Should DC be represented in the Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:34:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should DC be represented in the Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Should DC be represented in the Senate?  (Read 9000 times)
raggage

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2004, 12:10:09 AM »

Who here thinks that DC should be represented in the senate?

I know this will be contentious, as I would think it would vote Democrat, and obviously the GOP will not like that.

But definately, (unless the DC voters are allowed to vote in Maryland senatorial elections - i'm not sure on this one can someone fill me in?)
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 12:16:40 AM »

DC voters pick a non-voting Representative, and do not vote for a Senator of any kind.

And that is exactly how it should be. DC is not a state. US Territories do not have voting members of Congress, and neither does the District... though people in both places are US citizens. So it's not really true to say DC is unique in not having representation.

They do vote for President, unlike people in Puerto Rico and other territories...
raggage

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:26:43 AM »

DC voters pick a non-voting Representative, and do not vote for a Senator of any kind.

And that is exactly how it should be. DC is not a state. US Territories do not have voting members of Congress, and neither does the District... though people in both places are US citizens. So it's not really true to say DC is unique in not having representation.

They do vote for President, unlike people in Puerto Rico and other territories...

I never said that it was unique in not having representation. The question was tailored towards D.C and nowhere else. And personally I think not having representation for some 600,000 people living inside the contenental united states is a travesty.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 12:39:31 AM »

I think DC deserve votes in Congress -- it's more populated than 2 other US states that have both a Rep and 2 Senators.

However, I don't care if they don't get a vote either. But if that's the case, and DC remains without representation, then they shouldn't have to pay taxes. It's only fair.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:56:23 AM »

With the exception of 545 people (and their families) who don't even make it their primary residence, no US citizen is forced to live in DC.  That said, I don't favor giving DC representation in the Senate, but as long as it has a population that is larger than the smallest state, I would favor giving it voting representation in the House.  I also favor giving Puerto Rico a fish or cut bait ultimatum.  End the special tax breaks and offer them the choice of statehood or independence.  The other territories aren't really large enough to worry about.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 03:31:44 AM »

I think they should get a voting Representative on the House but not any representation on he senate. or maybe(just maybe) be given 1 senator instead of 2.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 03:34:10 AM »

NO way.  Ok, maybe if we get to make a few more states out of Texas and Inland California..
raggage

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 04:30:06 AM »

NO way.  Ok, maybe if we get to make a few more states out of Texas and Inland California..

Well Texas does have the right to break into 4 (or maybe 5) smaller states if it so desires, doesn't it... I'm sure I read that somewhere.

And why should taxpaying US citizens not be represented. At least in the house! if not the senate. I bet most republicans are only against this because it would vote Democrat.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 08:14:17 AM »

...and I'll bet most Democrats are only so passionate about it because it would be a slave to the Democrat Party.  Something tells me that if this were a question of Utah, the sides might be switched Smiley

But, I agree that all taxpaying Americans should get the representation they deserve.  Why not annex DC into Maryland? Lets make DC the federal territory it was always supposed to be and confine it to federal properties with no permanent residences.

Well Texas does have the right to break into 4 (or maybe 5) smaller states if it so desires, doesn't it... I'm sure I read that somewhere.

And why should taxpaying US citizens not be represented. At least in the house! if not the senate. I bet most republicans are only against this because it would vote Democrat.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 08:54:48 AM »

...and I'll bet most Democrats are only so passionate about it because it would be a slave to the Democrat Party.  Something tells me that if this were a question of Utah, the sides might be switched Smiley

But, I agree that all taxpaying Americans should get the representation they deserve.  Why not annex DC into Maryland? Lets make DC the federal territory it was always supposed to be and confine it to federal properties with no permanent residences.

But you can't just move people out of their homes!

DC has more people than some of the states. Those people pay taxes. Why should they not have the same representation as someone who lives in Massachusetts or Montana?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 09:01:28 AM »

No they should not receive a vote in the Senate.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 09:41:32 AM »

In the House, yes.

In the Senate, no.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 09:44:24 AM »

In the House, yes.

In the Senate, no.

Why not the Senate? Why are people in DC not given the same rights as people in every other state?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 09:53:51 AM »

Because it isn't a state.  It's a city.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 10:20:50 AM »

but since they also pay taxes, they deserve equal representation. until DC has equal representation in congress, they should be exempt from federal taxes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 10:27:35 AM »

Favourite options:
1 Make it a part of Maryland
2 Make it a part of Virginia
3 Make it a state
4 Make Texas part of DC Smiley
5 Don't let them pay taxes
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 11:49:57 AM »

Option 5's the way to go.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 02:43:38 PM »

If they pay taxes they should be represented.
bejkuy

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 02:58:58 PM »

What percentage of D.C. residents pay federal taxes?

15% at best I would surmise.  Have you been to that wasteland?
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 03:32:48 PM »

No representation in the Senate.  Its really a matter of fairness.  There would be no competitive elections in DC ever.  Even in the most liberal and conservative states a good candidate would win, but not in DC which votes 80% liberal.  Not very fair at all.  Eternal incumbency, the dream of democrats since 1964.  They want it more than anything and they know ways of making it happen.  They just have to sucker the American people into socialized health care and the nation will fall.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 04:45:41 PM »

Sure.  I'll take two more Dem senators.

Lets face it:  The Dems will say yes because they want two more Dem senators, and the reps will say no because they DON'T want 2 more Dem senators.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 05:24:16 PM »

No Taxation Without Representation

What you people are saying is that a DC person isn't as good as a Marylander or a Virginian or an Alaskan.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2004, 07:30:56 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2004, 07:32:51 PM by Better Red Than Dead »

No representation in the Senate.  Its really a matter of fairness.  There would be no competitive elections in DC ever.  Even in the most liberal and conservative states a good candidate would win, but not in DC which votes 80% liberal.  Not very fair at all.  Eternal incumbency, the dream of democrats since 1964.  They want it more than anything and they know ways of making it happen.  They just have to sucker the American people into socialized health care and the nation will fall.

So how is it fair for Wyoming, Idaho and Utah to have 2 senators? You think it's fair for DC residents to have no representation because you don't like the way they vote?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2004, 07:32:05 PM »

anyway, the only plan that both sides could agree would probably be to make it part of Maryland or at least allow it to vote with Maryland.

Maryland gains an electoral vote, and it always votes Dem anyway, so it's a net loss of 2 electoral votes for us. But we gain a house seat.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2004, 07:57:31 PM »

The question is constitutional, not a matter of fairness or some arbitrary legislaion. The situation is different than a territory or PR, as many have in the past become states.

That said, DC is much more populous than the founders expected, but there is precedent to solve it. The current District is not mandated, and it originally was larger. The Virginia part was returned to VA (Alexandria and Arlington).

I have no objection to reducing the size of DC again and allowing large parts to go into MD. Then the question of representation is solved, with and extra voting Rep in Congress and a say on the two MD senators. As htmldon suggests DC can be carved back to the Mall and nearby areas including the major Federal buildings. They don't have to keep all in since many Federal buildings are in other states.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies