RISK suggestions and feedback (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:46:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK suggestions and feedback (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RISK suggestions and feedback  (Read 16716 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:15 PM »

So it's been decided that Canada and Mexico will no longer be a feature.  Goodbye to them.

Also, based on feedback here, I've reduced the number of initial battalions from 30 to 25, and I've also adjusted the values of the regions as well.

I'm still mulling over a possible battalion limit for states at any given time, and may well create a poll on it in future.

I don't like the idea of a limit.

Neither do I; the entire fun of the game is stockpiling like 20 guys on one single state and then steamrolling over the countryside.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:35:46 PM »

BTW, given that Canada and Mexico are now officially no longer involved, my comments on the regional reinforcements should be revised. The following take into consideration, primarily, the number of states per region and the number of those states that border elsewhere.

Pacific - 2
Southwest - 4
Plains - 5
South - 3
Midwest - 5
Southeast - 3
Mid-Atlantic - 3
New England - 2

Taken into consideration. Smiley  I'll keep it as it is currently for another game or two, but in the mean time, what do others think about this?

I think the Pacific should be good for a billion reinforcements because it's just that great a place.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »

What do you guys think of leaving aside two (randomly decided) states at the beginning of each game, populated by only 1 neutral battalion each?  The idea would be so that all six players start with an equal eight states.  The states would of course still be part of the game; they just wouldn't be controlled by a player at the beginning.

I think that would be an excellent idea, as I do think it's kind of unfair that two players have to sacrifice at least one extra batallion on a ninth state that they probably have no intention of keeping.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:55:07 PM »

But the neutrals don't get reinforcements, so either they need more battalions than average or a means of being reinforced to be competitive.

Alternative idea
How about the neutrals can't be invaded but if you turn in a set of RISK cards with them, you get the State and the 2 battalions.  While the State is untouchably neutral you get 1 less battalion for holding the rest of the States in its region.

If you did that, then you'd also want to make it so that New York definitely cannot be a neutral state and also that the pair cannot be Pennsylvania plus one of Delaware or New Jersey, because such a setup would be... problematic.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:04:58 PM »

Or to include the rule I've seen for capitols which states that if you lose your capital you lose every territory in that region to that opponent. That may make people play a little more defensively.

Might be a potential source of a lack of fairness, though, because the guy who makes Maine his capital will have much, much less to worry about than the guy who is forced to make his capital in the Plains or in the Midwest.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »

Or to include the rule I've seen for capitols which states that if you lose your capital you lose every territory in that region to that opponent. That may make people play a little more defensively.

Might be a potential source of a lack of fairness, though, because the guy who makes Maine his capital will have much, much less to worry about than the guy who is forced to make his capital in the Plains or in the Midwest.

Forced? Rational individuals always have a choice Gabu. They always do.

Not everyone can get allocated a state that is as naturally impervious to invasion as Maine.  You'll get a Maine capital, a Florida capital, and a capital in either Alaska or Hawaii, and after that, the remaining three players will be at a completely and utterly unavoidable disadvantage.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies