2008 Rhode Island Sanate Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2008 Rhode Island Sanate Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: who wins?
Jack Reed(D)

Lincoln Chaffe(I)

Generic Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: 2008 Rhode Island Sanate Race  (Read 2505 times)
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:20:24 PM »

I could see Chaffe polling a Lieberman in 2008.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:27:05 PM »

Jack Reed of Rhode Island
Main article: Rhode Island United States Senate election, 2008
Democratic incumbent Jack Reed is fairly popular, with a 64% approval rating according to SurveyUSA.[9] However, the right candidate could put this seat in play - the most obvious choice being Senator Lincoln Chafee, defeated for re-election in 2006 by Sheldon Whitehouse. In an election where Bush and Iraq are less important, Chafee might be able to succeed again. Whether Chafee is interested in the race, or even a Republican in 2008, is another matter entirely.[18] In any case, it would be a difficult race for the GOP, and Reed is unlikely to be a top target.

-wikipedia
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »

I love how the Wiki article calls him "fairly" popular...with a 64% approval rating...
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:07:50 PM »

What would be more interesting to see if Chafee becomes a Democrat and challenges Reed.

Nevertheless, I hope (and I believe) Chafee is finsihed.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:15:53 PM »

1) There's no way Chafee would run against Jack Reed, with whom he gets along well.
2) There's no way Chafee would run against a Democrat now, period.

And that's that.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »

If I were Chafee and I really really really wanted to get back into the Senate this is what I would do.

1. Move to Connecticut and take on Shays as a Democrat in 2008
2. Wait until Lieberman is up for re-election and then take him on

OR

I would move to New Hampshire and take on Sununu as a Democrat
sethm0

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 01:10:51 AM »

1. Jack Reed will never lose an election in Rhode Island. He is one of the most popular Senators in the country. Even Republicans give him positive approval ratings, and he is quite liberal.

2. A better question would be either who would win an RI Senate rematch in 6 years (Chafee v Whitehouse) or who would win the Governor's race in four years. Chafee would be formidible if he ran, but the Democats have several strong potential candidates as well.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:05:10 AM »

i love chafee and would support chafee in this race.

however, no one is going to beat reed.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »

1. Jack Reed will never lose an election in Rhode Island. He is one of the most popular Senators in the country. Even Republicans give him positive approval ratings, and he is quite liberal.

2. A better question would be either who would win an RI Senate rematch in 6 years (Chafee v Whitehouse) or who would win the Governor's race in four years. Chafee would be formidible if he ran, but the Democats have several strong potential candidates as well.

Reed won the open seat in 1996 63%-35% and in 2002 was re-elected 78%-22%.  It is not only unlikely that Chafee will challenge him, but even if he gets a Republican opponent in 2008.  I can, however, see Chafee running for Governor as an Independent in 2010; that would be interesting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »

More realistic scenario: In 2006, Chaffee, like Lieberman, announces that he will run as an independent should he lose the primary. As a result, he does.

How does the general between Chaffee, Laffey and Whitehouse go? I would assume Laffey wouldn't do much better than Schlesinger, and there would be some voters who voted for Whitehouse in rl but would have voted for Chaffee in this scenario.
I doubt it'd be anywhere near enough to overcome the vote loss to Laffey+the amount of votes he lost by anyways, though.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

More realistic scenario: In 2006, Chaffee, like Lieberman, announces that he will run as an independent should he lose the primary. As a result, he does.

How does the general between Chaffee, Laffey and Whitehouse go? I would assume Laffey wouldn't do much better than Schlesinger, and there would be some voters who voted for Whitehouse in rl but would have voted for Chaffee in this scenario.
I doubt it'd be anywhere near enough to overcome the vote loss to Laffey+the amount of votes he lost by anyways, though.

Something like this:

RHODE ISLAND SENATE
Whitehouse (D) 41%
Chafee (I) 35%
Laffey (R) 24%
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:43:13 PM »

Something like this:

RHODE ISLAND SENATE
Whitehouse (D) 41%
Chafee (I) 35%
Laffey (R) 24%

Why would Whitehouse lose a single vote to Laffey?  I would expect 100% of Laffey's vote to come from Chafee's voters, which would result in Whitehouse getting the same percentage as before.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »

Something like this:

RHODE ISLAND SENATE
Whitehouse (D) 41%
Chafee (I) 35%
Laffey (R) 24%

Why would Whitehouse lose a single vote to Laffey?  I would expect 100% of Laffey's vote to come from Chafee's voters, which would result in Whitehouse getting the same percentage as before.

Whitehouse would lose votes to Chafee; I don't know why you're interpreting it as Laffey gaining.  Laffey represents about 20%-25% of Rhode Islanders who currently approve of Bush; he gets that share of the GOP grassroots.  The closeness of the race between Whitehouse-Chafee in reality showed that Rhode Island still liked Chafee, it was just about his party.  In this scenario, as he is running as an Independent voters feel more comfortable voting for him; I'm assuming he would caucus with the Democrats anyway.  As Rhode Island is so Democratic statewide, Whitehouse still wins but with less than a majority of the vote. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »

Something like this:

RHODE ISLAND SENATE
Whitehouse (D) 41%
Chafee (I) 35%
Laffey (R) 24%

Whitehouse would lose votes to Chafee; I don't know why you're interpreting it as Laffey gaining.  Laffey represents about 20%-25% of Rhode Islanders who currently approve of Bush; he gets that share of the GOP grassroots.  The closeness of the race between Whitehouse-Chafee in reality showed that Rhode Island still liked Chafee, it was just about his party.  In this scenario, as he is running as an Independent voters feel more comfortable voting for him; I'm assuming he would caucus with the Democrats anyway.  As Rhode Island is so Democratic statewide, Whitehouse still wins but with less than a majority of the vote. 

I suppose that makes sense.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

If Chafee promised to caucus with the Democrats, he'd probably win. Otherwise, Whitehouse would win.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »

I really like Lincoln, I admire his work, but he won't win against Reed. No way, no how. He would probably lose by a bigger margin.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »

Reed in a landslide.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 10:29:10 PM »

There's no way this would be remotely close.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »

Could he run for Governor?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length