, but his voting record puts him right in there with them.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 02:03:25 PM »

If Brown actually sticks around.  He has said he won't seek re-election but you know how that goes <cough>Sen. Collins<cough>  However Bill Frist actually stuck to his claim so you never know.  I'm not sure why Brown would want to retire though seeing as he'd only be 60 in 2012.

I honestly don't see the point of any one running for and winning a Senate seat if they only intend to stick around for one term [shakes head]. Perhaps, something tells Brown that in a good year for the GOP, he'll be out on his arse. Still that would be depend on how wisely, or otherwise, he represents his state should he run again in 2012

Dave
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 02:15:59 PM »

Coleman.

Perhaps, something tells Brown that in a good year for the GOP, he'll be out on his arse.

Brown is a ferocious campaigner, and he'll be tough to dislodge as an incumbent. If the Republicans get their own "2006" in six years, he'd be in trouble; but he'd hold on. After all, what will they attack him on? Everyone in Ohio knew that he supported queer marriage, mandatory sodomy, live-birth abortions, Islamic terrorism, and so on... they voted for him anyway.

His economic positions are very popular in Ohio, and that will keep him in office.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:37 PM »

I would have to go off the list and pick Allard.  He is VERY conservative and from a moderate state.  he is generally low key so not thought of in the same league and Coburn, Inhofe, Demint, Santorum, but his voting record puts him right in there with them.

Aye, Allard's another one who doesn't fit his state well. Parts of it, yes, but by no means all of it. Still, Allards got some good company in Colorado if its House Republican delegation is anything to go by. All current Colorado Republicans in Congress are putrid

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »

Perhaps, something tells Brown that in a good year for the GOP, he'll be out on his arse.

Brown is a ferocious campaigner, and he'll be tough to dislodge as an incumbent. If the Republicans get their own "2006" in six years, he'd be in trouble; but he'd hold on. After all, what will they attack him on? Everyone in Ohio knew that he supported queer marriage, mandatory sodomy, live-birth abortions, Islamic terrorism, and so on... they voted for him anyway.

His economic positions are very popular in Ohio, and that will keep him in office.

I hope they do Smiley

Dave
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »

Brown is a ferocious campaigner,

So is Santorum.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »

Other: John Sununu, Judd Gregg and Wayne Allard

Sununu and Gregg are the last conservative, pro-life, right wing Senators left in the Northeast. Since they are close to home, they annoy me more. What do you mean BRTD by "libertarian leanings"? I am glad they switched their minds on the Marriage Ban in 2006 though, unlike Allard they see the writing on the wall (NH trending left)

I don't think Norm Coleman is all bad. I know it was just a token gesture but it was very important to me when he opposed drilling in ANWR. Token or not, there are no oil rigs there now killing wolves and caribou. He only won because Jesse Ventura condemned the Dems for turning Wellstone's funeral into a rally. No one would have noticed if Ventura hadn't decided to help the Republicans.

Colorado is heading left, but Allard is going in the other direction. He's the next Santorum.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 05:30:37 PM »

I'll say Coleman.

Definitely not the ND duo.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »

True. Note that Brown ran better than Santorum ever did, though; he won 56 percent against a two-term incumbent. Santorum got only 52 percent against an underfunded joke candidate in 2000 and won 49 percent in the year of Republican Revolution.

He's probably as partisan as Santorum, but his economic views put him closer to the mainstream of his state than Rick ever was.
Conan
conan

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »

But Santorum represented the complete opposite of PA.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 06:49:45 PM »

I don't think Norm Coleman is all bad. I know it was just a token gesture but it was very important to me when he opposed drilling in ANWR. Token or not, there are no oil rigs there now killing wolves and caribou.

Please explain to me how oil rigs kill caribou and wolves.   While I don't support drilling in ANWR I fail to see how this is possible.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 08:28:25 PM »

Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length