Lieberman in 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Lieberman in 2000
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Lieberman in 2000  (Read 15017 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 10:09:30 AM »

wrong, it was offensive to us Democrats who don't like moralistic idiots whining about violence in video games and swearing in music.

What is with far-leftists and their extreme dislike for moral people? Sorry that people like Joe Lieberman actually care what kids see on TV and hear in music. Sorry that people want kids to grow up with a sense of what is right and what is wrong. I don't like Joe Lieberman that much because he has some liberal social views but I thank Joe for having morals.

You know how I know you go to Catholc school KP...  What public school kid from Northeast Philadelphia would give a crap about what you just said?  

what kid would care? someone with brains. If more kids were religious or had morals, you think kids would be getting in as much trouble as they do these days, Handzus? I'm not understanding your point in saying I know you go to Catholic school. Ok would you like a prize for that? And I'm no parrot of a Catholic teacher. I truely believe in the Catholic faith and its ashame that someone as misguided as you doesn't have faith.

I'm not saying all of the teachings in Catholic theology class are wrong, but definitely out of touch at times.  They're usually taught by some old guy that lived in a rectory for 50+ years and has no idea.  That's part of the reason I think Catholic priests should get married.  

If anything I think kids are too sheltered and not exposed ENOUGH to learn right from wrong.  For being from Northeast Philadelphia especially at your age you seem to be very well read and straight edge.  You and I both know MANY are not.  The reason for this is not television, but as Akno said there are a lot of single parents or even kids from both parents whose parents could care less.  I went to HS with a lot of these types.  They would be the first to drink and smoke at say age 14.  They were good kids, but man did these types ever lead a lot of others down the wrong path.  I don't know about you, but a lot of us drank in parks especially Juniata and Wissinoming.  I only went a few times, but I knew people that went every weekend even on school nights.  This wasn't until we were say 15 or 16.

Speaking of local issues affecting Northeast Philadelphia, another issue not brought up enough are VERY young kids some as young as 6th grade walking around, acting thuggish, drinking 40s and even smoking marijuana.  And these kids don't care about anything.  They leave their bottles behind A-Plus stores and one even had the nerve to ask me to buy them Phillies blunts.  Hmm, wonder why???  I'm not trying to be racist here, but most of these kids are white.  KP, don't you think it's funny these issues aren't mentioned in the Northeast Times or the News Gleaner not nearly as much as Section 8?  Food for thought.

Conclusion:  Moral decline in youth is not as much from TV as it is from bad parenting.  I find that at times the kids who are more repressed at home tend to find these bad groups very quickly.      

It isn't always bad parenting, its just that the parents aren't able to be with their kids enough because they have to work 3 jobs at a time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2004, 08:03:37 PM »

wrong, it was offensive to us Democrats who don't like moralistic idiots whining about violence in video games and swearing in music.

What is with far-leftists and their extreme dislike for moral people? Sorry that people like Joe Lieberman actually care what kids see on TV and hear in music. Sorry that people want kids to grow up with a sense of what is right and what is wrong. I don't like Joe Lieberman that much because he has some liberal social views but I thank Joe for having morals.

You know how I know you go to Catholc school KP...  What public school kid from Northeast Philadelphia would give a crap about what you just said?  

what kid would care? someone with brains. If more kids were religious or had morals, you think kids would be getting in as much trouble as they do these days, Handzus? I'm not understanding your point in saying I know you go to Catholic school. Ok would you like a prize for that? And I'm no parrot of a Catholic teacher. I truely believe in the Catholic faith and its ashame that someone as misguided as you doesn't have faith.

Speaking of local issues affecting Northeast Philadelphia, another issue not brought up enough are VERY young kids some as young as 6th grade walking around, acting thuggish, drinking 40s and even smoking marijuana.  And these kids don't care about anything.  They leave their bottles behind A-Plus stores and one even had the nerve to ask me to buy them Phillies blunts.  Hmm, wonder why???  I'm not trying to be racist here, but most of these kids are white.  KP, don't you think it's funny these issues aren't mentioned in the Northeast Times or the News Gleaner not nearly as much as Section 8?  Food for thought.

Conclusion:  Moral decline in youth is not as much from TV as it is from bad parenting.  I find that at times the kids who are more repressed at home tend to find these bad groups very quickly.      

Handzus, this is one of those EXTREMELY rare events when I totally agree with you.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2004, 10:00:32 PM »

He was a good choice because he would have made a good president, but it didn't help Gore in any way.
ijohn57s

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 09:30:57 AM »

A good choice. Gore would have gotten buried without Lieberman.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 11:17:06 PM »

A good choice. Gore would have gotten buried without Lieberman.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 05:11:05 AM »

Edwards or Graham, both who where on the final short list with Lieberman, both who I think would have given Gore Florida.
Graham was a former Governor and in the Senate from that state. But I dont suppose Gore realised when he made the decision in August 2000 what an error he was making or how critical Florida woyuld become on election day and beyond.

Florida is the only state where Gore outspent Bush. He spent something like 60 hours straight campaigning there before the election. And it paid off, more people clearly went to the polls intending to vote for him.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2004, 01:34:16 PM »

It was a good choice politically, Gore didn't lose because of Lieberman. Personally, I'm not very fond of Joe Lieberman though, mostly because of his foreign policy views.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2004, 07:03:34 AM »

Without Lieberman Bush wins Florida by about 3 pionts... however with Edwards Gore could perhaps hold TN or take MO? With Graham I think Gore might take a bad nock in one or two states, say MN and IA, but is able to take FL and again might be able to hold onto AR and TN.  
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2004, 03:39:44 PM »

Graham
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 04:34:50 PM »

Neutral. People, by and large, don't vote for vice presidents.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2004, 01:59:19 PM »

he should have picked jean shaheen
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2004, 04:07:35 PM »

I think VP's do more to hurt and less to help a candidate.  Max Cleeland or Bill Richardson would have helped much more than Leiberman.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2005, 12:52:43 AM »

though I don't like Lieberman, I thought he was a good choice for Gore.  For one, he needed someone who had the moral thing going to distance himself from Clinton's antics.  Two, Lieberman's further to the right to keep Gore from looking totally liberal and looking out of touch.  Three, Florida was so close, and unless he picked Phil Grahm, he wouldn't get nearly that many votes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies