RISK suggestions and feedback (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:25:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK suggestions and feedback (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RISK suggestions and feedback  (Read 16728 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »

I'm in favour of keeping Canada and Mexico in the game, but the size of the Neutral Army should probably be increased (particularly in Canada).

I like the way you're running the different game styles, but I'll wait and see what the various missions you chose were before commenting further on that. If Canada was to be split up, it should probably no longer be neutral but regionalised like the general map. (In such a scenario, it may be best to play without Mexico at all).

I think the regional reinforcement bonus for the New England and Southeast are one too high, given their levels of defensiveness. For the same reason the Plains is probably one too low.

Anyway, you've done a great job running the games and I certainly won't complain if no changes whatsoever are made. Smiley

And there's a variant, not covered by the rules, where everybody gets deployments and then everybody gets to attack, and the starting player of these two phases rotates around the table, which I played for awhile. Also works well.

This sounds similar to the variant released on the 'Risk II' computer game called 'Same-Time Risk' (which is the prefered rule format when I play with friends). It allows all players to issue orders simultaneously - therefore eliminating the significant disadvantage of being the last player to get a turn.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:48:25 PM »

This sounds similar to the variant released on the 'Risk II' computer game called 'Same-Time Risk' (which is the prefered rule format when I play with friends). It allows all players to issue orders simultaneously - therefore eliminating the significant disadvantage of being the last player to get a turn.

I briefly mulled over such a version, but it seems a little unfeasible for an internet forum.  (I'm just thinking about how 'border clashes', 'spoils of war' and 'surge attacks' would work on here, and it just seems too complicated.)

It's fair to say that some adaptations would be required, e.g. in a border clash, both dice throws are considered attacking and so no any tie is discounted (instead of resulting in an attacking loss).

But yeah, it may need too much extra effort to work properly.

As you've probably noticed, I 'borrowed' the Capital version from the RISK II computer game. Wink

Yep, it's a game I'm too familiar with.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »

BTW, given that Canada and Mexico are now officially no longer involved, my comments on the regional reinforcements should be revised. The following take into consideration, primarily, the number of states per region and the number of those states that border elsewhere.

Pacific - 2
Southwest - 4
Plains - 5
South - 3
Midwest - 5
Southeast - 3
Mid-Atlantic - 3
New England - 2

What do you guys think of the charming yet wholly redundant and inaccurate compass featured in the new map? Smiley

It has my full support. Smiley

It would be awesome to get a game of sametime risk going.
Agreed, but I think Joe's already pointed out that this is unlikely.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:46:42 AM »

Or to include the rule I've seen for capitols which states that if you lose your capital you lose every territory in that region to that opponent. That may make people play a little more defensively.
^^^^^
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies