NH Senate 2008: First Democrat Enters the Race, Others Considering
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH Senate 2008: First Democrat Enters the Race, Others Considering
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NH Senate 2008: First Democrat Enters the Race, Others Considering  (Read 2441 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2007, 06:45:35 PM by TheresNoMoney »

PORTSMOUTH -- Mayor Steve Marchand confirmed Wednesday what he has been hinting at for weeks -- that he will run for the Democratic nomination to face Republican U.S. Sen. John Sununu in 2008.

"I've taken a step further," Marchand said. "I've made some more calls and received more calls, and now I'm prepared to announce my intention to run."

Marchand said he has been seriously thinking about becoming involved in this race since Thanksgiving, but he didn't want to announce his intentions prematurely.

"I didn't want to make the decision with my heart and not my head," the mayor said. "Now things are more workable."

Marchand said his choice was made easier after he received information that neither Gov. John Lynch nor former Gov. Jeanne Shaheen were interested in taking on Sununu next year. His decision was also bolstered by a statement made recently by Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., that Democrats intended to target the New Hampshire Senate race, along with two others, in 2008.

"With this being a targeted race, I know the resources will be there," Marchand said. "The question is: Is the candidate going to be a strong match against the incumbent? If you are -- and I think I'm as good a match as anyone -- you have a good chance."

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/01112007/nhnews-ph-por-marchand.runs.html

Marchand is only 33 years old and is has been regarded as the top under-40 Democrat in the state for some time now.

Another potential candidate seriously considering a run is Stonyfield Farms CEO Gary Hirshberg, who would be a very intriguing candidate. He is extremely intelligent, has tons of money, and has been a leader on environmental issues for many years. He also is extremely well-connected nationally and would likely be the most progressive candidate:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=The+Granite+Status%3a+Stonyfield+CEO+eyes+Senate+seat&articleId=0c690b42-95dd-43cf-8e05-d40a95a77114

The other prominent potential candidate seriously considering a run at this time is State Senator Dave Gottesman of Nashua, a prominent trial lawyer.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:48:27 PM »

I eat Stonyfield Farms yogurt. It's quite good.

On topic, does Marchand really stand a chance, or is he one of those who throws the hat in early precisely because he stands no chance? Interesting that Shaheen will not be looking for a rematch; unsurprising that Lynch is running for reelection as governor.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:50:50 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 06:54:29 PM by TheresNoMoney »

On topic, does Marchand really stand a chance, or is he one of those who throws the hat in early precisely because he stands no chance?

He would have a chance. The guy got elected Mayor at age 31 and has been in politics since his mid-20's. Governor John Lynch has been urging him to run. He is a very talented politician, although I have met him and he comes across as a bit of a lightweight for a position as important as the U.S. Senate.

Hirshberg is the candidate I'm most intrigued by at this time.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:06:40 PM »

Hirshberg!
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:47:24 PM »

Hopefully our Santorumization of Sununu will pay off and Marchand or Hirshberg will be the next Senator from New Hampshire.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »

PORTSMOUTH -- Mayor Steve Marchand confirmed Wednesday what he has been hinting at for weeks -- that he will run for the Democratic nomination to face Republican U.S. Sen. John Sununu in 2008.

"I've taken a step further," Marchand said. "I've made some more calls and received more calls, and now I'm prepared to announce my intention to run."

Marchand said he has been seriously thinking about becoming involved in this race since Thanksgiving, but he didn't want to announce his intentions prematurely.

"I didn't want to make the decision with my heart and not my head," the mayor said. "Now things are more workable."

Marchand said his choice was made easier after he received information that neither Gov. John Lynch nor former Gov. Jeanne Shaheen were interested in taking on Sununu next year. His decision was also bolstered by a statement made recently by Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., that Democrats intended to target the New Hampshire Senate race, along with two others, in 2008.

"With this being a targeted race, I know the resources will be there," Marchand said. "The question is: Is the candidate going to be a strong match against the incumbent? If you are -- and I think I'm as good a match as anyone -- you have a good chance."

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/01112007/nhnews-ph-por-marchand.runs.html

Marchand is only 33 years old and is has been regarded as the top under-40 Democrat in the state for some time now.

Another potential candidate seriously considering a run is Stonyfield Farms CEO Gary Hirshberg, who would be a very intriguing candidate. He is extremely intelligent, has tons of money, and has been a leader on environmental issues for many years. He also is extremely well-connected nationally and would likely be the most progressive candidate:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=The+Granite+Status%3a+Stonyfield+CEO+eyes+Senate+seat&articleId=0c690b42-95dd-43cf-8e05-d40a95a77114

The other prominent potential candidate seriously considering a run at this time is State Senator Dave Gottesman of Nashua, a prominent trial lawyer.

I'm glad the 2002 candidate isn't running!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:26:01 PM »

What city is he mayor of?

Worth nothing that NH has only 24 State Senators, so a State Senator there is almost equivalent to a US rep in Florida, so not a bad launching pad to statewide office.

What did Lynch do before he was Gov?
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »

Unless Lynch or Shaheen runs - Sununu will probably win in '08.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 10:33:58 PM by TheresNoMoney »

Portsmouth.

Worth nothing that NH has only 24 State Senators, so a State Senator there is almost equivalent to a US rep in Florida, so not a bad launching pad to statewide office.

I'm not impressed by any of our State Senators at this time (most are charisma-challenged). I can't really see any of them being competitive with Sununu.

COE of Knoll, Inc. (national furniture co.), president of the University System of NH Board of Trustrees, and also owned a consulting business.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:07:51 PM »

Unless Lynch or Shaheen runs - Sununu will probably win in '08.

They said the same thing about Charlie Bass and Jeb Bradley in 2006.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:18:55 PM »

They said the same thing about Charlie Bass and Jeb Bradley in 2006.
That was a lucky fluke and I bet both of them (at least Shea-Porter) will be a one term congressman.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 10:36:56 PM by TheresNoMoney »

That was a lucky fluke and I bet both of them (at least Shea-Porter) will be a one term congressman.

Well, you'll be wrong then. I love people from Colorado who think they know anything about New Hampshire voters.

And please don't root for my Patriots.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:42:36 PM »

And please don't root for my Patriots.
I can take the stuff about NH and CO voters but not my Pats - you're starting fighting words with me! My fists are ready!

I grew up 15 minutes from Foxboro. I saw Brady's coming out game against the Chargers in '01 (down by 10 with 4 to go and won it).
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

Alright, we'll see what happens then.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 10:54:35 PM by CPT MikeyMike »

BLUF: You can't mess with my Sox or my Pat!

Coming from New England, you should know better than that.

BTW: I hope you'll agree with...
Patriots at Chargers: The best match-up of the four games.  Both teams are very similar.  Great running game (LT v. Maroney/Dillon) great defense for both teams and great coaches.  However, Brady has the edge at QB over the rookie Rivers.  Martyball has not been effective in the playoffs with a 5-12 record and Marty did blow the Chargers/Jets playoff game in ‘04.  This is Marty’s best chance to get to the Super Bowl but I’m a Pats fan and I’m not going against them.

Patriots: 27 Chargers: 17
Conan
conan

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »

The Reps arent getting any House seats back in New England. Maybe PA in the northeast but probably a net loss in 08 here.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:25 PM »

I do agree with you there. Anybody who bets against Brady and Bellichick playing an inexperienced team like the Chargers is stupid.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 11:07:27 PM by CPT MikeyMike »

Anybody who bets against Brady and Bellichick playing an inexperienced team like the Chargers is stupid.
Well we may not agree with New England politcs but at least we can agree with the Pats and Sox.

I'll stop taking about it on this site because it is off the topic. You can chime in on this on the NFL Divisional Playoff Thread. Later!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 01:38:25 AM »

Scoonie is such a hack that he doesn't want people of different political beliefs rooting for "his" sports teams. Wow, what a loser.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 02:08:29 AM »

The Reps arent getting any House seats back in New England. Maybe PA in the northeast but probably a net loss in 08 here.
I wasn't aware that there was much left to loose as far as House seats go.  Shays is really the only one left isn't he?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 02:13:17 AM »

I wasn't aware that there was much left to loose as far as House seats go.  Shays is really the only one left isn't he?
I think he was also referring to NY,NJ & PA
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »

I think he was also referring to NY,NJ & PA

Yes; there are two seats in NJ that will become vyulnerable if their incumbents run for Senate, and Ferguson should be a Dem target after it surprisingly came so close this year. In New York, Walsh will be a target in his Kerry seat; he only won because Maffei was a poor candidate chosen at a time when Walsh looked unbeatable. King might be easier to unseat in a Presidential year as well.

That leaves:

Vulnerable Dems:
Altmire
Shea-Porter

Vulnerable GOPers:
Ferguson
Walsh
Shays
Gerlach
King (maybe)

Which favors the Dems in the Northeast.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »

King's not going to win by a landslide anytime soon (as long as he gets a first or second rate opponent), but he's not what I'd strictly speaking call vulnerable.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »

Katrina Swett, the 2002 NH-02 candidate, is in for the Senate race. She lost 57% to 41% against Charlie Bass that year.

Two Democrats have now announced with probably 1 or 2 more by the end of the month.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 01:01:46 PM »

Katrina Swett, the 2002 NH-02 candidate, is in for the Senate race. She lost 57% to 41% against Charlie Bass that year.
That's Dick Swett's daughter? Correct?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies